Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I think Ross produces this year
(04-07-2018, 07:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have a hunch Ross will always go down in Bengals lore as just one of the players to never be good enough to satisfy certain fans. 

Isn't that about 82% of Bengal players?  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't that about 82% of Bengal players?  Ninja

Has something to do with 0-7 for sure. Fandom has turned to frustration and we all need anti-depressants to go into the season anymore. 

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 12:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It's no secret I didn't like the Ross pick last year. His rookie season only proved what i thought of the pick.

I hope he does turn it around cause the team really does need him to show up. But he has to prove himself before I'll be a believer, even in a hopeful thread.

I mean I think there are reasons to be skeptical, but there were mitigating factors as well.  And there were plenty of people who thought he was more than just a speed guy.  The biggest negative on him was injury issue and he has done nothing to all allay those fears.  And there is certainly a concern about other issues regarding his poor performance in practice and some poor decisions.   

But it was a pretty small sample.  I think we have at least a 50/ 50 prospect of him turning out.  And I'm really excited that Housh is going to br significantly involved.

And until the handwriting on the wall is definitively negative I'm taking the glass half full perspective.
Reply/Quote
With only one really good year under his belt which was in college (Pac-10 too), and the other years basically non-existent, I have absolutely no idea what to expect from him.

I hope he produces cause the team needs the production that the idiot who picked him envisioned him to have.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm certain that John Ross will produce this season. I just have to wonder what the over/under is on joy v. heartache for the fan base?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 12:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: It's no secret I didn't like the Ross pick last year. His rookie season only proved what i thought of the pick.

I hope he does turn it around cause the team really does need him to show up. But he has to prove himself before I'll be a believer, even in a hopeful thread.

Yeah it was no secret but i want to see the guy on the field in the NFL playing more than a handful of snaps before i
label the guy a bust. He has tons of talent and to act like he doesn't is just bias ignorance. Give him a chance man.

Working with Housh is a great start.
Reply/Quote
I think Ross could turn out to be a very good player for the Bengals. The dude has got more than speed, hes got some moves that can make people miss. If used properly he could be a very explosive player. What I see is potential for a player in the mold of Andrew Hawkins (slants, screens, reverses etc), except Ross could be even better with his level of talent and speed. If he stays healthy the rest is up to him. If he works hard, he should have no problem being a solid pro or even a damn good one at that.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 03:57 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think Ross could turn out to be a very good player for the Bengals. The dude has got more than speed, hes got some moves that can make people miss. If used properly he could be a very explosive player. What I see is potential for a player in the mold of Andrew Hawkins (slants, screens, reverses etc), except Ross could be even better with his level of talent and speed. If he stays healthy the rest is up to him. If he works hard, he should have no problem being a solid pro or even a damn good one at that.

Nice post, the guy in open space is electric to watch. Just get the ball in his hands and let him go to work, he can take it the
distance on any given play. Health has been the main thing holding him back, cause it sure as hell isn't ability. Said before the
Combine and he ran that 4.22 he reminded me of a faster Antonio Brown.

John Ross is a football player, not a track guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 02:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah it was no secret but i want to see the guy on the field in the NFL playing more than a handful of snaps before i
label the guy a bust. He has tons of talent and to act like he doesn't is just bias ignorance. Give him a chance man.

Working with Housh is a great start.

Hopefully he'll learn from Housh and end up be a great pick for the team.

I don't consider him a bust at this point, i just don't understand the enthusiasm about him when he's done nothing at all.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 06:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I understand all of that about the other players you think are going to improve, except I don't get the Ross thing. If he were to miss the entire season on IR then he'd have a better season than he had last year. Last year he ate a roster spot of someone who could have helped the team and he fumbled his only touch and he's a WR who was the #9 pick in the draft and the guy couldn't even make 1 catch.

It's not like he had a great college career or anything that would lead anyone to believe he's going to be great. He started 1 season. He missed 1 college season to injury. He was mainly a kick returner the other 2 seasons.

Ask yourself, if he had not run a 4.22 40 would you even believe he's starter material?

Mario Alford - ran a 4.27 - drafted in the 7th round
John Ross - ran a 4.22 - drafted 9th overall, and every mock had him going in round 1

There was more to Ross than just speed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 07:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have a hunch Ross will always go down in Bengals lore as just one of the players to never be good enough to satisfy certain fans. 
Even some of the all time great players throughout history have had their share of detractors and many just kind of age out and become remembered only for the last years when they couldn't keep up with the younger players. 
I'm not saying he'll ever reach "all time great" status ,but if he does there will be people who will point only to the first season as being a flop and bust. 

So true.

Boomer? Bengals fans hate on the guy all the time.
Dillon? Hated.
Pickens? Hated.
Dalton? Hated.
Chad? Hated.
Housh? Hated for a long time, seems to be fading now.
Eifert? Was getting hate even before he started getting injured all the time. 
Kenny? Hated through most of his playing days.

We're ok with Munoz. I think. Unless Ross goes for 1000 and 10 this year, I don't think any of his bashers will change their mind. Even if he does, some still won't.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 12:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm certain that John Ross will produce this season.  I just have to wonder what the over/under is on joy v. heartache for the fan base?

Amazing how prescient so many people are when it comes to this guy.  You know, all those billionaires who keep using their ability to see the future to win the lottery every week?

To these prophets, nothing he will ever do will be good enough.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So true.

Dillon? Hated.
Pickens? Hated.
Dalton? Hated.
Chad? Hated.

We're ok with Munoz. I think. Unless Ross goes for 1000 and 10 this year, I don't think any of his bashers will change their mind. Even if he does, some still won't.

(04-09-2018, 12:32 PM)McC Wrote: Amazing how prescient so many people are when it comes to this guy.  You know, all those billionaires who keep using their ability to see the future to win the lottery every week?

To these prophets, nothing he will ever do will be good enough.

How much should we expect from a #9 overall WR pick?

In the dark horse/dud thread I see people listing Ross as a dark horse hoping he'll push LaFell for playing time this year. That's awfully low expectations for a #9 overall pick isn't it?

The fact that no one is even talking about him earning a starting spot for game 1 this year tells you just how little people on this board expect from him.

What I want to see from him is getting on the field, making plays and helping the team win.

I didn't like the pick because I felt it was a mega reach by Mike Brown for a guy with one productive college season (in a weak defensed conference) and with a significant injury history. Just not the kind of guy I'd spend a top 10 pick on. Let someone else spend their first round pick on that guy and get a guy who's going to have impact sooooooooooon.

Reply/Quote
There shouldn't be any question of whether or not Ross was a talented receiver. You can argue if he's versatile or if his stats would translate to the NFL or whatever, but he was a talented player.

The question that was there at 9 that's still lingering is the injury concern. And until he can play 70%+ or more of a season, that's going to be hanging over him, especially after guys like Eifert and Og.
Reply/Quote
i truly believe ross is a 1 trick pony in the league and is way too frail which will cause him to be a bust. hope im wrong but i just dont see it and thats why i loathed the pick. sry just how i feel.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So true.

Dillon? Hated.
Pickens? Hated.
Dalton? Hated.
Chad? Hated.

Boomer - Can come off as an A-hole, but one of my all time favorites.
Dillon - I like Dillon. Was put off by the “flipping burgers” stuff, but I’m over it now.
Pickens - Don’t hate him, not a favorite either.
Dalton - Don’t hate him, but don’t believe in him.
Chad - Was a favorite. Then went way too diva for my taste.
Housh - I always liked him.
Eifert - I like him, but the constant injuries are frustrating.
Kenny - I always liked him. Never saw evidence that he was hated.

Ross - Hated the pick. Don’t believe he will stay healthy enough to begin to live up to it. I will gladly wolf down the crow if he can get on the field enough to post 1000 and 10.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 10:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: How much should we expect from a #9 overall WR pick?

In the dark horse/dud thread I see people listing Ross as a dark horse hoping he'll push LaFell for playing time this year. That's awfully low expectations for a #9 overall pick isn't it?

The fact that no one is even talking about him earning a starting spot for game 1 this year tells you just how little people on this board expect from him.

What I want to see from him is getting on the field, making plays and helping the team win.

I didn't like the pick because I felt it was a mega reach by Mike Brown for a guy with one productive college season (in a weak defensed conference) and with a significant injury history. Just not the kind of guy I'd spend a top 10 pick on. Let someone else spend their first round pick on that guy and get a guy who's going to have impact sooooooooooon.

well..... for WR sheer SPEED is a big deal.  Yeah, you do need to make catches ( Alford never showed that)  Ross made plays  on a high grade team.   the Best 40 time EVER? Okay, if you can't fit that into your strategy, you  ain't trying. he does not have to be a Steve largent type.  Just  going deep ,he stretched the d.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So true.

Dillon? Hated.
Pickens? Hated.
Dalton? Hated.
Chad? Hated.

Boyd needs to get some playing time too. He's entering his 3rd year and will hit FA after 2019 season. I'd like to see both Boyd and Ross get a chance to be WR2 and WR3.
I'm hoping to see both go for 500-800 yards and at least 3 TDs each. I put this expectation this low because LaFell is still on the roster at this time and he will get his share while he's on the roster and healthy.
Then if all goes well for Boyd and Ross this year, they become WR2 and WR3 in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote