Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Isn't Marvin The Defensive Guru Taking More Control Of Defense?
The defense gave up 482 yards and record zero sacks yesterday and tons of yardage in most other games too. Why hasn't Marvin the "defensive guru" taken more control over the defense to help fix the situation? You see a lot of head coaches calling plays and Marvin is heralded as being so great when he was coaching defenses with Baltimore and Washington you think he would jump in and try working on plays with the new lackluster DC.

I think Austin is garbage, and our future head coach! Ninja
Reply/Quote
4,014 days ago I watched us score 45 points against the Browns and lose. I remember my ol' man saying something to the tune of "Well, I can't see them sticking with a defensive head coach if stuff like this is going to happen." Marvin is still here and my ol' man has been dead for almost 6 years.

Time...it makes fools of us all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 4,016 days ago I watched us score 45 points against the Browns and lose.  I remember my ol' man saying something to the tune of "Well, I can't see them sticking with a defensive head coach if stuff like this is going to happen."  Marvin is still here and my ol' man has been dead for almost 6 years.

Time...it makes fools of us all.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Anderson went off, Lewis went off. Bengals went on to go 7-9 and continued to disappoint.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I remember that game like it was yesterday. Anderson went off, Lewis went off. Bengals went on to go 7-9 and continued to disappoint.

I had to edit the number of days...it was Sept 16th 2007, so one day shy of 11 years. I do recall watching that game and the Bengals would score to take the lead and my ol' man said "Better let the Browns score now so you still have time to get the lead back."
Reply/Quote
We don't have the man power. There aren't enough schemes in all of God's creation to scheme away this simple fact. Okay, let me jump out of the river of tears and the blame game cuz I'm needed back on Earth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Atkins finished with two pressures. The entire Bengals team not only didn't have a sack but only touched Big Ben twice. , Ben Roethslisberger against the Bengals blitz yesterday: 12 of 14 for 184 yards and a TD, 13.1 YPA. No blitz: 20 of 32 for 185, 5.8 YPA.
Reply/Quote
Well, not for nothing, but Pissburgh stacked the line the whole game, and held our players like they always do....
Reply/Quote
First off I've said it numerous times. Once a narrative gets going in the forum you cannot shut it down. Our offense put up 0 points for 29 of the 30 minutes of the second half; while our D only gave up 6 points to a team coming off a 44 point game.

But to the question: Marvin did this very early in his coaching career. He took away the responsibilities from Leslie Frazier and said it was one of the worst mistakes he made in his HC career.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
In case anyone was wondering how the defense fared against the ground game: 

Conner ran for 111 yards on 19 carries for 5.84 yards an attempt and scored two touchdowns. That is pretty abysmal, especially considering how there were two nose tackles on the active roster for that game. I'm not sure what the defensive identity is supposed to be, but getting run on is not a good look.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 01:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: The defense gave up 482 yards and record zero sacks yesterday and tons of yardage in most other games too. Why hasn't Marvin the "defensive guru" taken more control over the defense to help fix the situation? You see a lot of head coaches calling plays and Marvin is heralded as being so great when he was coaching defenses with Baltimore and Washington you think he would jump in and try working on plays with the new lackluster DC.

I think Austin is garbage, and our future head coach!  Ninja

Until mike brown steps down,and marvin and company leaves this so called team will NEVER be a winner.this is going to be another losing season,they have to play teams that know how to win.and way too many injuries AGAIN.its every year,they have more hurt players than any nfl team.way over time to get another conditioning coach. should not be so many injuries please fire marvin the idiot .and Austin is a joke.TO ALL FANS, tweet,social media,fax,write letters,facebook their asses,any way you can think of to let this franchise know you will accept losing to the stoolers and you want a winning team each and every season here.until you start demanding a change,it will not happen.when you spend a couple hundred dollars every sunday to go down there and watch this shit,nothing will change,when the seats are empty,a change will come.Marvin should have been let go 10 years ago.he is awlful at time management,half time adjustments and calling poor plays,like the 4th and 1 and you punt.he is stupid as hell. Hilarious Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Until mike brown steps down,and marvin and company leaves this so called team will NEVER be a winner.this is going to be another losing season,they have to play teams that know how to win.and way too many injuries AGAIN.its every year,they have more hurt players than any nfl team.way over time to get another conditioning coach. should not be so many injuries please fire marvin the idiot .and Austin is a joke.TO ALL FANS, tweet,social media,fax,write letters,facebook their asses,any way you can think of to let this franchise know you will accept losing to the stoolers and you want a winning team each and every season here.until you start demanding a change,it will not happen.when you spend a couple hundred dollars every sunday to go down there and watch this shit,nothing will change,when the seats are empty,a change will come.Marvin should have been let go 10 years ago.he is awlful at time management,half time adjustments and calling poor plays,like the 4th and 1 and you punt.he is stupid as hell. Hilarious Cool

Nice how your rant travels.  I've seen these exact words about eight times now.   How many more will it take?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 05:10 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: In case anyone was wondering how the defense fared against the ground game: 

Conner ran for 111 yards on 19 carries for 5.84 yards an attempt and scored two touchdowns. That is pretty abysmal, especially considering how there were two nose tackles on the active roster for that game. I'm not sure what the defensive identity is supposed to be, but getting run on is not a good look.

Well, you could have a dozen NT's but if none of them are worth anything, what difference would it make?

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: First off I've said it numerous times. Once a narrative gets going in the forum you cannot shut it down. Our offense put up 0 points for 29 of the 30 minutes of the second half; while our D only gave up 6 points to a team coming off a 44 point game.

But to the question: Marvin did this very early in his coaching career. He took away the responsibilities from Leslie Frazier and said it was one of the worst mistakes he made in his HC career.

This; we're playing perhaps one of the best offenses in the NFL kept them in check with 3 starters out. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Marvin has never been able to save the Defense. Only time we had a legit D was under Zimmer, and Marv and Co ran with that scheme until they couldn't run with it no more because they couldn't adapt it because they weren't the originator of it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote