Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Why Has Smack Talk Been Neutered
I've noticed this place has gotten more tame over the last few seasons.

Now all i'm seeing are positive vibes and congratulations in this community. I engage in more smack with my girlfriend than I do on this forum.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:35 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I've noticed this place has gotten more tame over the last few seasons.

Now all i'm seeing are positive vibes and congratulations in this community. I engage in more smack with my girlfriend than I do on this forum.

There are two many reasons I can think of for why this has happened.

1) The Bengals were bad for several seasons in a row. Why bother stopping by and talking trash when the other teams viewed them as a free win and saw the Bengals as the little brother of the division.

2) This one is the bigger thing however. Most of the quality posters from the best days of smack on the OG board just aren't around anymore. Some never made it to the new board, and some just stopped posting. Sure Pat is still here and a valued member of the board as is StrictlyBiz but after that who really post here in smack from the glory days?

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
GMDino (usually in PnR now)
6andcounting (one or two posts in years)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)
SteelyJ (not sure he even came to the new board)
coltsfan4ever (still pissed that his gf left him for a QB)
Beaker (Not on here much)
Faulk (not in smack much)
JS-Steelerfan (See him once in awhile in Around the NFL)
Sociopathicsteelerfan (Mostly PnR if he is around)
34inXXIII (Barely around)

I mean now we get drive by posts at times from Poe that nobody misses and that one Browns fan who shows up predicts it is there year and is gone week 3. 

Maybe if the Bengals remain on top others will show up and post, but perhaps with the Reddit and Twitter options now, people are just done with the smack talk on the message board days.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There are two many reasons I can think of for why this has happened.

1) The Bengals were bad for several seasons in a row. Why bother stopping by and talking trash when the other teams viewed them as a free win and saw the Bengals as the little brother of the division.

2) This one is the bigger thing however. Most of the quality posters from the best days of smack on the OG board just aren't around anymore. Some never made it to the new board, and some just stopped posting. Sure Pat is still here and a valued member of the board as is StrictlyBiz but after that who really post here in smack from the glory days?

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)

I mean now we get drive by posts at times from Poe that nobody misses and that one Browns fan who shows up predicts it is there year and is gone week 3. 

Maybe if the Bengals remain on top others will show up and post, but perhaps with the Reddit and Twitter options now, people are just done with the smack talk on the message board days.

This pretty much nails it.  Unfortunately, now that the Bengals are competitive the Steelers are likely entering rebuilding mode.  If they can secure a top flight QB, e.g. Wilson or Rogers, they could be immediately competitive again, but that has obviously yet to happen.  I will say that the old day were quite enjoyable, for the most part, and I do miss the old crew.  You forgot The Bat, who was one of my favorite Bengals posters, he never really made the transition over here either.   Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This pretty much nails it.  Unfortunately, now that the Bengals are competitive the Steelers are likely entering rebuilding mode.  If they can secure a top flight QB, e.g. Wilson or Rogers, they could be immediately competitive again, but that has obviously yet to happen.  I will say that the old day were quite enjoyable, for the most part, and I do miss the old crew.  You forgot The Bat, who was one of my favorite Bengals posters, he never really made the transition over here either.   Sad

I knew I was leaving out some of the old crew... can't believe I left off Bat, if it was the old days I'd figure Shannie would owe me a few spanks on the backside and Rayne/Ghostwriter would peak in and try to watch.  Hilarious

I left off one other thing about why the smack talk used to be so good and that was that Jungle Noise was like "homer central" on the old boards. The Bengals were doing well so Jungle Noise just turned into this place where a lot of the posters not all of them guys like Holic were there and cool as were others but a lot just thought the Bengals were the greatest and there was to be no contradiction. If you debated, you were negative and "not a real fan". So people who wanted to talk football, be critical and be realistic ventured to smack talk. We have some of those posters now but with how bad the team has been of late, it looks foolish to say this guy is the greatest WR in the league and no one is better, or there is no QB I'd take over ours or we have the best LT or etc. These exact things happened on the old board, it was Palmer is better than Ben, and Ward isn't anything compared to Chad or later AJ Green, hell I remember the great Madieu Williams is better than Troy P days...yes people in Jungle Noise started saying Madieu Williams would be the best safety in the AFC if not the NFL That level of homerism, caused a lot of posters to migrate to smack and populate it along with the posters from other fanbases. I remember vividly when someone would journey into smack from Jungle Noise and just get lit on fire by everyone. Bengal fans and rival fans alike saying go back where you came from Jungle Noob.

Reply/Quote
Besides what has been said already I'll just add that those of us who have been around for a long time have come to have a kind of respect for (most of) the Bengals fans here.  So when you want to tell them congrats this is the place to come for it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There are two many reasons I can think of for why this has happened.

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)

Yay,  shoutout. Lol.

I started coming here less and less as the board slowed down. Instead of daily, maybe a couple days a week, to just gameday. Offseasons have been dead silent. Made a few posts around this time last year after being off for about a year. 

I'll try sticking around more.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I knew I was leaving out some of the old crew... can't believe I left off Bat, if it was the old days I'd figure Shannie would owe me a few spanks on the backside and Rayne/Ghostwriter would peak in and try to watch.  Hilarious

Just a little piece of old board history, for those that care at all.  I think it's widely known that I used to post under CalSteeler and that I was banned by Joe from Flo for personal reasons.  I briefly posted under "The Resurrection of Cal" before being banned by Joe again.  What probably isn't widely known is that Bat came up with my current forum name when he was smack talking a random Steelers fan.  The guy's posts where borderline unsettling and at the very least odd.  Bat suggested he change his name to SociopathicSteelerFan and I immediately PM'd him and told him I was going to steal that.  He's a good guy that I used to exchange e-mails with on a somewhat frequent basis.  As with all things like that it slowly atrophied away, but I will always appreciate the humor he brought to this sub-forum and, of course, the ingenuous forum name he coined.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 06:12 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Yay,  shoutout. Lol.

I started coming here less and less as the board slowed down. Instead of daily, maybe a couple days a week, to just gameday. Offseasons have been dead silent. Made a few posts around this time last year after being off for about a year. 

I'll try sticking around more.

Good to see you again. Hopefully there will be an increase around these parts.

Faulk sees you've popped up again and he'll have to post. 

And yeah.. it's smack.. Steelers suck and stuff.

(01-21-2022, 06:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Just a little piece of old board history, for those that care at all.  I think it's widely known that I used to post under CalSteeler and that I was banned by Joe from Flo for personal reasons.  I briefly posted under "The Resurrection of Cal" before being banned by Joe again.  What probably isn't widely known is that Bat came up with my current forum name when he was smack talking a random Steelers fan.  The guy's posts where borderline unsettling and at the very least odd.  Bat suggested he change his name to SociopathicSteelerFan and I immediately PM'd him and told him I was going to steal that.  He's a good guy that I used to exchange e-mails with on a somewhat frequent basis.  As with all things like that it slowly atrophied away, but I will always appreciate the humor he brought to this sub-forum and, of course, the ingenuous forum name he coined.

He was a lot of fun never knew he was involved in your forum name. Was sad he didn't transition over here as his wit is greatly missed. That and his yearly April Fools joke of being a steeler fan 

Reply/Quote
Back in 05 the mothership was kinda king of the jungle for fan interaction. Now there's so many social media platforms, facebook, twitter, snap chat and on and on. And so much of that has moved there.

The people on this site and others like it are mostly ole people who just don't get into talking shit as much as the youngins.
Reply/Quote
It's no fun anymore because the Steelers know that they're going to suck for years to come if they can't land Wilson or Rodgers!

They can come in and be the typical Steelers fans and just talk about the past, but nobody gives a shit about that!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 09:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Faulk sees you've popped up again and he'll have to post

Let me try to draw him back in here.

ATTENTION ALL: Not every natural pick route is an illegal pick and no, Antonio Brown did not push off to get open. Dre Kirkpatrick just sucks.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 09:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Good to see you again. Hopefully there will be an increase around these parts.

Faulk sees you've popped up again and he'll have to post. 

And yeah.. it's smack.. Steelers suck and stuff.

He was a lot of fun never knew he was involved in your forum name. Was sad he didn't transition over here as his wit is greatly missed. That and his yearly April Fools joke of being a steeler fan 

lol. I almost replied with "Greeeeeat..."

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76117913afe2e61e1bccc7...y.gif&ct=g]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 06:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Just a little piece of old board history, for those that care at all.  I think it's widely known that I used to post under CalSteeler and that I was banned by Joe from Flo for personal reasons.  I briefly posted under "The Resurrection of Cal" before being banned by Joe again.  What probably isn't widely known is that Bat came up with my current forum name when he was smack talking a random Steelers fan.  The guy's posts where borderline unsettling and at the very least odd.  Bat suggested he change his name to SociopathicSteelerFan and I immediately PM'd him and told him I was going to steal that.  He's a good guy that I used to exchange e-mails with on a somewhat frequent basis.  As with all things like that it slowly atrophied away, but I will always appreciate the humor he brought to this sub-forum and, of course, the ingenuous forum name he coined.

I’m Joe from Flo and now I’m going to ban you with my 3rd alternate moderator account.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 12:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: lol. I almost replied with "Greeeeeat..."

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76117913afe2e61e1bccc7...y.gif&ct=g]

[Image: up-to.gif]

(01-22-2022, 02:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m Joe from Flo and now I’m going to ban you with my 3rd alternate moderator account.

So about all the profanity in my posts on here... I swear I got confused and thought it was the Raiders board.  Ninja Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 02:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m Joe from Flo and now I’m going to ban you with my 3rd alternate moderator account.

Your post reminds me of this;

[Image: Hellraiser-Frank-resurrection-goo-stalks.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 04:18 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Your post reminds me of this;

[Image: Hellraiser-Frank-resurrection-goo-stalks.gif]

I'm not gonna lie. That made me instahard. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)

I still post here from time to time.

In fact, I was one of the ones who offered congratulations. I know it wasn’t too smack-worthy, but as a Pittsburgh Pirate fan, I know what long droughts with little to no playoff success can be like. Plus, you didn’t get that win against us so … bonus!

Besides, I kind of want you to get a SB under your collective belts so that in a few years I can start to pick on you for ‘dwelling on the past’ … LOL
Reply/Quote
we're not allowed to tell the truth about ben being a rapist anymore. bunch on apologists around here.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 08:01 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: we're not allowed to tell the truth about ben being a rapist anymore.  bunch on apologists around here.

Shitty smack is still allowed here. Don't feel pressured to not throw out tour best around here.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 05:41 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I still post here from time to time.  

In fact, I was one of the ones who offered congratulations. I know it wasn’t too smack-worthy, but as a Pittsburgh Pirate fan, I know what long droughts with little to no playoff success can be like.  Plus, you didn’t get that win against us so … bonus!  

Besides, I kind of want you to get a SB under your collective belts so that in a few years I can start to pick on you for ‘dwelling on the past’ … LOL

You can do that with the Kenny Anderson is a HOF QB talk Cool
Reply/Quote