Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Have Trouble Taking BLM Seriously
(10-07-2016, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Does every television show he watches come from his neck of the woods?  How about every movie?  Does his internet provider connect him to news from the rest of the country? 

Does the government in Washington DC have any influence on his life?  How about the State legislature in Hartford?  Does he ever leave his neck of the woods to any other location in a state that is 90% white?

If I moved to China, Japanc, would i see a white person or would I continue to see me?

I don't think I change my behavior because of where I live. 

Anyway that's my opinion and good luck changing it.  

Do you think lebron looks in the mirro and sees a black person or do you think he sees himself?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-07-2016, 01:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: A week ago, I had to take a mandatory diversity awareness training course for my job (EVERYONE had/has to take it, though I tried to get out of it by saying I'm already aware there's diversity in America). During one of the discussions, a friend of mine (who's black) talked about how, when he wakes up and looks in the mirror, he sees a black man.

I found it interesting, because I never look at myself as a white man. Yes, I know I'm white, but if you ask me to identify myself, I almost never refer to my race.

So, yeah, I think many people think of themselves as their skin color first. 

When I look in the mirror the only thought that comes to mind is "Damn, you're sexy".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-07-2016, 01:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: A week ago, I had to take a mandatory diversity awareness training course for my job (EVERYONE had/has to take it, though I tried to get out of it by saying I'm already aware there's diversity in America). During one of the discussions, a friend of mine (who's black) talked about how, when he wakes up and looks in the mirror, he sees a black man.

I found it interesting, because I never look at myself as a white man. Yes, I know I'm white, but if you ask me to identify myself, I almost never refer to my race.

So, yeah, I think many people think of themselves as their skin color first. 

(10-07-2016, 01:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My friend lives in Hartford in a predominantly black neighborhood. He works at a place where there's almost no white people. He may be a minority in AMERICA, but in his neck of the woods, he is NOT a minority, yet he still notices that he's black?  Whatever

[Image: quote-well-you-need-to-have-at-least-one...-39-68.jpg]

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-07-2016, 01:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Or maybe, it's because I'm not racist and don't see "color".

Then how do you know your friend is black?
(10-07-2016, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Does every television show he watches come from his neck of the woods?  How about every movie?  Does his internet provider connect him to news from the rest of the country? 

Does the government in Washington DC have any influence on his life?  How about the State legislature in Hartford?  Does he ever leave his neck of the woods to any other location in a state that is 90% white?

I have no idea what he watches, but I do know he doesn't watch much TV. But, so what? His daily life, he's mostly surrounded and sees mostly black people. Yeah, there are white people that he comes into contact with (his wife is white), but most of his time, the people he interacts with are black. Yet, somehow he still sees himself as a black man.

(10-07-2016, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: quote-well-you-need-to-have-at-least-one...-39-68.jpg]

Ninja

As soon as I brought him up, I knew someone was going to go there. LOL

Though, I do have multiple black friends.  ThumbsUp

(10-08-2016, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Then how do you know your friend is black?

Because I'm not stupid. Obviously I can see color, though I recognize I should've put the quotes around the word "see" and not "color". However, unless I'm describing him to someone that has absolutely no clue who he is, then I don't even recognize that he's a black man. To me, he's just Damon. 
(10-07-2016, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: quote-well-you-need-to-have-at-least-one...-39-68.jpg]

Ninja
How many Lib-Points do I get from having dated a couple ?
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(10-05-2016, 12:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that there's some shitty cops out there. You'll never be able to have a significant group of 100% good humans, regardless if we're talking police, teachers, anything. That's just reality. That said...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/video-of-los-angeles-police-shooting-shows-suspect-with-gun/ar-BBwYcyO?OCID=ansmsnnews11

..traffic stop and the 18-year-old darts out of the car. Police follow and the guy pulls out a handgun. There's even video of him with a handgun (that you know is an illegal gun, because how else does an 18-year-old get a handgun? It's illegal to sell a handgun to anyone under 21) but they don't even care. Here's a quote from that article.

"I don't care if he had a gun," she shouted. "His life matters."

It's not even about right or wrong with BLM. If you're black and you're shot by the police, then the police are automatically in the wrong in their eyes.

Now people are spreading rumors anywhere from that he was unarmed, had his hands up, and was shot in the back. Sound familiar? Like Brown with his hands up, or Scott with his "book"?

- - - - - - -

BLM isn't about justice, it's about skin color. That's the main reason I can't get behind it. A potentially innocent person is the same as a 911 call for a felon with a history of violence, with a gun, pointing it at police, so long as their skin is their color. It'd be downright silly if it wasn't such a large and often violent protest-inducing ordeal.

Sometimes I wonder how many people think of themselves as their skin color, or as Americans first.

Little bit of a rant, but yeah.

Look at the first sentence of your post. Substitute "black lives matters members" for cops. Lather, rinse, repeat.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-08-2016, 04:39 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I have no idea what he watches, but I do know he doesn't watch much TV. But, so what? His daily life, he's mostly surrounded and sees mostly black people. Yeah, there are white people that he comes into contact with (his wife is white), but most of his time, the people he interacts with are black. Yet, somehow he still sees himself as a black man.

He lives in a white state in a white country.  He does not live on an isolied island with no knowledge of what is happening in the state and country around him.

TRhe fcat is that you are a member of the majority.  You can take your whitness for granted because whenever you turn on the TV or watch a movie the overwhelming majority of the time you will be watching white people.  When you watch the newa and see all the elected politicians and powerful business leaderas again an overwhelming majoroity of them will be white like you.  when you see a atory about racial profiling by law enforcement it is never about profiling white people.

The same thing applies to any minority, not just race.  Handicapped people are constantly aware they are handicapped while helathy people never think of themselves as "non-handicapped".  Homosexual and transgender people are aware of their sexual identity while you would never think to describe yourself as a "staraight guy".

Taking your race for granted is a privilege of being in the majority.
(10-09-2016, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He lives in a white state in a white country.  He does not live on an isolied island with no knowledge of what is happening in the state and country around him.

TRhe fcat is that you are a member of the majority.  You can take your whitness for granted because whenever you turn on the TV or watch a movie the overwhelming majority of the time you will be watching white people.  When you watch the newa and see all the elected politicians and powerful business leaderas again an overwhelming majoroity of them will be white like you.  when you see a atory about racial profiling by law enforcement it is never about profiling white people.

The same thing applies to any minority, not just race.  Handicapped people are constantly aware they are handicapped while helathy people never think of themselves as "non-handicapped".  Homosexual and transgender people are aware of their sexual identity while you would never think to describe yourself as a "staraight guy".

Taking your race for granted is a privilege of being in the majority.
Well, that's you're opinion. Clearly, I disagree.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
(10-07-2016, 01:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: A week ago, I had to take a mandatory diversity awareness training course for my job (EVERYONE had/has to take it, though I tried to get out of it by saying I'm already aware there's diversity in America).

And here is the biggest problem we have with race relations in America.  The people who most need to be educated on the issues refuse to listen.  I have repeatedly proven to Philos that racial profiling exists yet he is one of the strongest "white privilege" deniers on this board.  Even though 90% of the networks feature 90% white shows and actors Phil feels like a victim of discrimination because there exists a single network that is not 90% white.

And now he is accusing a minority of being racists because he is aware of his minority position in our country.
(10-10-2016, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have repeatedly proven to Philos that racial profiling exists 

I am quoting fred here, but asking anyone to reply to an honest question. Why is racial profiling considered bad? Maybe it's the context that I am thinking of it in, but I don't see it as a bad thing. In terms of law enforcement having limited manpower and resources, why should they not target the demographic shown over time to be most likely to have offenders? 

If the majority of drug runners on I75 are black males between the ages of 18-25 driving overly expensive tricked out cars (I dont know the actual demographic, just using that as an example), then why shouldn't those individuals be targeted? 

If the majority of terrorists are young males from Islamic countries who fly singly or in groups and pay cash for their tickets, why should the TSA waste their time and resources randomly pulling an 86 yr old lady from Tampa out of the security line for extra inspection?

If the majority of meth dealers/runners are young white males driving pick up trucks, then I have no problem if I am stopped and asked questions since I am white and drive a pick up. Maybe someone can provide some other evidence/idea as to why I should consider racial profiling used by law enforcement to be a terrible thing.
(10-10-2016, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And here is the biggest problem we have with race relations in America.  The people who most need to be educated on the issues refuse to listen.  I have repeatedly proven to Philos that racial profiling exists yet he is one of the strongest "white privilege" deniers on this board.  Even though 90% of the networks feature 90% white shows and actors Phil feels like a victim of discrimination because there exists a single network that is not 90% white.

And now he is accusing a minority of being racists because he is aware of his minority position in our country.

Lol. You're a moron. I was clearly making a joke.

I've never denied racial profiling exists. But racial profiling does not equal white privilege.

I've also never claimed to be a victim nor feel like one.

And I never accused my friend of being a racist. Only found it interesting he views himself in racial terms.

It's no wonder you're voting for Hillary. Your lying is on par with hers.

(10-11-2016, 12:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Lol. You're a moron. I was clearly making a joke.

I've never denied racial profiling exists. But racial profiling does not equal white privilege.

I've also never claimed to be a victim nor feel like one.

And I never accused my friend of being a racist. Only found it interesting he views himself in racial terms.

It's no wonder you're voting for Hillary. Your lying is on par with hers.

Let me add Fred, that your post is EXACTLY why race relations are strained. As soon as a white person tries to openly discuss race, he or she is labeled a racist.

You want better race relations? Try reserving the "racist" moniker for those who are ACTUALLY racist and not those you disagree with.

(10-11-2016, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me add Fred, that your post is EXACTLY why race relations are strained. As soon as a white person tries to openly discuss race, he or she is labeled a racist.

Until we learn to quit tip-toeing around the issue, things will never get better.
We need to be real with one another (respectfully) and do it fast.

Not bagging on Fred here, this involves EVERYONE in our country.

(10-11-2016, 02:31 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Until we learn to quit tip-toeing around the issue, things will never get better.
We need to be real with one another (respectfully) and do it fast.

Not bagging on Fred here, this involves EVERYONE in our country.

Yep.

(10-11-2016, 12:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Let me add Fred, that your post is EXACTLY why race relations are strained. As soon as a white person tries to openly discuss race, he or she is labeled a racist.

You want better race relations? Try reserving the "racist" moniker for those who are ACTUALLY racist and not those you disagree with.

As I have often said: The biggest thread is those that remain silent; although, those that seek to establish an us versus them mentality are quickly closing ground.

Who knew Money Mayweather thought this way:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/floyd-mayweather-im-here-to-say-all-lives-matter-012902281.html

Quote:“I’m here to say all lives matter,” Mayweather said. “You know, a lot of times, we get stuck, and we are followers. When you hear one person say, ‘black lives matter,’ or ‘blue lives matter,’ all lives matter.”

Mayweather refuses to place the blame on the police, despite a number of officer-involved incidents this year.

“It’s not right what is going on in this world on both sides,” Mayweather said. “What I learned from boxing and what everyone can take in real life is to follow directions, follow order. Don’t give nobody a hard time.”

Also not a fan of CK kneeling:

Quote:“Kaepernick needs to try and get the starting job,” Mayweather said. “Stand up, and get the starting job. That’s what he needs to focus on.”

(10-11-2016, 12:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And I never accused my friend of being a racist. Only found it interesting he views himself in racial terms.

yes you did.  You made it very clear that people who see the color of their skin are racists, and you are not racists because you don't see the color of your skin.

(10-07-2016, 01:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Or maybe, it's because I'm not racist and don't see "color".

The only think worse than a racist is one who is not man enough to own what he said.  

You like to make allegations of racism, but then try to weasel out of them.
(10-11-2016, 12:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've never denied racial profiling exists. But racial profiling does not equal white privilege.

Yes it does.  It is the very definition of white privilege.

White people are not the suject of racial profiling and that is a privilege.
(10-10-2016, 07:47 PM)Beaker Wrote: I am quoting fred here, but asking anyone to reply to an honest question. Why is racial profiling considered bad? Maybe it's the context that I am thinking of it in, but I don't see it as a bad thing. In terms of law enforcement having limited manpower and resources, why should they not target the demographic shown over time to be most likely to have offenders? 

If the majority of drug runners on I75 are black males between the ages of 18-25 driving overly expensive tricked out cars (I dont know the actual demographic, just using that as an example), then why shouldn't those individuals be targeted? 

If the majority of terrorists are young males from Islamic countries who fly singly or in groups and pay cash for their tickets, why should the TSA waste their time and resources randomly pulling an 86 yr old lady from Tampa out of the security line for extra inspection?

If the majority of meth dealers/runners are young white males driving pick up trucks, then I have no problem if I am stopped and asked questions since I am white and drive a pick up. Maybe someone can provide some other evidence/idea as to why I should consider racial profiling used by law enforcement to be a terrible thing.

The problem is that the same percentage of black people and white people use illegal drugs yet many more black people are arrested for it due to racial profiling.  That is one of the privileges of being white.  

And you WOULD have a problem being pulled over by the police just because you were a white guy driving a pick up truck.  I guarantee it.  Why should you be late to work or pick up your children just because of your race and vehicle?  You are lying if you claim you have no problem being pulled over for no reason.