Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Jack Del Rio Will Be Hard to Get for DC
(01-05-2018, 06:22 PM)McC Wrote: Ordinarily, I would agree, but Paul Alexander.

Exactly, I haven't been so satisfied by a Bengal assistant losing his job since Bob Bratkowski. Although, Paul Guenther leaving town sweetens the deal a bit..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My cat is still available ..She's currently laying on the workbench hoping to get petted.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:00 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Bengals would not offer him the kind of money to entice him to come here. They're not going to cough up several millions dollars to lure him here.

Any money he earned would be offset off his raiders contract. So technically he won’t any more than what he would as raiders head coach .
Reply/Quote
Ol Mikey B could tell Del Rio he could be coach after Marvs two year extension is up. However after the 2019 season is up Marv will probably get a 10 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati could land Jack Del Rio.
Cincinnati could have landed Jon Gruden as Head Coach.
Cincinnati could have more scouts.
Cincinnati could have an indoor practice facility.
Cincinnati could have all these things and more, all it takes is an owner that is willing to spend the money and relinquish control to make these things happen.
Hamilton County taxpayers have given this ownership the biggest sweetheart deal in all of pro sports, too bad ownership doesn't feel the need to do whatever is necessary to reward the fans, the city, and the taxpayers in the same manner, and most likely never will.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 06:22 PM)McC Wrote: Ordinarily, I would agree, but Paul Alexander.

I hear you, but resigning Marvin trumps that
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 08:01 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: I hear you, but resigning Marvin trumps that

With Mike Brown not retiring, Marvin demanding more control in order to agree to come back my have been the best we fans could have hoped for.  At 82, it's not like Mike wants to start a new relationship, and have to give in to demands to a person that he barely knows.  The whole 'moving on from Marv' thing was only a pipe dream that also included Mike retiring, and handing the team to Katie as a clean slate.

As a result, two long time offensive assistants are now gone. (Zampeese and Alexander)  Also gone is a laid back, wishy washy, anything goes type of DC.  That guy literally took one of the premier defenses in the league, and steered it straight toward the bottom of the league, in just 3 seasons.  Good riddance.

Marv may have his faults, make some bone headed in game decisions and such, but I guarantee that we fans could be much worse off if Mike were forced to elevate one of the staff from last year, or take whatever stooge was willing to come here under "Mike's terms".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Everyone who knows me knows I’m a YUGE fan of what Jack Del Rio has done in his career as a defensive coordinator and as a linebacker coach. Does the name Ray Lewis ring a bell? He might be the best linebacker I ever saw* and Jack was his position coach in Baltimore under the best defensive coordinator I ever saw: Marvin Lewis. As defensive coordinator Jack turned both the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos into defensive powerhouses. We also know Marvin and Jack have been friends for decades and I can slam-dunk guarantee you those two have been texting and talking ever since the Son of Al unceremoniously fired Jack.

Here’s the thing: Jack Del Rio sees himself as a head coach. That’s both good and bad. Jack, however, isn’t an effective head coach and I say that with respect. Yes, he had some good years in Jacksonville and a stellar 12-4 season in Oakland in 2016 but he’s actually won less than Marvin as a head coach. Jack is a defensive coordinator, period...

...which means Mike Brown will have to open his wallet and make Jack an offer he can’t refuse. Marvin will have to sweeten the pot a little by guaranteeing Jack hiring power over defensive free agents, a seat at the table for the draft with significant input, and maybe even offer him the “assistant head coach” position now that Paul Alexander is, ahem, finally poop-canned.

Jack Del Rio is waiting for the phone to ring to head coach interviews. I don’t think they will materialize.

Finally, Mike and Marvin need to convince Jack that the defensive coordinator job in Cincinnati is a great job. Look at all the talent the Bengals have on defense! Jack could mold Vontaze Burfict into a non-homicidal version of Ray Lewis. He could turn George Iloka into a gigantic twice as mean version of Ed Reed. Who wouldn’t want to have the chance to develop great players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and the soon to have his own “island,” William Jackson III?

*Vontaze Burfict might turn out to be better. We’ll see.

Who knows, he may look at our division and see that Ben is retiring, Balt is not the same and Cleveland is well Cleveland, even though I think Cleveland is going to be a very good team soon. I think we really missed the perfect window to really clean house Marvin included, but Jack would get me feeling a little better about the current situation.

On the flip side he may still get HC offers with all the options out there, maybe Detroit, Indy or Chicago. He may not want to deal with a Burfict, Pac Man Mike Brown etc. who knows. I would definitely be doing everything possible to get him here if I was Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Given Marvin and Jack's relationship, I could see it happening very easily, just like Hue coming in after Oakland fired him.....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Given Marvin and Jack's relationship, I could see it happening very easily, just like Hue coming in after Oakland fired him.....
Hell, Hue came in as a defensive assistant.  He wasn't even a position coach.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What if Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis sit down with Jack Del Rio and tell him, "Come to the Bengals, be the DC for two years and if the Defense is top 3 at the end of season two, you get the HC Job"?
Reply/Quote
I think it's a natural fit if they're willing to pay for him, which is a big if.

Del Rio has had two chances to prove he can be an effective NFL coach and neither has ended well for him. I doubt anyone's making him a HC offer this year. If he really wants a path back to that spot, this team and it's irrational and sometimes downright stupid sense of loyalty to internal staff may be his best bet. He could ply his trade as a DC for Marvin's 2 year deal and slide right in.

Given his success as a DC, the fans would probably love him by then.

The only reasons I see for him not wanting to come here are the monetary one I just mentioned, and the fact that this team is currently a giant laughingstock around the league. It's not like anywhere else in the NFL when it comes to doing business or personnel, and that's a disadvantage to any prospective coach.

Just think about how we see the whole Marvin returning scenario. We know it's dumb and most likely won't end well. We've seen this same thing pay out for 15 seasons. Do people not think that a former NFL HC can see it, too? Why would anyone who's not on their last legs as a potential hire come here if they had other options? Better hope he and Marvin are super-best friends and he's got a huge sense of loyalty.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:33 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: What if Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis sit down with Jack Del Rio and tell him, "Come to the Bengals, be the DC for two years and if the Defense is top 3 at the end of season two, you get the HC Job"?

Exactly what I was thinking....

I think ego wise it must be tough going back from Raiders HC to Bengals DC..especially as its to work under a guy who  he worked under years ago. Clearly he likes Lewis and they're mates but I'm wondering if that might actually make it worse and rub in the fact its a backward step.

What could smooth over all of that is to give him total control on the Defense side , draft /FA everything....and try and see if you can appease him with the inside track on HC if he performs.

We've already seen Hue, Jay , Zim and maybe even P Guenther be positioned this way as co-ordinators so I think its a good proposition for JDR
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:33 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: What if Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis sit down with Jack Del Rio and tell him, "Come to the Bengals, be the DC for two years and if the Defense is top 3 at the end of season two, you get the HC Job"?

Seems like I remember reading about the Bengals trying this very idea a couple of years ago, only with Hue Jackson.  Hue was already a part of the Bengals organization, and he bolted for the 1st chance to get back into a HC gig.

If a man has it in his head that he wants to be a HC, that is going to be the route he pursues.  Until the HC positions are all filled, I think that we can rule out Jack Del Rio as a DC candidate.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There is a long list of Head Coaches that returned to Co-Ordinator roles. Dick LeBeau, Hue Jackson are just two that come to mind. It's not that big of a deal, given that there are only 32 HC jobs, and in any given year only a few come open. If he wants another shot at HC, taking an OC or DC job is his best bet, and he knows it. And, if you are going to do it, why not do it with a friend? I think it makes sense for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is a long list of Head Coaches that returned to Co-Ordinator roles. Dick LeBeau, Hue Jackson are just two that come to mind. It's not that big of a deal, given that there are only 32 HC jobs, and in any given year only a few come open. If he wants another shot at HC, taking an OC or DC job is his best bet, and he knows it. And, if you are going to do it, why not do it with a friend? I think it makes sense for him.

100% agree. Just wish he would sign already and end the suspense.

Reply/Quote