Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why I am Not a Fan of the Equality Act
(02-27-2021, 03:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not going to continue to reply to someone who continues to have the same exact response.

I replied earlier, tried my best to provide my reasoning, along with some examples and questions, and you chose to just reply with the same thing that I had already previously replied to.

You completely ignored my post and basically accused me of being a racist, or the equivalent to one in regards to homophobia

What's the point?  How many times can you ask me the same question, and how many times should I be expected to answer?  The very least you could do, when I've put in some effort into my reply to you, is maybe add some context to your arguement.  Maybe specifically address some points I made.  Counter them.  Do something other than just copy and pasting the same exact statement 4 different times.

These are not the same exact complaints as then, nor is the disrimination seen by LGBTQ people in 2021 anywhere near the levels seen by black people in 1964.  Also, a race of people is a lot more easily defined that all of nuances that exist in the LGBTQ community.

Whatever, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I simply sharing my thoughts.  I'm glad some people here took the time to share theirs.

I didn't accuse you of being racist. I said that your concerns were just homophobia and transphobia given your selective outrage.

If you are concerned about businesses not being able to make hiring decisions because of the law extending protections to a new group when those protections have existed for decades for other groups, then I ask if you have the same concerns for businesses that do not want to hire people who look too ethnic. Because that would be far more likely to occur given how relatively small the gay and trans populations are and it would go against your alleged philosophical stance if you did not. 

It's a simple question that you refuse to answer. Going on a pathetically ignorant rant about gay and trans stereotypes doesn't answer that question either. It's a simple: "Yes, I think businesses should be able to not hire people for 'looking too ethnic'" or "No, I do not think businesses should be able to not hire people for 'looking too ethnic'".

Because that IS a direct counter to your position. The scenario you described is something that has been capable of occurring to businesses for 50 years for a whole host of protected classes. If you have an actual concern about the rights of employers then you should be voicing the same concern about the Civil Rights Act.

Whether or not discrimination against gay or trans people is the same as it was against Black people prior to the CRA is irrelevant to the matter at hand. 

Either your concern is real and you feel an employer should be able to discriminate on looks for any protected class, or it is ONLY directed towards being able to discriminate in hiring gay and trans people because you feel as if they SHOULD be discriminated against.  
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote