Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Why Has Smack Talk Been Neutered
(01-21-2022, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There are two many reasons I can think of for why this has happened.

1) The Bengals were bad for several seasons in a row. Why bother stopping by and talking trash when the other teams viewed them as a free win and saw the Bengals as the little brother of the division.

2) This one is the bigger thing however. Most of the quality posters from the best days of smack on the OG board just aren't around anymore. Some never made it to the new board, and some just stopped posting. Sure Pat is still here and a valued member of the board as is StrictlyBiz but after that who really post here in smack from the glory days?

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
GMDino (usually in PnR now)
6andcounting (one or two posts in years)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)
SteelyJ (not sure he even came to the new board)
coltsfan4ever (still pissed that his gf left him for a QB)
Beaker (Not on here much)
Faulk (not in smack much)
JS-Steelerfan (See him once in awhile in Around the NFL)
Sociopathicsteelerfan (Mostly PnR if he is around)
34inXXIII (Barely around)

I mean now we get drive by posts at times from Poe that nobody misses and that one Browns fan who shows up predicts it is there year and is gone week 3. 

Maybe if the Bengals remain on top others will show up and post, but perhaps with the Reddit and Twitter options now, people are just done with the smack talk on the message board days.

I got here late. It never was a big smack talk place from my experience. I try from time to time but it usually goes over like a wet fart in church. 

And I’m too old to really talk smack anyway, so if I do it’s really forced and....see above. 

I’d rather just interact with different fans and since we’re barred from the JN, this is where you have to go. Maybe that’s something the Mods should consider...changing that rule. I don’t think the other fans here would ruin the JN, were smarter than that. I think we probably could be an asset. 
Reply/Quote
I think a part of it for me is because it's not fun kicking someone when they're down.

It's fun to talk shit to teams that have a shot to do something this year. With the injury gods' hate boner for the Ravens and everyone knowing the Steelers weren't good enough, it wasn't fun beating sick dogs. It's why nobody really made fun of the Browns here.

I always thought smack talk would be fun after the Bengals took the North. But it isn't.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 2) This one is the bigger thing however. Most of the quality posters from the best days of smack on the OG board just aren't around anymore. Some never made it to the new board, and some just stopped posting. Sure Pat is still here and a valued member of the board as is StrictlyBiz but after that who really post here in smack from the glory days?
Bmoreblitz (MIA)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)
I appreciate the reference, but if I'm being honest, I was never a quality smack talker on the old boards (or anywhere, for that matter).  I may have had the occasional gem that I dropped amongst all the All Pro smack talkers listed above, but that's about it.

I can't speak to why the smack talk has fallen off, though I do hope it bounces back now that Bengals fans have the proverbial high ground as the last AFC North team standing for the first time in the message board's history.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:30 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I think a part of it for me is because it's not fun kicking someone when they're down.

It's fun to talk shit to teams that have a shot to do something this year. With the injury gods' hate boner for the Ravens and everyone knowing the Steelers weren't  good enough, it wasn't fun beating sick dogs. It's why nobody really made fun of the Browns here.

I always thought smack talk would be fun after the Bengals took the North. But it isn't.

It's funny but it is true. In the entire time I was on the old boards and this new version, the Browns were never really represented. They'd have one maybe two fans show up with "hope" in the off-season and then by week 4 they sucked again and were onto the next QB that was going to fix the franchise.

I think we have one fan of the team that showed up and had hope last season, but even with the playoff run last season there was no influx of Browns fans, almost like even they knew it wasn't going to last.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 06:50 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I appreciate the reference, but if I'm being honest, I was never a quality smack talker on the old boards (or anywhere, for that matter).  I may have had the occasional gem that I dropped amongst all the All Pro smack talkers listed above, but that's about it.

I can't speak to why the smack talk has fallen off, though I do hope it bounces back now that Bengals fans have the proverbial high ground as the last AFC North team standing for the first time in the message board's history.

Your gems however, were usually show stoppers and greatly missed.

As well as your on notice board. Miss seeing you around my friend.  Rock On

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:35 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I've noticed this place has gotten more tame over the last few seasons.

Now all i'm seeing are positive vibes and congratulations in this community. I engage in more smack with my girlfriend than I do on this forum.

Maybe we just need better smack talkers in here. Does your girlfriend have an account? Ninja
Reply/Quote
Kinda hard to neuter Steelers fans when they don't have any balls to begin with. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
From my perspective, Bengals weren’t competitive by design in ‘19 and ‘20, so it’s not as much fun making fun of a team in a rebuild because they’re supposed to suck during that time. Ravens entered this season with like 15 guys and counting on IR, so strategically it made sense for me to joke about how bad we’d be to get ahead of the inevitable collapse (which happened far later than I assumed it would).

Maybe next season it’ll be more interesting with both teams presumably at full strength
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 09:41 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You can do that with the Kenny Anderson is a HOF QB talk Cool

Why isn't Mr.Anderson the pride of Augustana College not in the HOF?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:44 AM)34inXXIII Wrote: Maybe we just need better smack talkers in here. Does your girlfriend have an account? Ninja

Depends. Does my ED Count as a AFC North team?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 09:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's no fun anymore because the Steelers know that they're going to suck for years to come if they can't land Wilson or Rodgers!

They can come in and be the typical Steelers fans and just talk about the past, but nobody gives a shit about that!

Especially bengals fans because their past was perennial losing seasons and playoff and Super Bowl fuckups!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 09:50 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: And I’m too old to really talk smack anyway, so if I do it’s really forced and....see above. 

I guess Steelers fans do know something about forcing.

That said, **** this place and everyone in it. I hate you all. I hate you. I hate you. I hate your guts. Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate.

Truth be told I've just mellowed out in my old age. I creep around more than I post. Kind of the consequences of getting put on blast for openly admitting to trolling to kill time at work.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 2) This one is the bigger thing however. Most of the quality posters from the best days of smack on the OG board just aren't around anymore. Some never made it to the new board, and some just stopped posting. Sure Pat is still here and a valued member of the board as is StrictlyBiz but after that who really post here in smack from the glory days?

Bmoreblitz (MIA)
SteelCitySouth (MIA)
Awww....Murdock misses me..... Wink
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:34 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Awww....Murdock misses me..... Wink

I miss your sig.  I literally laugh every time I see it.  Good ol' SLS, as amusing as he was delusional.
Reply/Quote