Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does Everyone Want A LB Early?! WASTED PICK!
Everyone keeps saying that backer is a need for us, which shocks me and I'm just so confused!

The NFL is transitioning (If it's not already there) to playing a nickel defense as a team's base defense, which means we only need two backers.

We have Burfict, even if he's suspended for four games (which could be reduced), and Preston Brown, who's pretty damn good himself, which means we have our backers who will be on the field for the majority of our snaps, so we don't need another backer early!

I realize that Brown's only on a one-year contract, but we can hopefully resign him next year or just draft a backer early.

We could even draft a guy mid-to-late and hope that we develop him, but why waste an early pick on a backer in this draft when we have other needs?!

What am I missing here?!
Reply/Quote
Besides brown, you have Burfict, who is out at least 1/4 of the year. Then who?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Burfict is already suspended 4 games and if he looks at a ref wrong he will get suspended again.

Plus his concussions are mounting. If they continue he may be out for that too.

Not sure he can be counted on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 01:14 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Burfict is already suspended 4 games and if he looks at a ref wrong he will get suspended again.

Plus his concussions are mounting. If they continue he may be out for that too.

Not sure he can be counted on.

Exactly. Burfict is on borrowed time now matter how you slice it. That absolutely makes LB a reasonable early pick.
Reply/Quote
Burfict has only been on the field around 50% of the time for the past couple of years, Preston Brown is on a one year deal, and this defense was one of the worst against the run last season.  The AFC North continues to be a division where stopping the run is paramount.  In hypothetical playoff games for the next couple of seasons, you need a defense that can stop a heavy running team like the Jags, Bills, and Steelers.  Hitting on a LB draft pick would be a very good thing for this team.
Reply/Quote
If the defending opinion for not drafting a top LB is the idea that teams are going to Nickle as their base? I can't really get on board with that idea.

What if I told you that teams go to Nickle because they don't have the LB personnel to effectively cover the underneath routes? Going into Nickle really make the defense susceptible to the "surprise" running plays. You know, those runs that seem to come on what would appear to be passing downs.

Having a bonafide SAM backer that can actually cover a TE, as well as play the run, would be a tremendous thing to have.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Isn't your #1 most wanted draft pick a safety when we already have both starting safeties signed for the next 3 years? Tongue

I understand why people want a Linebacker early on. Brown and Burfict are on borrowed time for different reasons, Vigil looked like complete shit last year, Evans is a 2nd year 6th round pick who showed some promise but a lot of concerns as well and Rey who's, well...Rey...

I mean look at these ratings for God's sake:
https://imgur.com/p4Dk8hX

When Burfict isn't on the field (Something that's been happening more and more recently) our LBs are terrible. Can't cover the middle of the field, can't mirror RBs, get shredded by TEs. Shooting the wrong gaps in run defense. It's a travesty.

Because of Brown and Burfict, I don't think LB is a first round consideration at this point unless someone like Edmunds or Smith is there. Rashaan Evans, in my opinion, would be a last resort pick if Price, Daniels, Hernandez and Wynn were all gone by 21, but really shouldn't be considered unless we are incapable of upgrading our interior OL with that pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Isn't your #1 most wanted draft pick a safety when we already have both starting safeties signed for the next 3 years? Tongue

I understand why people want a Linebacker early on. Brown and Burfict are on borrowed time for different reasons, Vigil looked like complete shit last year, Evans is a 2nd year 6th round pick who showed some promise but a lot of concerns as well and Rey who's, well...Rey...

When Burfict isn't on the field (Something that's been happening more and more recently) our LBs are terrible. Can't cover the middle of the field, can't mirror RBs, get shredded by TEs. Shooting the wrong gaps in run defense. It's a travesty.

Because of Brown and Burfict, I don't think LB is a first round consideration at this point unless someone like Edmunds or Smith is there. Rashaan Evans, in my opinion, would be a last resort pick if Price, Daniels, Hernandez and Wynn were all gone by 21, but really shouldn't be considered unless we are incapable of upgrading our interior OL with that pick.

This. Give me speed and athleticism at that position. But I don't take LB round one unless their top guy is there that fits a need. First round has to be a center/guard.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:38 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Isn't your #1 most wanted draft pick a safety when we already have both starting safeties signed for the next 3 years? Tongue

Good point about me wanting a safety except James would be a VERY BIG upgrade from what we have, whereas taking a backer could leave that backer as the third-best backer on the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 10:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everyone keeps saying that backer is a need for us, which shocks me and I'm just so confused!

The NFL is transitioning (If it's not already there) to playing a nickel defense as a team's base defense, which means we only need two backers.

We have Burfict, even if he's suspended for four games (which could be reduced), and Preston Brown, who's pretty damn good himself, which means we have our backers who will be on the field for the majority of our snaps, so we don't need another backer early!

I realize that Brown's only on a one-year contract, but we can hopefully resign him next year or just draft a backer early.

We could even draft a guy mid-to-late and hope that we develop him, but why waste an early pick on a backer in this draft when we have other needs?!

What am I missing here?!

I'm in agreement with you more than some here are, but Brown isn't great in coverage. He is a stud when it comes to defending the run and making tackles though.
Plus, it might be worth moving on from the constant headache that is Burfict.

The Bengals may want to draft a LB high as insurance in case Burfict continues to miss more games beyond this 4-game suspension and/or in case Brown goes elsewhere after this year.
But I agree that it's probably not a necessity for this year specifically because the starters will be Burfict and Brown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the defending opinion for not drafting a top LB is the idea that teams are going to Nickle as their base?  I can't really get on board with that idea.

What if I told you that teams go to Nickle because they don't have the LB personnel to effectively cover the underneath routes?  Going into Nickle really make the defense susceptible to the "surprise" running plays.  You know, those runs that seem to come on what would appear to be passing downs.  

Having a bonafide SAM backer that can actually cover a TE, as well as play the run, would be a tremendous thing to have.
I totally agree with this Sunset.

We have been very poor for years at both reliably stuffing the run and covering TEs and RBs.

Which is why I like Rashaad Evans so much.  The guy is a great tackler, very good at shedding, a quick twitch to blitz the interior gaps and has the speed to cover well.   That would go a long way towards eliminating two of our defense's most glaring weaknesses.

I actually like him better than the other two because of this.   And he is an ascending player in terms of performance.

Definitely not a wasted pick.   I mean you have to say that offensive linemen is the definite priority in the draft.  But I'm much higher on this guy than I was on Rivers who I think we took at 9.   If we get Price or Ragnow in the 2nd and another offensive and defensive tackle (Capa and Nnandi maybe) in the 3rd and I'd be a very happy man.
Reply/Quote
This is kind of 2 fold for me. On one hand I understand why you think LB'er would be covered for THIS YEAR. You're right, we do have a few options but the one thing that has killed this team for the last few years is speed and lack of athleticism at the position. Outside of a LB that can fly sideline to sideline, I would agree with you that LB'er could probably wait. But if Edmunds, Smith or Evans are still there at 21, you have to give them a long hard look.

With that said, I honestly think that we already have an in-house candidate that we could look to if we finally select a true FS that we don't currently have on this roster. Much like teams have done with bigger safeties already, I think we should look at moving either Illoka or Williams up into the LB'er corp on passing downs. Both are true SS that love to play close to the line already and this would give them the ability to read and react more than they have at safety and 20 yards off the ball when you have to make guesses at what a WR is doing. The Rams did it with Mark Barron who was struggling at S and look what happened. Same could be said about Deone Buchannon.

If James is there at 21, I'd take him in a heartbeat and slide one of our safeties into a LB role to cover TE's and add more speed. Two birds, one stone.
Reply/Quote
As it's already been said the nickle argument is flawed. They do this because they can't cover three wide sets with three linebackers on the field, but if a linebacker could actually cover well you can stay in your standard base and have better run support fits. The new age of coverage linebackers is allowing teams to stay in three linebacker sets more often.
Reply/Quote
U better hope brown isn't one of the 2 lbers on the field in nickel. If he is we're in trouble. In nickel it would be burfict and either vigil or Evans.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 10:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Everyone keeps saying that backer is a need for us, which shocks me and I'm just so confused!

What am I missing here?!

As sad as it is to say it we have to prepare for life without my main man Burfict. Not against a LB with one of the first two
picks if we get a top Center for this very reason. Haslett also is not a good LB coach from what i have seen, he needs his
LB's to be polished. This is all moot though as LB is not being talked about until the mid rounds.

Shaqueem Griffin i would like here even if he is missing a hand honestly. Dude has mad heart and is athletic as they get.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 11:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: As it's already been said the nickle argument is flawed. They do this because they can't cover three wide sets with three linebackers on the field, but if a linebacker could actually cover well you can stay in your standard base and have better run support fits. The new age of coverage linebackers is allowing teams to stay in three linebacker sets more often.

Eh the majority of teams run Nickle in those situations anyways no matter who they have at LB. I still think we need to fast LBERS but no matter what we will be playing more Nickle and Dime then base. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We need more Athleticism in the Middle of the Defense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:48 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: This. Give me speed and athleticism at that position. But I don't take LB round one unless their top guy is there that fits a need. First round has to be a center/guard.

NOT when center guard is stacked still in the second. If they like Rashaan Evans enough that’s the pick at 21, then ragnow or price in the second and give me deshon Elliot in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 08:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having a bonafide SAM backer that can actually cover a TE, as well as play the run, would be a tremendous thing to have.

Agreed!
Reply/Quote
I think Brown is better suited at SAM. I do not believe he's ever played MLB in a 4-3.

VB is better when he doesn't have to think

So we need a MLB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote