Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Think Bengals Can Have Super Season
Some of these injuries and suspensions may not be a bad thing. I may be wrong, but isn't there an injured reserve thing where you can keep extra players. If so, it may help on cuts on a few players who looked good preseason. We do get these injured players back because there are no season ending injuries. I heard Minter say this is the best group of linebackers he's been with. He says the team is loaded at LB in great young talent. If so, we may be surprised in our LB's. The team did draft quicker, faster, younger on D. It would be great to see players flying to the ball old Paul Brown way. We were getting old at LB and a step too slow getting to plays last year. With Atkins and Dunlap on D Line as Super Stars and some good vets and good new talent our D Line could be best in Bengals 50 year history. If Minter is right about loaded at LB that makes our front 7 tough. I think we have a good secondary and resigning Kirkpatrick should help. Besides Jones and Dennard and WJ3 top picks we also had a CB we added last year that looked like a great pick-up. If he is still on team, that helps. Some good safeties. Bengals could have a Super Bowl type Defense. Those vanilla packages in preseason hide how they can really get after teams. Our 5 straight play-off seasons unheard of in Bengals History were mostly because we had the best defense in Bengals History. I'm old and have seen all 50 years. Still, I thought our LB's could be better and if our LB's are best Minter has been on a team with, they can be great. Adding young, quick and fast on D a good thing. Speed is what you need. Tony Dungy made awful Tampa Bay a power with quick and fast D. Then taking over Indy he said team had Peyton Manning but losing because D too old and slow. He brought in young, quick and fast resulting in Super Bowl. Bengals have been adding young, quick and fast also. This has the makings of a fast Tony Dungy D that led to Tampa and Indy Super Bowls. Defense starts up front and many teams would love to have Atkins and Dunlap. On offense we have Dalton to Green which has been awesome combination. I think we are deep at WR and RB. I look for Ross, Hill, Bernard to be healthy soon and you add in Mixon, Lafell, Boyd, Core, Eifert and others, Bengals could be loaded on offense. The O Line looked OK to me in preseason. The guy replacing Zeitler looks pretty good, and that is huge. Looks better than Andre Smith brought back. Smith gives our O Line great depth being a Bengals first rounder now back with these other top picks. I know O Line is rebuilt but we might be surprised in the improvement with each game marching to play-offs. Huber solid and it looks like they have addressed complete collapse of Nugent.

Bengals started 8-0 year before last and Dalton was set for AFC MVP of Year before injury. Team addressed last years fall off and this team could be back to form after one off season. AJ Green saying he and Dalton want that Super Bowl Ring. Fans knock the coaching but we have went play-offs in 6 of the last 8 seasons. A huge improvement over THE BUNGLES who never went play-offs. Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap provide LEADERSHIP often lacking from 1991 to 2010. Solid Veteran TEAM LEADERS. Talent is not enough. You need some ALL MADDEN team leaders to win in play-offs. As talented as Chad Johnson Ocho Cinco was, John Madden and many Hall of Famers said he lacked leadership and should have taken on team captain role. Even New England coach said he would add Chad only if he stopped his clowning around because New England is Super Bowl motivated. I'm not denying he had talent, but John Madden said he should have became less ME and more TEAM LEADER. I see this flaw in Odell Beckham for all his talent. AJ Green is a Super Bowl type. When he scores he acts like it's not his first time. Green seems to have MADDEN leadership. Super Bowl Leadership. Green a huge reason for 5 straight play-offs for a franchise that had only went back to back play-offs in 1981 and 1982. A franchise more use to losing than winning. Many of the Bengals 50 Year History I would like to forget. If the Bengals can go Super Bowl this decade, then fans of 2011 to 2020 are seeing the best decade in this teams history. One GREAT YEAR makes this a dynasty decade of which a 50 year fan like me has never seen. I want that, and we are like Cubs fans in that after all the losing, Bengals Fans more than others deserve a Super Bowl dynasty decade. 5 straight play-offs and decade ending in Super Bowl would be THE GLORY YEARS of Bengals History. Good Vets and top young players, a great mixture for success. BRING IT HOME. DO IT. I love hearing AJ Green say stats are for old age retired and he wants a Super Bowl Ring. THAT IS LEADERSHIP. Hitch your wagon to a star. Dalton is reaching the age Ken Anderson went from rookie to MVP Vet as I saw it all kick in for him, as if the game became easy to him. The reason my picture is THE SUPER BOWL TROPHY. I think Bengals Fans should taste winning it all finally. It would help wipe away decades of THE BUNGLES. Remember that Denver finally had an era of winning with John Elway, but still considered losers until winning Super Bowl last years of decade made it a Glory Decade. Their success because they also added good young RB and other young talent to put them over the top with vets like Elway. Dalton is no Elway, but I've always felt he is a winner like Bart Starr. Not a Unitas or an Elway, but you can go far with a Bart Starr or a Len Dawson and I think Dalton can be that and like Ken Anderson, Dalton as a Vet his game all there, as the game becomes easier to him. Dalton showed signs of this in 8-0 start. I consider him a Bart Starr type of great brain of the game and coach like field General and a winner and the best is yet to come .....GO BENGALS Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
TLDR version:

[Image: 1370608585-26504500.jpg]
[Image: kool-aid-orange.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am 100% with you. I believe this will be the best Bengals team ever...just be healthy, Ross, please...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: TLDR version:

[Image: 1370608585-26504500.jpg]
[Image: kool-aid-orange.jpg]

This was strangely helpful. Kevin always writes these long posts that I don't want to sit down and read.  Hilarious but, that being said, I don't think the Bengals are going to do horribly this year.
Reply/Quote
That's just what I needed to read this morning. Thanks ThumbsUp  and man, do I hope you're right about this season.
Reply/Quote
[Image: son-im-only.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have my concerns, but I will try and be realistic and optimistic. The OL will be a concern until they prove they can be a good unit. The kickers last night had me feeling very 2016 like and our kicking game (including Huber) has to be much better in 2017. Hopefully Ross injury is just a ding, but worries me trainers and doctors suggested an MRI.

I see the 2017 Bengals a nasty defensive first team. I love the rookie additions. Willis is a best. Lawson is a hungry. I think Jordan Evans may be a pro bowl LB someday if he stays healthy. Add these guys to 2nd year CB Jackson and DL Billings and we have a lot of young potential defensive studs to add to our core defense.

So, I think if our defense can become dominant while our OL has time to gel, we could be very good. But, we need a great PK to go with our great defense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
IDK..Super season might be a bit over the top, but they're still a good young talented team. If they can just beat the zebras they might have a super season, but a super season sounds like something you might order at a drive up window..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
REALITY CHECK: These ARE the Cincinnati Bengals with Mike Brown at the helm.  Until they alter a little history for the last 26 years, I will continue to expect them to shoot themselves in the foot, and hope they don't!!!

Owner/HC Paul Brown 1968-1990 (23 years)

Playoff Record:

W      L
 5       7      (Two Superbowl Appearances)

Owner Mike Brown 1991-Present (26 years)

Playoff Record:

W     L
 0      7
Reply/Quote
If we can stop the run i am drinking that Kool-Aid on Defense.

If we can protect Dalton and open up holes in the run game i am drinking that Kool-Aid on Offense as well.

ST's will be good under Simmons i have no doubt.

3 phases to the game and we could be great in each one. Starts in the trenches and i truly believe the additions of Billings and Willis
could push this Defense to being one of the tops in the NFL. Don't like what they are doing to Burfict but damn the dude is in great
shape and i just hope the NFL looks at themselves a bit on that suspension which was complete horse shit.

Evans can be that other star in the Linebacking core. Great instincts to go with a freakish athletic body.

We have arguably not only the best front 7 in the AFCN, but the best Secondary to go along with it.

Really liking Hopkins at RG, just like you said Kev. Og is better than last year by a long ways, same with Fisher, Boling is a stud
and is healthy unlike last year. You add Mixon, Ross and Malone to this Offense and it is explosive.
Reply/Quote
I look at it this way...we have about a probably somewhere in the 12-16th range roster in the NFL if we ranked all teams. That's not good enough for a championship. It may be good enough for a Wildcard...

But...can the coaching make the roster better or worse? I don't think it will significantly improve the talent. If it makes the talent worse...7-9. If it allows the talent to stay it its current level - 9-7 or 10-6 and Wild Card.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I look at it this way...we have about a probably somewhere in the 12-16th range roster in the NFL if we ranked all teams. That's not good enough for a championship. It may be good enough for a Wildcard...

But...can the coaching make the roster better or worse? I don't think it will significantly improve the talent. If it makes the talent worse...7-9. If it allows the talent to stay it its current level - 9-7 or 10-6 and Wild Card.
Here is where I disagree.  Many teams would love to have Dalton to Green combo. Many teams would love to have our TE and WR's.  Many teams would love to have our RB's.  Many teams would love to have Atkins and Dunlap. Many teams would love to have our defense.  The Offensive Line much in question is looking OK and does not look like a huge weakness. In fact the blocking may be better than last year. Many teams would like to have Huber. Both kickers showed they are good replacements for Nugent. Making extra points and field goal would be a huge improvement. .....As for preseason ratings, Paul Brown use to say that was all garbage.  On TV Bengals show with Phil Samp, PB said, " Yes, Every summer these magazines come out saying where teams will finish. It makes you wonder why we even play the season. Yet I've noticed they are wrong every year, so I say let's just go ahead and play the season. "

The Mags had 1981 Bengals picked to be dead last. The Mags had 1988 Bengals picked to be a non play-off team. The Mags said Joe Montana of Notre Dame had no arm and no teams should draft him. I wish I had a buck for all the times these preseason predictions dead wrong, I would be richer than Trump. These Mags just take who won last season and print they will win this season. They know less about who will win this year than anybody. Same with Sports TV picks. There are teams up and coming or a team bouncing back from an off season they never see coming. The NFL is set up for parity in profit sharing, salary cap and bad teams draft first. IF BENGALS HAVE BLOCKING, THIS IS ONE DEEP SOLID TEAM ACROSS THE BOARD. ONE OF THE DEEPEST TEAMS IN TALENT IN NFL. THE BLOCKING LOOKS BETTER THAN PEOPLE THOUGHT, IN FACT IT COULD BE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR AND BY NOVEMBER ENOUGH REPS TO BE A PLAY-OFF WIN UNIT.

Preseason picks always wrong. I guess gamblers use them. Of course gamblers go to horse races and buy and read the Racing Form Picks and big reason a million losing tickets for janitor to sweep up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I look at it this way...we have about a probably somewhere in the 12-16th range roster in the NFL if we ranked all teams. That's not good enough for a championship. It may be good enough for a Wildcard...

I don't understand this at all. If the Kickers would of just made the easy kicks last year we would of won 3 more games.

That was last year with Maualuga and Peko on the team and less weapons with 3 new coaches on Defense.

We win atleast 9 games this year and up to 13. But we lose in the Playoffs as always under Marv.

People tempering their expectations of the regular season this year makes no sense to me. We win in the regular season
if we are somewhat healthy, it is what we do. This is a much more talented roster than you allude too as well Pistons.

You say middle of the pack, i disagree. I think AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Joe Mixon, Andy Dalton, Tyler Eifert,
Giovani Bernard, Vontaze Burfict, Kirkpatrick, Iloka, WJ3, Jordan Willis, Lawson, Evans is pretty damn talented. Top 5 in
talent easy IMO.
Reply/Quote
How many on here predicted 2011 to be 0 to 4 wins ? BE HONEST. Because many of you were in Bengals.com and with Carson, Ocho and TO leaving you swore the team would collapse. BE HONEST. ....I'll be honest. I thought this team was ready for a change. Ocho long had wanted traded, Carson wanted traded and TO had issues every team he was on. I wasn't wrong because Ocho and TO didn't do much after Bengals at end of their careers. I was ready to get behind the new players coming in, but in no way did I see the 2011 team in the play-offs. I didn't see it and none of you saw it because I remember your posts.

So here we are again, same old stuff. This team stinks and you homers are drinking the Kool Aid. Pretty much the same thing before every season. Over on Bengals,com there were more insult posts after a loss than good job posts after a win. I actually think they were sad when Bengals won because they couldn't post their insults of this team that week.

I mention 2011 because in 2008 and 2010 this team stunk. We had too many bad attitudes on this team. This was no TEAM. You can't have that many cancers in the clubhouse and be a TEAM. Yes, some had talent, but their attitude was lousy. I thought Mike Brown made a mistake being a lawyer about contracts. I myself would not want a bunch of workers that wanted to be some place else. It always creates a bad work place and low productivity. The 4 win seasons showed that. .....So here we are going into 2017 and 2016 was not a great year. Not because of the problem players 2008 and 2010 had, but just not a good year.. So some changes made. Just like when AJ Green and Dalton added, adding Ross, Mixon and others and the same old Boo Birds saying the same thing they said in 2011. I think after last year the good young talent needed added, and these guys aren't coming into the mess the 2010 discontents had this place in. They have Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap to provide veteran leadership. Dalton and Green as rookies had to be team leaders as rookies. Ross and Mixon and these young guys have it easier.

WE should be glad we have a Team of players focused on winning and not those knuckle heads of 2008 or 2010. WE have guys that want to be here, on THIS team, and they want to WIN, and THAT has me all behind them ready for the season. AJ GREEN doesn't talk stats or Hall of Fame. AJ Green says he would like to be a Bengal all his career. He says He and Dalton want a Super Bowl Ring. ..I'LL ROOT FOR THAT......GO BENGALS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, I don't know much about it but I'm back in the area this year and am hoping for at least a better season this year than last year.

With a little luck, last year the Bengals could have stole one from the Redskins, hung on to beat the Giants, and AJ doesn't have that injury and they beat the Bills. So, anything is possible for this year and one of the best things about football is that fortunes change so drastically from year to year.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:49 AM)kevin Wrote: Some of these injuries and suspensions may not be a bad thing.  I may be wrong, but isn't there an injured reserve thing where you can keep extra players. If so, it may help on cuts on a few players who looked good preseason. We do get these injured players back because there are no season ending injuries. I heard Minter say this is the best group of linebackers he's been with. He says the team is loaded at LB in great young talent. If so, we may be surprised in our LB's. The team did draft quicker, faster, younger on D. It would be great to see players flying to the ball old Paul Brown way. We were getting old at LB and a step too slow getting to plays last year.  With Atkins and Dunlap on D Line as Super Stars and some good vets and good new talent our D Line could be best in Bengals 50 year history. If Minter is right about loaded at LB that makes our front 7 tough. I think we have a good secondary and resigning Kirkpatrick should help. Besides Jones and Dennard and WJ3 top picks we also had a CB we added last year that looked like a great pick-up. If he is still on team, that helps. Some good safeties.  Bengals could have a Super Bowl type Defense. Those vanilla packages in preseason hide how they can really get after teams.  Our 5 straight play-off seasons unheard of in Bengals History were mostly because we had the best defense in Bengals History. I'm old and have seen all 50 years. Still, I thought our LB's could be better and if our LB's are best Minter has been on a team with, they can be great. Adding young, quick and fast on D a good thing. Speed is what you need. Tony Dungy made awful Tampa Bay a power with quick and fast D. Then taking over Indy he said team had Peyton Manning but losing because D too old and slow. He brought in young, quick and fast resulting in Super Bowl. Bengals have been adding young, quick and fast also. This has the makings of a fast Tony Dungy D that led to Tampa and Indy Super Bowls. Defense starts up front and many teams would love to have Atkins and Dunlap.  On offense we have Dalton to Green which has been awesome combination. I think we are deep at WR and RB.  I look for Ross, Hill, Bernard to be healthy soon and you add in Mixon, Lafell, Boyd, Core, Eifert and others, Bengals could be loaded on offense.  The O Line looked OK to me in preseason. The guy replacing Zeitler looks pretty good, and that is huge. Looks better than Andre Smith brought back. Smith gives our O Line great depth being a Bengals first rounder now back with these other top picks. I know O Line is rebuilt but we might be surprised in the improvement with each game marching to play-offs.  Huber solid and it looks like they have addressed complete collapse of Nugent.

Bengals started 8-0 year before last and Dalton was set for AFC MVP of Year before injury.  Team addressed last years fall off and this team could be back to form after one off season. AJ Green saying he and Dalton want that Super Bowl Ring.  Fans knock the coaching but we have went play-offs in 6 of the last 8 seasons. A huge improvement over THE BUNGLES who never went play-offs. Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap provide LEADERSHIP often lacking from 1991 to 2010.  Solid Veteran TEAM LEADERS. Talent is not enough. You need some ALL MADDEN team leaders to win in play-offs.  As talented as Chad Johnson Ocho Cinco was, John Madden and many Hall of Famers said he lacked leadership and should have taken on team captain role. Even New England coach said he would add Chad only if he stopped his clowning around because New England is Super Bowl motivated.  I'm not denying he had talent, but John Madden said he should have became less ME and more TEAM LEADER.  I see this flaw in Odell Beckham for all his talent.  AJ Green is a Super Bowl type. When he scores he acts like it's not his first time. Green seems to have MADDEN leadership.  Super Bowl Leadership.  Green a huge reason for 5 straight play-offs for a franchise that had only went back to back play-offs in 1981 and 1982.  A franchise more use to losing than winning. Many of the Bengals 50 Year History I would like to forget. If the Bengals can go Super Bowl this decade, then fans of 2011 to 2020 are seeing the best decade in this teams history. One GREAT YEAR makes this a dynasty decade of which a 50 year fan like me has never seen. I want that, and we are like Cubs fans in that after all the losing, Bengals Fans more than others deserve a Super Bowl dynasty decade.  5 straight play-offs and decade ending in Super Bowl would be THE GLORY YEARS of Bengals History.   Good Vets and top young players, a great mixture for success.  BRING IT HOME. DO IT.  I love hearing AJ Green say stats are for old age retired and he wants a Super Bowl Ring. THAT IS LEADERSHIP. Hitch your wagon to a star. Dalton is reaching the age Ken Anderson went from rookie to MVP Vet as I saw it all kick in for him, as if the game became easy to him.  The reason my picture is THE SUPER BOWL TROPHY. I think Bengals Fans should taste winning it all finally. It would help wipe away decades of THE BUNGLES.  Remember that Denver finally had an era of winning with John Elway, but still considered losers until winning Super Bowl last years of decade made it a Glory Decade. Their success because they also added good young RB and other young talent to put them over the top with vets like Elway. Dalton is no Elway, but I've always felt he is a winner like Bart Starr. Not a Unitas or an Elway, but you can go far with a Bart Starr or a Len Dawson and I think Dalton can be that and like Ken Anderson, Dalton as a Vet his game all there, as the game becomes easier to him. Dalton showed signs of this in 8-0 start. I consider him a Bart Starr type of great brain of the game and coach like field General and a winner and the best is yet to come  .....GO BENGALS  Tiger

I ain't readin' that wall of text.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'd say our best case scenario for this team would be a playoff win. We're not winning a Super Bowl.

Most likely we'll win about 7 years with a string of wins at the end of the year to give fans hope for next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 02:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say our best case scenario for this team would be a playoff win. We're not winning a Super Bowl.

Most likely we'll win about 7 years with a string of wins at the end of the year to give fans hope for next year.

I don't see us winning a Playoff game with Marv at the helm.

The difference between you and me Pistons is i am not ignoring that this has been one of the best regular season teams for years.

They will win a lot of games, 9 atleast but will be one and done.

Hopefully we move on from Marv after him going 0-8 in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote