Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Kirk is superior to Picard
Kirk later became a lawyer, never lost a case, and got his name on the door.....LOL, #86 is way too low on this list
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:15 PM)Bryan Wrote: What? No love for Captain Janeway?

I liked Janeway.  A few weeks back I purchased a seven-season bundle of Star Trek:Voyager.  Still in it's shirkwrap, waiting for some free time to unwrap it and watch it all over again. 

But, you're interjection of Janeway Into the Kirk/Picard debate reminded me of this:

“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:15 PM)Bryan Wrote: What? No love for Captain Janeway?

Janeway is a little tough to judge because she had all of that advanced technology. She was the best captain at wheeling and dealing. But it always seemed they were getting their butts kicked by screwy little second rate aliens. It's hard to picture her going up against the Tholians or Khan or the Doomsday Device (okay... technically, Kirk didn't beat that one, the other captain kamikazied it). Still, she did have Kirk-like qualities and was willing to throw out the rule book every once in awhile. I give her a close second to Kirk.

Still, one has to think how much that series would have been improved if she would have had Kirk's galaxy romping womanizing habits, eh.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 02:03 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Kirk is superior to Picard. Only Star Wars fans would disagree. Tongue

That's because we're wondering why you're wasting your time with this inferior space opera. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:41 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: That's because we're wondering why you're wasting your time with this inferior space opera. 

Ah.. Star Wars! Nothing but Star Wars! Gimme those Star Wars.. don't let them end! Ah.. Star Wars! If they should bar wars.. please let these Star Wars stay-ay! And, hey! How about that nutty Star Wars bar? Can you forget all those creatures in there? And, hey! Darth Vader in that black and evil mask - did he scare you as much as he scared me-e-e-e?

[Image: bill_murray_nick_snl.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 11:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Janeway is a little tough to judge because she had all of that advanced technology. She was the best captain at wheeling and dealing. But it always seemed they were getting their butts kicked by screwy little second rate aliens. It's hard to picture her going up against the Tholians or Khan or the Doomsday Device (okay... technically, Kirk didn't beat that one, the other captain kamikazied it). Still, she did have Kirk-like qualities and was willing to throw out the rule book every once in awhile. I give her a close second to Kirk.

Still, one has to think how much that series would have been improved if she would have had Kirk's galaxy romping womanizing habits, eh.

Advanced tech or no, she took on unknown species, the Borg, and uncharted territories with no Federation support. Kirk would have fallen on his face one month in and there would have been a mutiny. Picard may, may have had a chance. Janeway made it happen though.

Even Sisko would have been better than Kirk in the same situation. I'll give Kirk the upper hand on Archer, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 07:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Advanced tech or no, she took on unknown species, the Borg, and uncharted territories with no Federation support. Kirk would have fallen on his face one month in and there would have been a mutiny. Picard may, may have had a chance. Janeway made it happen though.

Even Sisko would have been better than Kirk in the same situation. I'll give Kirk the upper hand on Archer, though.

In the Delta quadrant, in a street fight with some unkown species, I'd never bet against Kirk's survival instincts. He made his rep cheating death time and time again. Janeway was one tough broad for actually doing it.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:39 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: In the Delta quadrant, in a street fight with some unkown species, I'd never bet against Kirk's survival instincts. He made his rep cheating death time and time again. Janeway was one tought broad for actually doing it.

By survival instincts do you mean libido? That's the only thing Kirk has going for him over the other captains. LOL

They all showed an ability to survive in those tight situations, though. So it's hard to give Kirk a bonus for that. Wouldn't have been good television to have captains getting killed off like TOS redshirts.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: By survival instincts do you mean libido? That's the only thing Kirk has going for him over the other captains. LOL

Jim Kirk knew: if you're gonna go down, go down swingin'.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:41 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: That's because we're wondering why you're wasting your time with this inferior space opera. 

Eh, one space opera is not any worse than another.

Besides, they ain't no Firefly. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, one space opera is not any worse than another.

Meh...

Trek swats your Firefly. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: By survival instincts do you mean libido? That's the only thing Kirk has going for him over the other captains. LOL

They all showed an ability to survive in those tight situations, though. So it's hard to give Kirk a bonus for that. Wouldn't have been good television to have captains getting killed off like TOS redshirts.

No other captain could have gotten away with something like this:

Game over.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 08:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, one space opera is not any worse than another.

His second best show behind Buffy. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
You guys are a bunch of dorks. :slapping:
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2015, 09:47 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I liked Janeway.  A few weeks back I purchased a seven-season bundle of Star Trek:Voyager.  Still in it's shirkwrap, waiting for some free time to unwrap it and watch it all over again. 

But, you're interjection of Janeway Into the Kirk/Picard debate reminded me of this:

Except unlike the Wii or Wii U Janeway is a legit contender.

Reply/Quote
Sticking with the Star Trek theme, who is better: Mr. Spock, Lieutenant Commander Data, or 7 of 9?

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:05 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Meh...

Trek swats your Firefly. Ninja

Last month, I tried to watch Firefly on Netflix. Couldn't even make it through the first episode. Story didn't make sense and I honest-to-God got bored waiting for it to resemble some kind of plot.

And I enjoyed Serendipity (or whatever the movie was called).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:12 PM)Bryan Wrote: Except unlike the Wii or Wii U Janeway is a legit contender.

Legit contender for what? Wiis are still sold. What are you on about?

This guy is right:

(09-06-2015, 05:02 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You guys are a bunch of dorks. :slapping:
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 04:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: His second best show behind Buffy. 

Which is not the ringing endorsement it sounds, really. I mean, the other two are Dollhouse and angel. Not much of a fight, there. LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:14 PM)Bryan Wrote: Sticking with the Star Trek theme, who is better: Mr. Spock, Lieutenant Commander Data, or 7 of 9?

Comparing those three? Spock.

Taking it another direction though:

First Officers: Spock, Riker, Nerys, or Chakotay

Chief Engineer: Scotty, LeForge, O'Brien, or Torres

Chief Tactical Officer: Chekov, Worf, Tuvok, or Odo (if he counts)

Reply/Quote