Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Dre Kirkpatrick at this point?
Were already loaded at CB even without him.  Not sure why your paying your 4th/5th corner 12 million at this point.  Unless the plan is to convert him to safety which I could see at this point but who knows.  That move would probably mean Williams to full time LB.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/21/21186298/cincinnati-bengals-free-agency-dre-kirkpatrick-staying-trae-waynes
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:07 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Were already loaded at CB even without him.  Not sure why your paying your 4th/5th corner 12 million at this point.  Unless the plan is to convert him to safety which I could see at this point but who knows.  That move would probably mean Williams to full time LB.

Does DreK tackle well enough to even consider moving him to S?

I'm a bit perplexed why he hasn't been cut yet.  Seems like the CB moves were made because of him.  I like his spirit bu not much else about his game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Maybe were planning on changing the NFL with a complete new defense. Maybe like a 4-1-6 base d or 4-2-5. I could see it at this point. Especially with the way NFL offenses are going at this point. Speed on defense. Also with the extra speed the Bengals also made it a point to bring in guys that are great vs the run.

DE- Dunlap and Hubbard/Lawson
DT- Atkins and Reader
LB- Germaine Pratt
CB- Jackson, Waynes, and Alexander
CB/S- Dre Kirkpatrick
S/LB- Sean Williams
S- Jesse Bates
Reply/Quote
It looks like they are gearing up for a battle royale at the CB spot. Someone definitely has to go at some point.
Reply/Quote
Yeah right, move Dre to Safety to take more advantage of his tackling skills.  That is the strongest part of his game.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:11 PM)McC Wrote: Does DreK tackle well enough to even consider moving him to S?

I'm a bit perplexed why he hasn't been cut yet.  Seems like the CB moves were made because of him.  I like his spirit bu not much else about his game.

Could be due to the rule about only being able to designate 2 players per team as post June 1 cuts, and cut them whenever.  Didn't Cordy Glenn count as one of those cuts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:21 PM)bengaloo Wrote:  Someone definitely has to go at some point.

Maybe not.

It seems like we have a lot of money tied up in CBs, but according to that story two other NFL teams have more than us.

Both Dre and Jackson have had injury issues.  Jackson is on the last year of his deal and Alexander is just signedfor one year.  Maybe we overpay them all for just one year to get a better idea of who to keep next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:19 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Maybe were planning on changing the NFL with a complete new defense.  Maybe like a 4-1-6 base d or 4-2-5. I could see it at this point.  Especially with the way NFL offenses are going at this point.  Speed on defense.   Also with the extra speed the Bengals also made it a point to bring in guys that are great vs the run.

DE- Dunlap and Hubbard/Lawson
DT- Atkins and Reader
LB- Germaine Pratt
CB- Jackson, Waynes, and Alexander
CB/S- Dre Kirkpatrick
S/LB- Sean Williams
S- Jesse Bates

Who knows?   There is that constant chess match going on between offenses and defenses.

The biggest problem with that is it leaves you susceptible to the power running game, which is what the Pats did to the Chargers the week after the Chargers stymied Lamar and the Ratbirds.  I guess it's critical to have the LB/S hybrids who can tackle.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It’s a passing league right? You can never have too many CBs!
Reply/Quote
There is another option that no one has really looked at or talked about. William Jackson regressed a little last season and is still on his rookie contract. Perhaps the new coaching staff doesn't have faith in him and he is no longer going to be a starter.

Not something I'm saying I support, just another observation and possibility.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe not.

It seems like we have a lot of money tied up in CBs, but according to that story two other NFL teams have more than us.

Both Dre and Jackson have had injury issues.  Jackson is on the last year of his deal and Alexander is just signedfor one year.  Maybe we overpay them all for just one year to get a better idea of who to keep next year.

This is how I see it also.

CB thunderdome.  Best case scenario 2020 shows you who to keep going forward.  Worst case scenario we are insulated from injuries at a position that always seems to bite us.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:07 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Were already loaded at CB even without him.  Not sure why your paying your 4th/5th corner 12 million at this point.  Unless the plan is to convert him to safety which I could see at this point but who knows.  That move would probably mean Williams to full time LB.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/21/21186298/cincinnati-bengals-free-agency-dre-kirkpatrick-staying-trae-waynes

How are we loaded? 

Did you see who was playing CB for us last year? WJ3 misses as many games as he plays, and has been sort of a disappoinment. We signed a guy who is an average #2 CB, and another guy who is a solid slot guy. Then there's a bunch of unknowns who are fighting for roster spots.

Without Dre, we have maybe three guys who you can line up and feel comfortable with. That's not enough in today's NFL. You cant claim to be loaded at a position group if you don't even have a single pro bowl player. We don't even have a single #1 corner on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Isn’t it a 55 man roster now? CBs seem to always get dinged. Maybe we are just preparing for when Burrow starts running up the score on teams and our opponents have to start throwing every snap.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is another option that no one has really looked at or talked about. William Jackson regressed a little last season and is still on his rookie contract. Perhaps the new coaching staff doesn't have faith in him and he is no longer going to be a starter.

Not something I'm saying I support, just another observation and possibility.

I've been thinking about this too. We could actually trade WJIII, and doing so would clear 9.5M in cap space. Cutting Kirkpatrick (who has no trade value) would only save around 8.2M I think. And Kirkpatrick is a dedicated team leader (even if he can't tackle). 

In the end I think it's just because they believe in loading up at CB and D-line and seeing which cheap players than can acquire at LB and S. But I wouldn't be shocked to see a WJIII trade. Lack of ball production from our CBs was one of our bigger problems, and a lot of that was WJIII. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:50 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: It’s a passing league right? You can never have too many CBs!

Key word Is “good” ones.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:00 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I've been thinking about this too. We could actually trade WJIII, and doing so would clear 9.5M in cap space. Cutting Kirkpatrick (who has no trade value) would only save around 8.2M I think. And Kirkpatrick is a dedicated team leader (even if he can't tackle). 

In the end I think it's just because they believe in loading up at CB and D-line and seeing which cheap players than can acquire at LB and S. But I wouldn't be shocked to see a WJIII trade. Lack of ball production from our CBs was one of our bigger problems, and a lot of that was WJIII. 

Why are we trying to clear cap space? We're having trouble finding enough decent players to give  to.all this money to. Cap space isn't an issue. No reason to get rid of your best players if you actually care about winning games 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 04:50 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: It’s a passing league right?  You can never have too many CBs!

Yes you can, 53 of them might be a bit much...
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:57 PM)Mobster Wrote: How are we loaded? 

Did you see who was playing CB for us last year? WJ3 misses as many games as he plays, and has been sort of a disappoinment. We signed a guy who is an average #2 CB, and another guy who is a solid slot guy. Then there's a bunch of unknowns who are fighting for roster spots.

Without Dre, we have maybe three guys who you can line up and feel comfortable with. That's not enough in today's NFL. You cant claim to be loaded at a position group if you don't even have a single pro bowl player. We don't even have a single #1 corner on the roster.

Probably not loaded but were deep.  Just saying we have so many needs right now and were giving our 4th corner 12 mil.  Money not well spent.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:15 PM)Mobster Wrote: Why are we trying to clear cap space? We're having trouble finding enough decent players to give  to.all this money to. Cap space isn't an issue. No reason to get rid of your best players if you actually care about winning games 

According to spotrac (and backed up by Overthecap.com) we have about 20.7M, but that doesn't yet include Reader's and Alexander's salaries. So really we have around 3-5 million left, not enough to pay even our rookie class. I don't see how we don't have to shed a salary. We may have been assuming it would be Dalton's, but that's not as sure thing either. 

And I don't agree WJIII is that great of a player. He looked like a rising star a couple of years ago, but really, he has two picks in three years. He's in a contract year. Trading him at this point is a real option. 
Reply/Quote

Dre at Safety?  He gets hurt tackling WRs...think how he would fare against TEs.  
Reply/Quote