Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am picking the Bengals to beat the Steelers.
“Only ever doing what feels comfortable is a form of suicide.”

When I first came across this quote I thoughtg it was from Ole Anderson of "Four Horseman" fame.  It seemed deeply profound for a professional wrestler, but that just made it more cool for me.  Then I learned it was actually from Oli Anderson who appears to be some hack self help guru.  But I still like it.

The Bengals have not really played that well this year.  They have had enough good stretches to go to 5-1, but our defense still seems a bit hapless too much of the time and I still have concerns about our O-line.

Then there is the epic level of ownage the Steelers have over the Bengals.  It is more than just coincidence and a small sample size.  Sometimes they have the better team, but not by the margin that our head-to-head record would suggest. Especially since 2011

Bengals record against teams other than Pitt..........66-35-2
Pitt record against teams other than Bengals..........64-38-1
Head-to-head Pitt advantage.................................11- 3-0

Bengals record against winning teams not from Pitt...20-21-1 .488 (Only 3 teams over .500 against winning teams)
Bengals record against winning teams from Pitt.........  1- 9-0 .100 (Browns only team under .100 against winning teams)

So it would be easy to just sit back and expect another loss, but that is not what I am going to do.  I am going to think about how great it will be to beat the Steelers this week.

Some would say that it is easy to take this position with no skin in the game, but even though I have not made any bets I am still taking that emotional leap.  I may crash and burn like Icarus for daring to soar so close to the sun, but as the great bullshit artist Oli Anderson said....

“Only ever doing what feels comfortable is a form of suicide.”
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals play to their abilities on all levels they will win.

It sure would be nice to see the offense & defense clicking simultaneously in 4 quarters.

Specials teams as well.

Bengals started strong with a weaker team last year and blew the game.

Let's just hope they can finish strong this time around.

We shall see...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We got this. Somehow, someway, everything is different.

[Image: 08-02-2015-sermon-pic-750x420.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our D better be able to keep their run game in check. If not Ben will pick us apart with the pass. And, our O'line HAS to give Andy time. I would like to see a quick pace offense similar to what we ran against the Ravens. Seems we had them huffin and puffin on D.
Reply/Quote
If we don't let them push our buttons we should win. We have the horses to outplay them on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we have seen the best from this team. The Eifert injury worries me, but let's be frank, most of us didn't expect him to play all year. But I'm expecting break out games soon from

Lawson- tons of pressures but only one sack. I'm expecting a big 3 sack games soon. Hope it's this week.

Ross- We saw flashes against Atlanta. Eventually he's going to have a big time game.

Burfict-Going to get better every week. This dude always brings it against Pittsburgh.

My real worry is the Bengals offensive line. If they can allow Mixon to get some room and open up the play action, I think the Bengals are going to win. They're the key to me.
Reply/Quote
I really feel we are the better team, i just dont see how that team is that good talent wise even with bell i think we are better. But im split and got both scenarios in my head, i know everybody wants this one bad. But the refs make sure they help pittsburgh out against us , and we never put our foot down on a teams neck when we are up,we seem to let them back in . I think itll be another nerve wracking nail biter at the end. And im also explecting some ejections. I can see us winning or losing this one.
Reply/Quote
Bengals will win.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I just hope we see the Bengals come out and attack like they did against Baltiwhore, on both sides of the ball and don't take their foot off the gas.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 05:01 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I really feel we are the better team, i just dont see how that team is that good talent wise even with bell i think we are better. But im split and got both scenarios in my head, i know everybody wants this one bad. But the refs make sure they help pittsburgh out against us , and we never put our foot down on a teams neck when we are up,we seem to let them back in . I think itll be another nerve wracking nail biter at the end. And im also explecting some ejections. I can see us winning or losing this one.
If we get the big time lead and Marv lets his foot off yet again I'll stop supporting him. I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but this game is just too important to even consider taking it easy with the lead. This is one time I'd be perfectly good with running up the score to absurd numbers if the offense and defense are having their ways.. Absolutely and utterly demoralize them with absolutely no apologies..

I'm picking us to win for no other reason than I'm an unapologetic Bengals Homer..  I don't think there's ever been a season I didn't truly believe we would go on to win the super bowl before the season began . Negatives and ineptitude be damned!  They're my team and nothing else matters . Lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 08:25 AM)grampahol Wrote: If we get the big time lead and Marv lets his foot off yet again I'll stop supporting him. I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but this game is just too important to even consider taking it easy with the lead. This is one time I'd be perfectly good with running up the score to absurd numbers if the offense and defense are having their ways.. Absolutely and utterly demoralize them with absolutely no apologies..

I'm picking us to win for no other reason than I'm an unapologetic Bengals Homer..  I don't think there's ever been a season I didn't truly believe we would go on to win the super bowl before the season began . Negatives and ineptitude be damned!  They're my team and nothing else matters . Lol

I mean I'm a fan whatever happens.  And the potential is certainly there talent wise - with deficits at the OL and LB positions.

And Dalton has been finding ways to win, which is big.

I don't expect it this week. 
  • If Ross plays he'll be limited - so really no point in doing it, and the coaches need to not let him convince them he's ready to play.
  • Eifert is gone and we have two good receivers.  Period.  Uzomah is decent and so is Schreck (if they play him).
  • Both tackles are playing very poor football, and the OL interior is inconsistent
  • Brown is playing hurt, Burfict did not look good against Miami and will take a couple more games to return to his stellar form
  • Billings is constantly washed out of the gap where the running back is going
  • We've had a terrible time stopping the run and covering in the middle
Pittsburgh is playing really well.  Their running game is amazing and they have 3 really good receivers.  Their TE is not Eifert, but he's a money receiver and blocker.  Their defense puts a LOT of pressure on the QB, giving very little time for receivers to get open.

We could win this game no doubt.  And this team is mentally tougher than they've been in a while - especially Dalton

But the odds are against it.

However if we get everyone healthy and we continue to grow as a team, we could very well go into Heinz field and take them down.

But it certainly would not take a miracle for us to win this game.   I am truly psyched to watch it!
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 11:52 AM)3wt Wrote: I mean I'm a fan whatever happens.  And the potential is certainly there talent wise - with deficits at the OL and LB positions.

And Dalton has been finding ways to win, which is big.

I don't expect it this week. 
  • If Ross plays he'll be limited - so really no point in doing it, and the coaches need to not let him convince them he's ready to play.
  • Eifert is gone and we have two good receivers.  Period.  Uzomah is decent and so is Schreck (if they play him).
  • Both tackles are playing very poor football, and the OL interior is inconsistent
  • Brown is playing hurt, Burfict did not look good against Miami and will take a couple more games to return to his stellar form
  • Billings is constantly washed out of the gap where the running back is going
  • We've had a terrible time stopping the run and covering in the middle
Pittsburgh is playing really well.  Their running game is amazing and they have 3 really good receivers.  Their TE is not Eifert, but he's a money receiver and blocker.  Their defense puts a LOT of pressure on the QB, giving very little time for receivers to get open.

We could win this game no doubt.  And this team is mentally tougher than they've been in a while - especially Dalton

But the odds are against it.

However if we get everyone healthy and we continue to grow as a team, we could very well go into Heinz field and take them down.

But it certainly would not take a miracle for us to win this game.   I am truly psyched to watch it!
Not sure I totally agree Pittsburgh is playing really well?? Sure they looked good against a demoralized Falcons team. Away from ketchup field, they have looked pretty bad to be honest. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 11:59 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure I totally agree Pittsburgh is playing really well?? Sure they looked good against a demoralized Falcons team. Away from ketchup field, they have looked pretty bad to be honest. 

They're certainly not dynastic or anything.  They have big holes in the secondary.

But their offense is really good.  And their defensive line is really good.   They're putting a LOT of pressure on QBs.  And PBS has been like home field for the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 02:48 AM)Brimey Wrote: I don't think we have seen the best from this team. The Eifert injury worries me, but let's be frank, most of us didn't expect him to play all year. But I'm expecting break out games soon from

Lawson- tons of pressures but only one sack. I'm expecting a big 3 sack games soon. Hope it's this week.

Ross- We saw flashes against Atlanta. Eventually he's going to have a big time game.

Burfict-Going to get better every week. This dude always brings it against Pittsburgh.

My real worry is the Bengals offensive line. If they can allow Mixon to get some room and open up the play action, I think the Bengals are going to win. They're the key to me.

I am expecting us to get pressure from the right side.  In both Steelers games I've watched this year, Villanueva has looked like the weak link on the Steeler line
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals do not win this game, I think it turns the tide for the season. It's THAT important that they win and bury the Steelers far down at the bottom of the division. With the Chiefs game a week away, I just don't see how they can survive two big losses in a row and make it anywhere in the playoffs. Win this game and I believe they gain incredible confidence that carries the team through the rest of the season.

This really is it. Do or die. Now or never.

Bengals 27
Steelers 24
Nice close game here to give everyone a heart attack, of course.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Bengals are better team and have different attitude this year.

Do not see players getting fazed by steelers antics and taking care of business efficiently.

Bengals have not really put a whole game together yet. Believe they will Sunday in a beatdown fashion.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote