Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I think Ross produces this year
Let me just start by saying that I love T.J. Houshmandzadeh.  

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Houshmandzadeh-re-routing-Ross/de40289d-9089-4811-b932-c2aadc2c1e66 

He's got what I want every Bengals player to have: 

A competitor's stuff between the ears and in the heart.   The dude knows what's up and he ALWAYS wants it.   Even an old soccer dad knows that wanting it is half the battle.  It's why I love Burfict and loved Jones.

Having said that here's why I like Ross to be a significant contributor this fall:
  1. He's finally 100% healthy (obviously he has to stay that way Ninja )
  2. He's motivated.  Dude wants to improve
  3. He's taking the initiative
  4. He's found the right guy to school him.   Housh knows the game inside and out.  And when I hear him say that there's only a few guys that really know how to get separation like he and the Ocho used to do, I get excited about the possibilities.
  5. He's working out with a contemporary who is known for his savvy, aggressiveness and toughness.
  6. Housh says Ross is not just a speedy little twig.   "He's got some thickness to him".   In size he's very similar to Antonio Brown
  7. A large part of Housh's approach is to give Ross a reason to believe in himself and recapture his confidence
  8. The plan is for Ross and Housh to work together a matter of months
  9. They've already started and Ross wants more.  
Part of the prospects for a good season depend on having enough players on the roster who are Likely to be better.   I like Lawson, Evans, Brandon Wilson, Willis, Glascow, Billings, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Redmon, Westerman and Mixon all to be better. 

Add to that the additions of Glen, Brown, Baker and (hopefully) significant contributors at center, tackle, DT and OLB and you have to be encouraged.  That's a lot of potentially improved position groups.   And much of it is already on the roster.

But Ross by being better by himself is a very exciting prospect

Here's to the 2018 Kool Aide roadside stand.

Drink up!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has to prove your first point foremost or none of the rest of it matters. I have no faith that will occur when he couldn’t stay healthy in college. It’s Eifert all over again.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He has to prove your first point foremost or none of the rest of it matters.  I have no faith that will occur when he couldn’t stay healthy in college. It’s Eifert all over again.

It's the primary concern no doubt.   He was way too high risk to take at 9.

We'll see.
Reply/Quote
Ross's production is based on Dalton's ability to stay in pocket for routes to develop. For this to happen, Dalton will need time, and not run for his life, dumping to out options. This means the O-Line needs to be fixed for Ross to have his role fully realized. Sad but true. The O-Line is a mess.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 12:43 PM)3wt Wrote: Let me just start by saying that I love T.J. Houshmandzadeh.  

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Houshmandzadeh-re-routing-Ross/de40289d-9089-4811-b932-c2aadc2c1e66 

A competitor's stuff between the ears and in the heart.   The dude knows what's up and he ALWAYS wants it.   Even an old soccer dad knows that wanting it is half the battle.  It's why I love Burfict and loved Jones.

Having said that here's why I like Ross to be a significant contributor this fall:

4. He's found the right guy to school him.   Housh knows the game inside and out.  And when I hear him say that there's only a few guys that really know how to get separation like he and the Ocho used to do, I get excited about the possibilities.
  5. He's working out with a contemporary who is known for his savvy, aggressiveness and toughness.
  6. Housh says Ross is not just a speedy little twig.   "He's got some thickness to him".   In size he's very similar to Antonio Brown
  7. A large part of Housh's approach is to give Ross a reason to believe in himself and recapture his confidence

Part of the prospects for a good season depend on having enough players on the roster who are Likely to be better.   I like Lawson, Evans, Brandon Wilson, Willis, Glascow, Billings, Ross, Boyd, Malone, Redmon, Westerman and Mixon all to be better. 

Add to that the additions of Glen, Brown, Baker and (hopefully) significant contributors at center, tackle, DT and OLB and you have to be encouraged.  That's a lot of potentially improved position groups.   And much of it is already on the roster.

Drink up!

Housh is the exact type of person for Ross to work with. Housh had the smarts and grit, that WANT to be great and that is
why he was successful. He never had the talent that Ross had except for the hands of course which Housh had some of the
best. Antonio Brown is who John Ross reminded me of in college, just faster.

Also, don't like people already calling Ross the next Eifert. He played through injuries in college but it is way too early in his
career to make such a premature proclamation. Some almost seem like they are wanting him to fail.

These people will be sorely mistaken is my prediction and Ross will be at the very least a good #2 Receiver for us IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Housh is the exact type of person for Ross to work with. Housh had the smarts and grit, that WANT to be great and that is
why he was successful. He never had the talent that Ross had except for the hands of course which Housh had some of the
best. Antonio Brown is who John Ross reminded me of in college, just faster.

Also, don't like people already calling Ross the next Eifert. He played through injuries in college but it is way too early in his
career to make such a premature proclamation. Some almost seem like they are wanting him to fail.

These people will be sorely mistaken is my prediction and Ross will be at the very least a good #2 Receiver for us IMO.

I hope you're right Nate.  And I share your optimism.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ross's production is based on Dalton's ability to stay in pocket for routes to develop.  For this to happen, Dalton will need time, and not run for his life, dumping to out options.  This means the O-Line needs to be fixed for Ross to have his role fully realized.  Sad but true.  The O-Line is a mess.

True.  And really my biggest hope is that the interior is shored up.  He was getting pressure from everywhere last year.  If they shore up the interior and Glen works out, we should have a better year.

If Ross can stay healthy I think he'll pan out.  Most of the time players work out with gurus or former players it's for a week or so.   If he works out with Houshmandzadeh for a couple of months I think it will make a big difference.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 04:38 PM)3wt Wrote: True.  And really my biggest hope is that the interior is shored up.  He was getting pressure from everywhere last year.  If they shore up the interior and Glen works out, we should have a better year.

If Ross can stay healthy I think he'll pan out.  Most of the time players work out with gurus or former players it's for a week or so.   If he works out with Houshmandzadeh for a couple of months I think it will make a big difference.

We were at the Arkansas Pro Day and the only player i could really see us looking at that fits a need is Frank Ragnow.

This guy was coached by the same guy that coached Travis Frederick in college. This same coach said Ragnow is the best Center
he has coached. That is saying something since Frederick is currently the best Center in the NFL and Pollack the guy who coached
Frederick in Dallas is now here.

Ragnow is smart and nasty, just what Pollack says he likes in his Lineman. He is big, with long arms and can anchor and handle
the big uglies. Just what we need in the AFC North. This is the one player i hope we draft. We get him and the rest is gravy IMO.

Then look for Dalton to have some time to find John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We were at the Arkansas Pro Day and the only player i could really see us looking at that fits a need is Frank Ragnow.

This guy was coached by the same guy that coached Travis Frederick in college. This same coach said Ragnow is the best Center
he has coached. That is saying something since Frederick is currently the best Center in the NFL and Pollack the guy who coached
Frederick in Dallas is now here.

Ragnow is smart and nasty, just what Pollack says he likes in his Lineman. He is big, with long arms and can anchor and handle
the big uglies. Just what we need in the AFC North. This is the one player i hope we draft. We get him and the rest is gravy IMO.

Then look for Dalton to have some time to find John Ross.

One of the guys on NFL.com does 5 round mocks (Reuter I think).  He has us taking Ragnow in the first.   Don't think it would happen but I'd be OK with it.   He also had us taking a TE in the 2nd (I would not).   He had Hernandez and Orlando Brown available.

So unlikely, but set me to day dreaming.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 12:43 PM)3wt Wrote: Let me just start by saying that I love T.J. Houshmandzadeh.  

Drink up!

I understand all of that about the other players you think are going to improve, except I don't get the Ross thing. If he were to miss the entire season on IR then he'd have a better season than he had last year. Last year he ate a roster spot of someone who could have helped the team and he fumbled his only touch and he's a WR who was the #9 pick in the draft and the guy couldn't even make 1 catch.

It's not like he had a great college career or anything that would lead anyone to believe he's going to be great. He started 1 season. He missed 1 college season to injury. He was mainly a kick returner the other 2 seasons.

Ask yourself, if he had not run a 4.22 40 would you even believe he's starter material?

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ross's production is based on Dalton's ability to stay in pocket for routes to develop.  For this to happen, Dalton will need time, and not run for his life, dumping to out options.  This means the O-Line needs to be fixed for Ross to have his role fully realized.  Sad but true.  The O-Line is a mess.

Ross' production is based on him playing better than Malone in practice so that he's actually active for games. Then he needs to get into games. Then he needs to run the right routes. Then he needs to catch the ball. And, finally, he needs to hang onto the f'n ball.

None of that has anything to do with Dalton.

Reply/Quote
I'm wondering if they'd have to trade up to get Ragnow if that's the plan.. How many other teams are hard up for a solid Center?  Somehow I just don't see them selecting a center in the first round though. It doesn't seem to be in Mike Brown's DNA despite his father's willingness to do it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
No question Ross has the talent... regardless of whether he was a slight reach, he was going to be an early selection by someone. Hopefully, he finds some motivation and clicks in the offense this year. Being healthy should also help in that regard.

The good news is, it's hard to be worse than he was last year haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 06:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I understand all of that about the other players you think are going to improve, except I don't get the Ross thing. If he were to miss the entire season on IR then he'd have a better season than he had last year. Last year he ate a roster spot of someone who could have helped the team and he fumbled his only touch and he's a WR who was the #9 pick in the draft and the guy couldn't even make 1 catch.

It's not like he had a great college career or anything that would lead anyone to believe he's going to be great. He started 1 season. He missed 1 college season to injury. He was mainly a kick returner the other 2 seasons.

Ask yourself, if he had not run a 4.22 40 would you even believe he's starter material?

Come on Chris, you are better than this.

John Ross was the best Red Zone threat in college and caught a TD 1 out of every 5 times he caught the damn ball.

That sure shouldn't lead anyone to believe he's going to be great alright. Yawn
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 05:00 PM)3wt Wrote: One of the guys on NFL.com does 5 round mocks (Reuter I think).  He has us taking Ragnow in the first.   Don't think it would happen but I'd be OK with it.   He also had us taking a TE in the 2nd (I would not).   He had Hernandez and Orlando Brown available.

So unlikely, but set me to day dreaming.

I would be very happy if we took Ragnow at 21.

Would be happier if we traded back a few spots and grabbed him and another 3rd though.

You definately take Hernandez at 46 if he is there, that would be a major steal over any TE in this Draft.

Would be fine with Hernandez at 21, but he can only play Guard and we need a RT more than a Guard right now IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 06:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ask yourself, if he had not run a 4.22 40 would you even believe he's starter material?

Sure.

His senior year he had 81 receptions and scored 19 tds.

I realize it was just one year, but he sure looked like he could start in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 06:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I understand all of that about the other players you think are going to improve, except I don't get the Ross thing. If he were to miss the entire season on IR then he'd have a better season than he had last year. Last year he ate a roster spot of someone who could have helped the team and he fumbled his only touch and he's a WR who was the #9 pick in the draft and the guy couldn't even make 1 catch.

100%. I see this going around in multiple circles that Ross is purely a speed guy and the only reason he was drafted high was because of his 40. His 40 certainly raised his stock, but he is a receiver with a wide route tree, strong catching ability who showed elite separation.

He is and was a legitimately talented prospect, whether he runs a 4.2 or a 4.5.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 07:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on Chris, you are better than this.

John Ross was the best Red Zone threat in college and caught a TD 1 out of every 5 times he caught the damn ball.

That sure shouldn't lead anyone to believe he's going to be great alright. Yawn

(04-06-2018, 08:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure.

His senior year he had 81 receptions and scored 19 tds.

I realize it was just one year, but he sure looked like he could start in the NFL.

(04-06-2018, 11:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: 100%. I see this going around in multiple circles that Ross is purely a speed guy and the only reason he was drafted high was because of his 40. His 40 certainly raised his stock, but he is a receiver with a wide route tree, strong catching ability who showed elite separation.

He is and was a legitimately talented prospect, whether he runs a 4.2 or a 4.5.

It's no secret I didn't like the Ross pick last year. His rookie season only proved what i thought of the pick.

I hope he does turn it around cause the team really does need him to show up. But he has to prove himself before I'll be a believer, even in a hopeful thread.

Reply/Quote
I have a hunch Ross will always go down in Bengals lore as just one of the players to never be good enough to satisfy certain fans. 
Even some of the all time great players throughout history have had their share of detractors and many just kind of age out and become remembered only for the last years when they couldn't keep up with the younger players. 
I'm not saying he'll ever reach "all time great" status ,but if he does there will be people who will point only to the first season as being a flop and bust. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 07:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have a hunch Ross will always go down in Bengals lore as just one of the players to never be good enough to satisfy certain fans. 
Even some of the all time great players throughout history have had their share of detractors and many just kind of age out and become remembered only for the last years when they couldn't keep up with the younger players. 
I'm not saying he'll ever reach "all time great" status ,but if he does there will be people who will point only to the first season as being a flop and bust. 

Well, he is unstoppable on madden... so consider me satisfied!!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote