Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Is Trump's Wall A Bad Thing?
The cost will be 5 billion, but look at it closer.

Will the materials used to build the wall come from the United States? That's just spending money in the country and helping businesses (assuming that it's not all given to one or two big businesses).

Workers will be needed to build the wall. That's a lot of citizens put to work.

The taxes on the wall and materials needed for the wall will bring at least one billion back, so it really would only be spending 4 billion (at most).

So helping businesses, putting Americans to work, securing the boarder from criminals and drugs, while also saving money on services that would be used for illegal immigrants is a bad thing how?
(01-28-2019, 01:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The cost will be 5 billion, but look at it closer.

Will the materials used to build the wall come from the United States? That's just spending money in the country and helping businesses (assuming that it's not all given to one or two big businesses).

Workers will be needed to build the wall. That's a lot of citizens put to work.

The taxes on the wall and materials needed for the wall will bring at least one billion back, so it really would only be spending 4 billion (at most).

So helping businesses, putting Americans to work, securing the boarder from criminals and drugs, while also saving money on services that would be used for illegal immigrants is a bad thing how?

Or they could just invest that in our failing infrastructure of roads and bridges.
[Image: tea_taxed_enough_already_poster-r302052f...vr_540.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-28-2019, 01:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Or they could just invest that in our failing infrastructure of roads and bridges.

Money saved by building the wall could be used on that in the future.

You just killed two birds with one wall.
(01-28-2019, 01:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Money saved by building the wall could be used on that in the future.

You just killed two birds with one wall.

Where are the positive ROI analyses on this wall endeavor?  MIT isn't on-board, but I haven't done much googling thus far. This whole thing just reminds me of one of those "You can't afford to NOT buy this!" sales pitches you hear on an infomercial.
Most undocumented immigrants do not enter the country by crossing the border where there is no wall.

Most drugs smuggled into the country do not come across the border where there is not wall.

We need border security, but the wall seems like a massive waste of money.
(01-28-2019, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Where are the positive ROI analyses on this wall endeavor?  MIT isn't on-board, but I haven't done much googling thus far.  This whole thing just reminds me of one of those "You can't afford to NOT buy this!" sales pitches you hear on an infomercial.

now that i think about it, the wall should be made out of flex seal
(01-28-2019, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most undocumented immigrants do not enter the country by crossing the border where there is no wall.

Most drugs smuggled into the country do not come across the border where there is not wall.

I agree that it will take more than just a wall, to put a serious end to illegal border crossings, drug smuggling, and those involved with human trafficking.  

However to simply claim that "walls don't work", is highly debatable.  China, The Vatican, along with Hollywood elites all seem rather content behind the physical barriers protecting their domains.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-28-2019, 02:26 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: now that i think about it, the wall should be made out of flex seal

It should be made out of flex seal and Ron Popeil hair in a can.  

[Image: MildGoodBuckeyebutterfly-small.gif]

But wait....there's more!!!  Order now and Trump will knock of one of the flexipays on the wall!!!
(01-28-2019, 02:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: However to simply claim that "walls don't work", is highly debatable.  China, The Vatican, along with Hollywood elites all seem rather content behind the physical barriers protecting their domains.

If people the Vatican though were causing trouble were coming in the front door do you think they would just raise their wall higher?
(01-28-2019, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most undocumented immigrants do not enter the country by crossing the border where there is no wall.

I could give 2 shits if we build a wall. But I don't live along the border and have illegals entering my property daily.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-28-2019, 02:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I could give 2 shits if we build a wall. But I don't live along the border and have illegals entering my property daily.  

I guess you also don't have to worry about the guvmint seizing your privately-owned land in that case either.
(01-28-2019, 02:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I could give 2 shits if we build a wall. But I don't live along the border and have illegals entering my property daily.  

Private property owners are entitled to build any sort of wall they want.  
Isn't the $5 billion figure only for a portion of the wall? That figure seems a lil low for 2,000 miles of wall.

Personally I'm against it because I'm against anything that may impede my ability to leave the country in a hurry... Should it come to that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(01-28-2019, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: Isn't the $5 billion figure only for a portion of the wall? That figure seems a lil low for 2,000 miles of wall.

Personally I'm against it because I'm against anything that may impede my ability to leave the country in a hurry... Should it come to that.

Yep. It's not the full cost. There's also evidence to suggest that it won't save more than what it will cost. 

100% it makes more sense to spend the money on roads, bridges, and other projects. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-28-2019, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: Isn't the $5 billion figure only for a portion of the wall? That figure seems a lil low for 2,000 miles of wall.

it's a one way wall.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-28-2019, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Private property owners are entitled to build any sort of wall they want.  

Why, they don't work?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Why not just stroll on into Canada and get on the dole there?  Hain't no wall stopping ya.
I suppose had DJT actually had a plan or been willing to listen and work with people who knew better than him (hard to believe...I know)  there would probably have been funding for better protection.  Done smartly it could have gotten bi-partisan support.

Trump doesn't work "smart".  He bloviates and then stomps his feet when he doesn't get his way.

Many of the suggestions for a "barrier" have been made by Democrats and now that Trump sees he has lied himself into a corner he is trying to "negotiate".  He'll claim the ideas are his own...when there is plenty of proof they are not.

But his supporters only believe what he says today.  They don't care about the past or any facts to the contrary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/01/18/how-trumps-wall-has-evolved-despite-his-denials-that-it-has/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.035d6a1af205

Throw in that DJT got the 1.6 billion he asked for originally and you have a man with no plan.

But he made a campaign promise s some feel he should do whatever he needs to to follow through on that no matter how ill-conceived or poor of a follow through he had planned with it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-28-2019, 02:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that it will take more than just a wall, to put a serious end to illegal border crossings, drug smuggling, and those involved with human trafficking.  

However to simply claim that "walls don't work", is highly debatable.  China, The Vatican, along with Hollywood elites all seem rather content behind the physical barriers protecting their domains.

Exactly, and it will cut down the area that border patrol agents have to cover by a great deal.

People build walls around their houses and property all the time, even though there is usually no evidence that anyone has tried to rob them, but Trump wants to do it when people have been crossing illegally and it's a bad idea?