Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I've Been Critical Of McCarron
So in numerous threads I have discussed many qualities in his game that I am not a fan. Gone over certain plays. Been very critical.

Sure, I'm being critical on a guy who's playing his 2nd ever game. But here's why I'm being extremely critical of him.

We have a small window right now.

This is the most talented team we've had since the Super Bow teams. Everyone is playing very well. We have players setting records. We were off to a 10-2 start with a healthy quarterback. But now we're 11-4 and have a chance to start our first playoff game with our backup quarterback.

After this year, we are losing players. Both to age and contracts expiring. We have 17 players that are going to be free agents.

Adam Jones. Leon Hall. Reggie Nelson. George Iloka. Marvin Jones. Mohamed Sanu. Andre Smith. Wallace Gilberry. Vinny Rey. Emmanuel Lamur.

That's numerous starters and key rotational players. 6 of those free agents are 30 or older.

We are very privileged as fans to go to the playoffs 5 years in a row. That's tough for ANY team to do.

We're almost spoiled as Bengals fans with the quarterback situation lately. We went from Palmer to Dalton. We went from new success to continuous success. We finally reached our potential.

That's why I'm critical on McCarron. People talk about the moments not being too big for him. He needs to prove it. He needs to do well in big time NFL situations. He lost his last SEC Championship game and the next bowl game. He lost to a very daunting defense in the Broncos and struggled against zone read.

"Oh he just needs experience". He has ONE game left to fully get that experience or else this will be like the 2005 season. One big WHAT IF situation. We need a playoff BYE week.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
We need a mega mccarron thread.....
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We need a mega mccarron thread.....

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank YOU!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:35 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So in numerous threads I have discussed many qualities in his game that I am not a fan. Gone over certain plays. Been very critical.

Sure, I'm being critical on a guy who's playing his 2nd ever game. But here's why I'm being extremely critical of him.

We have a small window right now.

This is the most talented team we've had since the Super Bow teams. Everyone is playing very well. We have players setting records. We were off to a 10-2 start with a healthy quarterback. But now we're 11-5 and have a chance to start our first playoff game with our backup quarterback.

After this year, we are losing players. Both to age and contracts expiring. We have 17 players that are going to be free agents.

Adam Jones. Leon Hall. Reggie Nelson. George Iloka. Marvin Jones. Mohamed Sanu. Andre Smith. Wallace Gilberry. Vinny Rey. Emmanuel Lamur.

That's numerous starters and key rotational players. 6 of those free agents are 30 or older.

We are very privileged as fans to go to the playoffs 5 years in a row. That's tough for ANY team to do.

We're almost spoiled as Bengals fans with the quarterback situation lately. We went from Palmer to Dalton. We went from new success to continuous success. We finally reached our potential.

That's why I'm critical on McCarron. People talk about the moments not being too big for him. He needs to prove it. He needs to do well in big time NFL situations. He lost his last SEC Championship game and the next bowl game. He lost to a very daunting defense in the Broncos and struggled against zone read.

"Oh he just needs experience". He has ONE game left to fully get that experience or else this will be like the 2005 season. One big WHAT IF situation. We need a playoff BYE week.

Ok.  So because of all the things you listed we should just expect AJ to ignore all the human elements and struggles all QBs have faced and play like a seasoned vet?  Ummm no.  Again you are delusional if you expected anymore out of the guy than what he gave to us against the Broncos.  You do realize that Aaron Rodgers Packers who were 6-0 at the time put up only 10 points on this Broncos defense right?  

None of the things you've listed about our players and our window being now has any influence on AJs experience or abilities.  He's going to play like a QB with very few starts.  Period, point blank.  Be critical of him all you want but that just shows how delusional you are expecting anymore out of him than what he's given.  

How about be critical of our supposedly good defense that folded at the end of the 2nd quarter, the first drive of the third quarter, the last drive of the 4th quarter, and the crucial first drive of overtime.  The great defenses that won the Super Bowl with terrible QBs/game managers wouldn't allow those drives to happen.  

Our great defense goes from great to bottom dwelling as soon as Paulie G subs out Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict.  Our rotational guys are straight up garbage.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 07:30 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Ok.  So because of all the things you listed we should just expect AJ to ignore all the human elements and struggles all QBs have faced and play like a seasoned vet?  Ummm no.  Again you are delusional if you expected anymore out of the guy than what he gave to us against the Broncos.  You do realize that Aaron Rodgers Packers who were 6-0 at the time put up only 10 points on this Broncos defense right?  

None of the things you've listed about our players and our window being now has any influence on AJs experience or abilities.  He's going to play like a QB with very few starts.  Period, point blank.  Be critical of him all you want but that just shows how delusional you are expecting anymore out of him than what he's given.  

How about be critical of our supposedly good defense that folded at the end of the 2nd quarter, the first drive of the third quarter, the last drive of the 4th quarter, and the crucial first drive of overtime.  The great defenses that won the Super Bowl with terrible QBs/game managers wouldn't allow those drives to happen.  

Our great defense goes from great to bottom dwelling as soon as Paulie G subs out Dunlap, Atkins, and Burfict.  Our rotational guys are straight up garbage.  

I should be critical of a team that forced a turnover at a crucial time in their territory? Critical of a defense that allowed only 17 points during regulation? One that has it's best defensive player struggling with a sickle cell trait? A defense that isn't used to such altitude? A defense that outside of one run locked down the Broncos run game? A defense that sacked the QB 3 times with an additional 4 QB hurries?

The defense didn't lose us this game. The offense did. They lead the league in points allowed with 17. They did exactly that in regulation. Gave up a field goal, but stopped the Broncos from getting a TD in overtime.

Offense lost the game, not the defense. To believe otherwise is ludicrous.

If you sack the QB 3 times, get 4 more hurries, recover a fumble, and hold the opposing offense to 17 points, you should have an offense that can win that game. We have the talent to beat that defense. We didn't execute. That falls on everyone on offense. Including McCarron.

Reply/Quote
You're critical of AJ Mac because you're a Dalton fanboy. No one else on this team would be so critical of a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 07:30 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: You do realize that Aaron Rodgers Packers who were 6-0 at the time put up only 10 points on this Broncos defense right? 

Since you also want to play this game, I'll bite.

Aaron Rodgers and the Packers also only put up 8 points against the Cardinals. A team the Bengals played. A team that Andy Dalton played against.

Aaron Rodgers only put up 158 yards and 1 TD and 1 INT. Ran for 101 yards.

Andy Dalton? 315 yards and 2 TDs. Team ran for less than 100 yards. 31 points. Put them in position to tie the game, and they did. The defense didn't pull through at the end.

Oh, and it was an away game.

The Bengals had 377 total yards of offense. Andy Dalton accounted for 349 of those yards. Over 80% of the offense was Dalton.

So, by this logic, Dalton should have done tremendously against the Broncos defense since he did better against a similar opponent to Aaron Rodgers, correct?

Oh, and we have two quarterbacks better than Aaron Rodgers by that logic as well.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 08:17 PM)Fresno B Wrote: You're critical of AJ Mac because you're a Dalton fanboy. No one else on this team would be so critical of a rookie.

He's not a rookie. And I'm critical of him because he's not as good as people claim him to be.

He wants to sit there and try to compare himself to Brady and Favre before he even gets his first start, he should get used to criticism. I like confidence, but this isn't his team. It's Andy Dalton's team.

From Coley Harvey's tweet earlier today: "Asked if he felt the Bengals could win a playoff game with AJ McCarron at the helm OC Hue Jackson said to reporters, "We hope that we can get Andy (Dalton) back because we all know what Andy is. But if we've got to play with AJ, we've got to play with AJ. I'm not afraid of that. You guys ain't seen me blink one time. Not one time.""

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We need a mega mccarron thread.....

I don't even  mcCAREon to read anymore about it 

Reply/Quote
So, you're already giving Baltimore credit for the win?? As I saw you had us listed as 11-5 in the OP..

Besides, no need to be critical of McCarron. He's played well. In fact, had receivers came up with a couple of catches in the 2nd half of the Denver game, he'd be a hero right now...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, you're already giving Baltimore credit for the win??  As I saw you had us listed as 11-5 in the OP..

Besides, no need to be critical of McCarron.  He's played well.  In fact, had receivers came up with a couple of catches in the 2nd half of the Denver game, he'd be a hero right now...

Meant to put 11-4. Used to posting 11-5. Thanks for noticing my mistake.

What catches did they need to make? One can talk about the contested catch deep down the field to Green. But that's about it. Receivers bailed him out with some amazing catches on the chalk early in the game too.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 08:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Meant to put 11-4. Used to posting 11-5. Thanks for noticing my mistake.

What catches did they need to make? One can talk about the contested catch deep down the field to Green. But that's about it. Receivers bailed him out with some amazing catches on the chalk early in the game too.

What catches?  All of them that were within their catch radius. Ninja   I'm not going to hammer any particular players, but I seem to remember at least 3 very catchable balls in the 2nd half that resulted in non-catches, and killed momentum when we could have potentially put the Broncos away.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 08:17 PM)Fresno B Wrote: You're critical of AJ Mac because you're a Dalton fanlOoboy. No one else on this team would be so critical of a rookie.

He's not a rookie. He also aluded to Brady being in the same situation as him. 

He seems a have a Phillip Rivers-esque attitude. I'll give him the fact that he played better than a 5th round, second year qb should have for two quarters. The fact that the offense sat on its laurels and didn't put up points for the next half of the game is on him as much as anyone else.

As far as I can see he is what he is...an ok backup with a big mouth. Also a qb who makes decisions too slow to beat a top caliber team without perfect play calling and support.
Reply/Quote
I'm so confused. The Bengals "D" doesn't deserve blame because they were playing at high altitude and were winded?

Seems to me the offense was playing at the same field. You can't use the winded argument for only one side of the ball.

Andre Smith had a TERRIBLE second half. That isn't on McCarron. They got a lot more pressure on him. I think both lines were exhausted.
Reply/Quote
I still can't figure out when McCarron made all of these great passes Monday night. I remember watching many wobbly passes. I remember watching the wide receivers bail him out on sideline throws by jumping, sliding, etc. The TD pass to Green wasn't a great throw. He was covered and made a great play on the ball. Had Harris actually turned his head, he probably picks that pass or knocks it away. I remember Gruden orally satisfying McCarron on a sideline throw that Marvin Jones made a circus catch on. I also remember McCarron throwing a dart on a RB swing pass that the back would've needed a rocket up his ass to catch.

I know that may seem critical of McCarron, but it's just truth. Dalton would've been torched for making the exact same throws.

McCarron is a young, inexperienced, backup QB that is playing like a young, inexperienced, backup QB. I agree that he has potential, but I haven't seen this world beater potential that makes me want to move on from Dalton like a lot of McCarron fans have. That's not being a fanboy or whatever dumb moniker anyone wants to give me. I'm not wearing blinders just because a QB not named Dalton is under center.

McCarron could end up being a good, starting QB one day. The jury's still out. Based off of what I have seen from him, he belongs on the bench when Dalton comes back. What do his 2 NCAA titles mean in the NFL? Not a damn thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 08:17 PM)Fresno B Wrote: You're critical of AJ Mac because you're a Dalton fanboy. No one else on this team would be so critical of a rookie.

I'm a Dalton fan, and that doesn't make me critical of McCarron.  In fact, I pull for McCarron, in hopes that he doesn't ruin the season that Andy has led us to.

Now, I will say that if Andy hadn't gotten injured on that 1st drive, I feel like we would have beaten Pittsburgh in a close game, would have destroyed SF so badly that AJ McCarron likely would have played the entire 2nd half, and Andy most definitely would have won that game on Monday Night.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 09:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm a Dalton fan, and that doesn't make me critical of McCarron.  In fact, I pull for McCarron, in hopes that he doesn't ruin the season that Andy has led us to.

Now, I will say that if Andy hadn't gotten injured on that 1st drive, I feel like we would have beaten Pittsburgh in a close game, would have destroyed SF so badly that AJ McCarron likely would have played the entire 2nd half, and Andy most definitely would have won that game on Monday Night.
I'm on  board with every word of this.  

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 09:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm a Dalton fan, and that doesn't make me critical of McCarron.  In fact, I pull for McCarron, in hopes that he doesn't ruin the season that Andy has led us to.

(12-30-2015, 09:03 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I'm on  board with every word of this.  

Agree as well.  AJM's our starting QB, maybe for every down the remainder of this season, so I want him to succeed.  I'm a selfish fan that way. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This whole thread just wreaks of "I told you so" yet to come and having a need to ***** about something.

So you don't like people praising AJM? So the F what.

Like Sunset said. I'm a fan of Dalton as our starting QB, but will route for whomever is playing that role.

It's not like the team or the fans have any choice.

It is what it is.

It's not like posting about it is going to change people's minds that aren't Dalton fans.

That ship has already sailed.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 09:11 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This whole thread just wreaks of "I told you so" yet to come and having a need to ***** about something.

So you don't like people praising AJM?  So the F what.

Like Sunset said.  I'm a fan of Dalton as our starting QB, but will route for whomever is playing that role.

It's not like the team or the fans have any choice.

It is what it is.

It's not like posting about it is going to change people's minds that aren't Dalton fans.

That ship has already sailed.

If that's what you got from it....welp
Reply/Quote