Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Mike Brown opposes team relocations
Mike was the only owner consistently against the Rams relocating to LA. He was one of only 2 to vote against approving the move.  His reasoning should put some local's minds at ease.  Of course we know all bets are off once he's no longer owns the team.  But I do not see Katie Blackburn or her brother Paul moving the team. 

“I think all these teams are successful being where they are,” Brown said at one point. “Shouldn’t we be supportive of the markets that have supported us for all these years?”

Even Florio came up with a positive comment

Brown has a reputation among his partners for being a contrarian, and for pretty much-opposing everything the rest of them want to do. Sometimes, however, he’s the voice of reason. He realizes that everyone is making great money and that there’s a balance to strike between unabashed greed and loyalty to customers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/14/mike-brown-took-a-stand-against-rams-leaving-st-louis/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 11:29 AM)pally Wrote: Brown has a reputation among his partners for being a contrarian, and for pretty much-opposing everything the rest of them want to do. Sometimes, however, he’s the voice of reason. 

Fredtoast approves this message.
Reply/Quote
We've all bashed Mikey for his loyalty at times, but it's hard to bash Mikey for his loyalty..  ThumbsUp He kind of grows on you like that weird tooth you get pulled and eventually miss, doesn't he? 
You know what we should do if the Bengals win the superbowl when he's still alive? Put up billboards all over town saying, "Mike Brown wasn't as bad as we thought after all."  I like Mike.. Well..in a grandfatherly kind of way anyway.. and since both my parents are dead I'm available for adoption at a mere 63 years young! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 11:29 AM)pally Wrote: Mike was the only owner consistently against the Rams relocating to LA. He was one of only 2 to vote against approving the move.  His reasoning should put some local's minds at ease.  Of course we know all bets are off once he's no longer owns the team.  But I do not see Katie Blackburn or her brother Paul moving the team. 

“I think all these teams are successful being where they are,” Brown said at one point. “Shouldn’t we be supportive of the markets that have supported us for all these years?”

Even Florio came up with a positive comment

Brown has a reputation among his partners for being a contrarian, and for pretty much-opposing everything the rest of them want to do. Sometimes, however, he’s the voice of reason. He realizes that everyone is making great money and that there’s a balance to strike between unabashed greed and loyalty to customers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/14/mike-brown-took-a-stand-against-rams-leaving-st-louis/

As a British fan the whole concept of relocating the team and carrying on is just so, so alien to me.

There is only one example off top of my head in English league soccer where a team picked up the 'franchise' and relocated and that was in the lower leagues (non premiership) ...and the franchise that carried on elsewhere were hardly universally loved for that move.

If Mike Brown has an aversion to relocation then for me its one of the things i actually would agree with him on and an example of where actually what some would say is conservatism is actually a bit of integrity / loyalty ...for similar reasons i love the fact its still 'Paul Brown Stadium' and not just come corporate re-naming.
Reply/Quote