Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Joe Brady?
(12-08-2020, 03:47 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I’d take Brady as OC, as long as Bienemy is HC

I would take either over Zach. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the biggest issue with hiring is that we don't necessarily see the things that matter the most, and that's the ability to lead and juggle personalities. Obviously success matters on the field, but it has to be someone successful off the field as well, with a staff that follows the lead. I don't necessarily know who that is, but it seems like we may need to go for more of an established guy who players respect.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:47 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I’d take Brady as OC, as long as Bienemy is HC

Brady can’t make a lateral move while he is under contract as the OC of the Panthers they can refuse to let him go.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And a year as an OC for an SEC team that won the national championship and produced the greatest college QB season of all-time. Ever looked up what Zac did as a college OC?

Not a 100% sure how much of the Panthers offense is Brady’s offense or Rhule’s offense.

This seems to be getting underplayed for some reason. If you’re talking about taking a chance on another young first time HC (which we might have to) that season is going to be hard to beat, imo.

*one correction though Brady was the passing game coordinator at LSU.

Reply/Quote
People talk about Brady and Burrow having a connection.

It could really backfire if Brady flops.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 09:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: People talk about Brady and Burrow having a connection.

It could really backfire if Brady flops.

Or they could pick right up where they left off at LSU...

Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28015035/how-lsu-tigers-offense-completely-changed-thanks-joe-brady

Posted this in the other thread but anything I've ever read on him screams head coach.
Reply/Quote
Just saw these stats on reddit...

Panthers are 10th in DVOA, 10th in yards per play, and 12th in EPA per play

Reply/Quote
I agree. Look at what Ron Rivera is doing with Washington right now. They were horrible the last few years, and the start of this year. His coaching is turning things around in the second half of the season.

I'd strongly prefer the best, most proven coach available. Someone without the stench of failure. I like Caldwell (ex coach of Lions), but he stinks of failure. I like the Falcons ex coach, but he stinks of failure from all those late game collapses--starting with the Super Bowl.

I would go with someone like the defensive coordinator for the 9ers. They lost a lot of players on D, and they're still playing pretty decent. He's a great coach. Many see him as the best available HC candidate this year.

I also like Bielemy based on what you hear out of KC. I didn't hear anything like that being said about Zac Taylor from his days in LA. Nobody made any bold proclamations like they're doing in KC.

Both of these coaches don't have the stench of loss attached to them either. Yeah, I guess the 9ers D did lose out late in the Super Bowl, but Patrick freakin' Mahomes is what happened.

I'd rather have a proven 'top level' coach in this league, than an unproven coach that hasn't put in his time. It worked somewhat with Marv, use the same method, but hope for a better result.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I keep seeing people want Brady as HC and I can't fathom why? LIke I get, Burrow had a great college season with Brady as his "passing game coordinator" but dude has only been in the NFL for 2 and a half seasons; he's in the middle of his 3rd season on an NFL coaching staff.

Granted, he definitely seems to be a better offensive coordinator than Zac was at any level, but aside from that, dude has LESS EXPERIENCE coaching in the NFL than Zac Taylor. And we can see what that's gotten Zac.

Bengals need to not follow up an experience-lacking HC for one with even LESS experience.

Agree for the most part, that said, Marvin was the best coach we've had during the Mike era and he had no prior HC experience. 

It's more about finding the right guy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer experience after this debacle.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I was reading this thread last night and I wanted a reply to blow a few gaskets.

Wait for it...

Here it is...

Make Hue the OC.

He had the most successful (Marvin era) Bengal's offense, he was the only OC that knew how to use Gio properly and he created the Star Wars formations that were not only novel but highly effective.

Bring the shit, friends. Bring it! Shit on me for that take, I'll defend it like the Alamo.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agree for the most part, that said, Marvin was the best coach we've had during the Mike era and he had no prior HC experience. 

It's more about finding the right guy, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer experience after this debacle.

It's no so much that Brady doesn't have previous HC experience, it's that he's lacking in general coaching experience. I mean, if you count his college coaching years, he's still only been coaching for 7 years (in contrast, Marvin was a coach for over 20 years - counting college - before becoming a HC). Dude could end up being a great HC, but I just think it's way too early to give him a shot. 

(12-09-2020, 06:22 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I was reading this thread last night and I wanted a reply to blow a few gaskets.

Wait for it...

Here it is...

Make Hue the OC.

He had the most successful (Marvin era) Bengal's offense, he was the only OC that knew how to use Gio properly and he created the Star Wars formations that were not only novel but highly effective.

Bring the shit, friends. Bring it! Shit on me for that take, I'll defend it like the Alamo.

Honestly, I just want to be a winning team again, especially in the playoffs. So, sure, I'd be fine with Hue at HC, but only if we can't get someone more promising. And I definitely would give rather have him be HC here than Zac.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I keep seeing people want Brady as HC and I can't fathom why? LIke I get, Burrow had a great college season with Brady as his "passing game coordinator" but dude has only been in the NFL for 2 and a half seasons; he's in the middle of his 3rd season on an NFL coaching staff.

Granted, he definitely seems to be a better offensive coordinator than Zac was at any level, but aside from that, dude has LESS EXPERIENCE coaching in the NFL than Zac Taylor. And we can see what that's gotten Zac.

Bengals need to not follow up an experience-lacking HC for one with even LESS experience.

Agreed.  I put on the other coaching thread (the one with all the choices that didn't include Darrin Simmons) that I would love to have him as our OC, but not a HC.  
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  I put on the other coaching thread (the one with all the choices that didn't include Darrin Simmons) that I would love to have him as our OC, but not a HC.  

Yeah, I wouldn't mind him as OC, but do people think if he's HC that he's going to also be the playcaller a la Zac? And, if not and he hires an OC to call the plays, why, then, would you want someone so lacking in coaching experience to be a HC?
Reply/Quote
Just for comparisons sake, counting college seasons, Brady is finishing up his 7th season as a football coach.

Prior to their first head coaching gig, the following head coaches were coaches for (#) of years before becoming HC (counting college):
Bill Belichick 26 years before becoming HC
Jon Gruden 13 years
Andy Reid 17 years
Kevin Stefanski 14 years
Matt Rhule 14 years
Sean Payton 18 years
Joe Judge 15 years
Hue Jackson 14 years
Jay Gruden 17 years
Zac Taylor 7 years

I tried to just pick different coaches both old and new and so far, outside of Zac, the one with the least experience I found was Jon Gruden and he had been coach for 13 years before becoming HC.

FYI, if Bieniemy were to become a HC next season, he would do so after being a coach for 19 years.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure Zach is going anywhere, but I would like
Aaron Glenn as DC and Mike McDaniel as OC.

And I believe the Bengals tried to go for Glenn in the past but was denied. Can't now with the new ruling I believe.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 06:22 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I was reading this thread last night and I wanted a reply to blow a few gaskets.

Wait for it...

Here it is...

Make Hue the OC.

No shit here. I'm right there with you!

Hue Jackson as OC easily makes JoeB a multi- year MVP...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 06:22 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: I was reading this thread last night and I wanted a reply to blow a few gaskets.

Wait for it...

Here it is...

Make Hue the OC.

I'd be down for it.  Hue is a terrific OC.  He used every weapon the Bengal has effectively when he was here, and there were a lot of them.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: It's no so much that Brady doesn't have previous HC experience, it's that he's lacking in general coaching experience. I mean, if you count his college coaching years, he's still only been coaching for 7 years (in contrast, Marvin was a coach for over 20 years - counting college - before becoming a HC). Dude could end up being a great HC, but I just think it's way too early to give him a shot. 

Honestly, I just want to be a winning team again, especially in the playoffs. So, sure, I'd be fine with Hue at HC, but only if we can't get someone more promising. And I definitely would give rather have him be HC here than Zac.
Hue as OC, not HC. Could he be a good HC here? I'm not sure, but I know he would most likley be a great OC just like he was before.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: It's no so much that Brady doesn't have previous HC experience, it's that he's lacking in general coaching experience. I mean, if you count his college coaching years, he's still only been coaching for 7 years (in contrast, Marvin was a coach for over 20 years - counting college - before becoming a HC). Dude could end up being a great HC, but I just think it's way too early to give him a shot.

I think it's just something you either possess or you don't. There's been guys who were great HCs without a ton of prior experience, and there's been countless guys hanging around for 20-30 years who would make terrible HC's. 

It's kinda like leadership at the QB position. That's something guys are born with...or not. You can't just learn it over time.

All that said, again, I'd prefer a veteran HC with some prior success on his resume. I'm just saying that just because Zac Taylor was a dud doesn't mean someone like Bieniemy or Brady will be as well.

I feel like we're letting the Taylor failure affect our opinion a little too much. Sometimes (not necessarily with Brady) the young up and comer is worth a shot. Tbh, most hires are a total gamble. Especially with our FO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote