Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Jack Del Rio Will Be Hard to Get for DC
Everyone who knows me knows I’m a YUGE fan of what Jack Del Rio has done in his career as a defensive coordinator and as a linebacker coach. Does the name Ray Lewis ring a bell? He might be the best linebacker I ever saw* and Jack was his position coach in Baltimore under the best defensive coordinator I ever saw: Marvin Lewis. As defensive coordinator Jack turned both the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos into defensive powerhouses. We also know Marvin and Jack have been friends for decades and I can slam-dunk guarantee you those two have been texting and talking ever since the Son of Al unceremoniously fired Jack.

Here’s the thing: Jack Del Rio sees himself as a head coach. That’s both good and bad. Jack, however, isn’t an effective head coach and I say that with respect. Yes, he had some good years in Jacksonville and a stellar 12-4 season in Oakland in 2016 but he’s actually won less than Marvin as a head coach. Jack is a defensive coordinator, period...

...which means Mike Brown will have to open his wallet and make Jack an offer he can’t refuse. Marvin will have to sweeten the pot a little by guaranteeing Jack hiring power over defensive free agents, a seat at the table for the draft with significant input, and maybe even offer him the “assistant head coach” position now that Paul Alexander is, ahem, finally poop-canned.

Jack Del Rio is waiting for the phone to ring to head coach interviews. I don’t think they will materialize.

Finally, Mike and Marvin need to convince Jack that the defensive coordinator job in Cincinnati is a great job. Look at all the talent the Bengals have on defense! Jack could mold Vontaze Burfict into a non-homicidal version of Ray Lewis. He could turn George Iloka into a gigantic twice as mean version of Ed Reed. Who wouldn’t want to have the chance to develop great players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and the soon to have his own “island,” William Jackson III?

*Vontaze Burfict might turn out to be better. We’ll see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The harder sell to Del Rio would be, telling him his HC will stick his nose in it and screw shit up.
Reply/Quote
Jack Del Rio isnt coming to Cincinnati. This sounds the same as people wanting Gruden for the head coaching job. Its just not going to happen.

Its not about money or control. Its about the organization. No one wants to come work for the Bengals organization, especially coveted guys like Del Rio and Gruden who could entertain much more appealing offers from better organizations elsewhere.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't think its that far fetched. Lets face it while this team has been lackluster in playoff performances its a factory for pumping out perspective head coaches. Hugh Jackson came back here, Zim came and went, Gruden, Paulie G will be a headcoach one day. We have a lot of defensive talent and can be a great place for him to reset for a year or two then take over here possibly or give it another go. I think he got a bad shake from Oakland to be honest and the reason they really fired him was because they were talking to gruden about taking over a team going to Vegas with a great quarterback. If it wasn't for the Gruden factor he may still be coaching the raiders.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Damn, sounds like it won't happen, thought he would fit perfect here.

Del Rio just isn't a good HC, he is a great DC though, wish he could see this.

Eh, guess i am for Vic Fangio now, he had some great Defenses in San Fran while running a 3-4 that Marv is hinting using more.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jack Del Rio isnt coming to Cincinnati. This sounds the same as people wanting Gruden for the head coaching job. Its just not going to happen.

Its not about money or control. Its about the organization. No one wants to come work for the Bengals organization, especially coveted guys like Del Rio and Gruden who could entertain much more appealing offers from better organizations elsewhere.

The Bengals would not offer him the kind of money to entice him to come here. They're not going to cough up several millions dollars to lure him here.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Can we at least get Rob Ryan as DC? Lol. J/K
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, sounds like it won't happen, thought he would fit perfect here.

Del Rio just isn't a good HC, he is a great DC though, wish he could see this.

Eh, guess i am for Vic Fangio now, he had some great Defenses in San Fran while running a 3-4 that Marv is hinting using more.

I think Jack Del Rio will be considered for the defensive coordinator position here in Cincinnati. He just needs a couple days to realize he’s not going to get any head coach interviews.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:01 PM)whodey1967 Wrote: Can we at least get Rob Ryan as DC? Lol. J/K

Austin or promotion from within. One of those two IMO. Only because that's the only person they've interviewed so far.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:01 PM)whodey1967 Wrote: Can we at least get Rob Ryan as DC? Lol. J/K

Rex > Rob, but that’s not saying much.
Reply/Quote

The good 'ole annual coaching carousel, it's like match.com for pro football teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not sure why everyone is ruling Jack out? I f him and giggles are friends, maybe together they can get somewhere and get those HC interviews going again?

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure why everyone is ruling Jack out? I f him and giggles are friends, maybe together they can get somewhere and get those HC interviews going again?

From an Xs and Os point of view, it shouldn't really be a hard sell.  The Bengal defensive roster has plenty of good material to work with.  You know that given their history, Marv would most likely let him do things how he wants.  It's just a matter of Del Rio deciding to take a step back to the role of coordinator.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:51 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't think its that far fetched.  Lets face it while this team has been lackluster in playoff performances its a factory for pumping out perspective head coaches.  Hugh Jackson came back here, Zim came and went, Gruden, Paulie G will be a headcoach one day.  We have a lot of defensive talent and can be a great place for him to reset for a year or two then take over here possibly or give it another go.  I think he got a bad shake from Oakland to be honest and the reason they really fired him was because they were talking to gruden about taking over a team going to Vegas with a great quarterback.  If it wasn't for the Gruden factor he may still be coaching the raiders.

A LOT of truth in this.....and I'm gonna have to agree that you have a good theory on his firing.  They didn't really give Hue Jackson a fair shake either.  We'll see, I'm not holding my breath, but, as you say, it's not that far fetched.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:51 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't think its that far fetched.  Lets face it while this team has been lackluster in playoff performances its a factory for pumping out perspective head coaches.  Hugh Jackson came back here, Zim came and went, Gruden, Paulie G will be a headcoach one day.  We have a lot of defensive talent and can be a great place for him to reset for a year or two then take over here possibly or give it another go.  I think he got a bad shake from Oakland to be honest and the reason they really fired him was because they were talking to gruden about taking over a team going to Vegas with a great quarterback.  If it wasn't for the Gruden factor he may still be coaching the raiders.

Great point about Del Rio leaving Oakland. Gruden in Vegas, will sell a lot of tickets. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Great point about Del Rio leaving Oakland. Gruden in Vegas, will sell a lot of tickets. 

His name was gruden, he was a showgirl.

Reply/Quote
I don't think it's going to happen because it's what the fans want.
Reply/Quote
It'll be austin and I'm ok with it,not thrilled or mad ,I kind of like him.
Reply/Quote
You guys do know that Del Rio and Lewis are best friends.
Their kids are like cousins. So I've read in a few articles already.

Not to hard to see it happening
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:40 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: I don't think it's going to happen because it's what the fans want.

Ordinarily, I would agree, but Paul Alexander.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote