Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
" Why Should I Pay a Guard or a Center " --Mike Brown
Why Indeed ?....Mike Brown has said this from Max Montoya to Steinbach to Zeitler with many others he refused to pay. ......Watching the Bengals against Jacksonville is WHY ?.....There is not one play you can call that can work. There is not a coach in the NFL that could win with this team. There is not a quarterback in the NFL that could win with this team. There are no plays you can call that can work. Jacksonville Defense was dancing and celebrating after every play. THERE WAS NO BLOCKING. No matter what play was called, THERE WAS NO BLOCKING. There are no plays to call to make up for no blocking because those plays won't have blocking.

For the most part the Bengals 2017 came to an end in Jacksonville. You know it's the end when the Bengals are punting the entire 4th quarter not even trying to win. They are punting because they know they can't block. No matter what they call, they can't block. Since they can't block, they would just as soon punt and not get Dalton killed even more. So as the Bengals punted out the game, they punted out the season. This is not a play-off team and they know it. They still have 8 games to play. Most of these games will not be pretty. They might win ugly one or two games, but don't expect much.

Mike Brown let a lot of players leave since our last play-off game and the season we started 8-0. He has let too many players leave. There is NO FIX for the NO BLOCKING in 2017. Mike Brown went cheap on blocking yet again, and there is no blocking. The team is 3-5 and a 3-13 finish would not surprise me. There are no plays that can work with no blocking. Jacksonville is the worst run defense in the NFL and we can't even run on them. We can't run block, we can't pass block, so we can't win.

People complaining about coaches and players DON'T GET IT.....This team has not won a play-off game since Paul Brown died. This team will NEVER win a play-off game until there are HUGE MAJOR CHANGES to Bengals Ownership, Front Office, and those who act as GM since team doesn't have one. If you want to BLOW SOMETHING UP, you have to start at THE TOP and work down. The Bengals disaster of the last 27 years starts with Mike Brown. No matter who the coach or quarterback is, this team can't win as long as Mike Brown and Family continue on in the same way every year, every decade. When you talk about who needs to go, you aren't being honest if you don't say Mike Brown. THE PERSON THAT NEEDS TO GO THE MOST...IS MIKE BROWN....AS LONG AS MIKE BROWN RUNS THINGS, WE ARE DOOMED AS WE HAVE BEEN FOR 27 YEARS. No coach or quarterback will be able to win under Mike Brown.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
BEAT THAT DEAD HORSE, kevin!
Dead Horse
IT NEEDS TO BE BEATEN UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES!  Wink

*Hell, I'll stand there and BEAT THE DEAD HORSE right along side you!
Reply/Quote
Bang Head Exactly!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 01:37 PM)Tomkat Wrote: BEAT THAT DEAD HORSE, kevin!
Dead Horse
IT NEEDS TO BE BEATEN UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES!  Wink

*Hell, I'll stand there and BEAT THE DEAD HORSE right along side you!

Thanks, because I think all the changing coaches and changing players threads is the beating of a dead horse.  As long as Mike Brown is here, there will be no real change.  Continuing to think things will improve under Mike Brown is the dead horse.   27 years of Mike Brown futility in one dead horse that will never reach the winners circle.  They finally had a Pope retire and he was doing better than Mike ever did. If a Pope can retire, Mike Brown should retire. That still won't be enough. His kids need to let football people come in and turn this mess round. The Rooney Family in Pittsburg win because they had enough sense to let football people in front office and get them to the top. Baltimore had the old Browns Tight End in front office and got Super Bowls. Bengals Front Office is too many lawyers and no football people. ...Hey Mike, the Pope retired, so should you.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Wasn't the first player his dad drafted for the Bengals a center? You would think if that's the case if his dad saw the importance of the interior OL that he would have gotten the hint at some point.
Reply/Quote
It doesn't make sense to pay OL big money in free agency unless it is an emergency, but if the Bengals draft some decent lineman and then retain then in their second contracts- that would be good for the team. The running game would open up and take some of the pressure off Red Ryder.
Reply/Quote
To OP

:andy: :andy: :andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With all of the changes in the NFL and the use of the shotgun, I would contend that OG and C are nearly as important if not more important the tackle spots. QBs hate having pressure up the middle and that's where the Bengals are the weakest.

I also think that the OG and C spots are the most important spots when it comes to running the ball. It's always been the tackle spots that have carried the most weight when it comes to money, but looking at this year's team, its very simple to see that being weak up the middle will get you nowhere.

Now, I don't care if they won't spend $10million plus on an OG, but they sure as hell better spend the draft picks on them to get premier talent at a cheap price. It's the only way the Bengals with Mike Brown are capable of fixing the interior,
Reply/Quote
How could anyone know letting the two best O lineman leave via free agency and drafting two offensive skill players during the first two rounds wouldn't work out? I mean how could other teams stop all the Bengals' offensive weapons?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 03:22 PM)kevin Wrote: They finally had a Pope retire and he was doing better than Mike ever did. If a Pope can retire, Mike Brown should retire. That still won't be enough. His kids need to let football people come in and turn this mess round. The Rooney Family in Pittsburg win because they had enough sense to let football people in front office and get them to the top. Baltimore had the old Browns Tight End in front office and got Super Bowls. Bengals Front Office is too many lawyers and no football people. ...Hey Mike, the Pope retired, so should you.

Here’s the difference between Mike Brown and the pope: The pope pays his guards.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 05:28 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Wasn't the first player his dad drafted for the Bengals a center? You would think if that's the case if his dad saw the importance of the interior OL that he would have gotten the hint at some point.

Mike doesn't do what his father did.

In all indications he doesn't want to approach anything like Paul.

His Dad changed his mind about signing players with issues during his career.

It was written that they often disagreed about these type players.

Mike is like a damn magnet to them.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 07:11 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mike doesn't do what his father did.

In all indications he doesn't want to approach anything like Paul.

His Dad changed his mind about signing players with issues during his career.

It was written that they often disagreed about these type players.

Mike is like a damn magnet to them.

Basically speaking they're cheap options.
Reply/Quote
Out best offense ever in 2005 had a pro bowl Center, pro bowl LG, and a pro Bowl RG. You would think you would want to copy that formula until it didn't work but nah we let our interior line man "graduate" according to Hobbs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We have what 10 picks next year? Think if we took 10 linemen we could hit on 4 of them?
Reply/Quote
Last year the Falcons signed Alex Mack. that played for the Browns. He completely changed their offensive line mentality around, and was one of the reasons they made it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Either the Bengals have had terrible judgment in handling the o-line lately, or the front office could care less about wanting a team that can win in the playoffs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Bobbie Williams, Clint Boling, Kyle Cook, Rich Braham...All those guys got paid...

Let's look at all the guards and centers they didn't resign....

Eric Steinbach Nate Livings Evan Mathis Eric Ghiaciuc and Kevin Zeilter.

So overall it looks like they sign their centers. As for guards the Browns over paid for Steinbach and Zeitler.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 05:38 PM)nickndfl Wrote: It doesn't make sense to pay OL big money in free agency unless it is an emergency, but if the Bengals draft some decent lineman and then retain then in their second contracts- that would be good for the team. The running game would open up and take some of the pressure off Red Ryder.

Free agency really isn't as outrageous as some claim. If you look up some of the contracts signed by linemen last year, very few were outrageous. Most got paid what their market value says they're worth, and some very decent (which would be a massive upgrade for us) linemen were signed for relative bargains.

Rebuilding the line completely through FA would be foolish, but attempting to build it exclusively through the draft would be equally foolish, if not more so.

Linemen sometimes need a season to develop. Frankly, we don't have time for that shit. It needs fixed asap. So they need to be active in FA to at least fill one of the FOUR problem spots. 

There's no way we're getting four good linemen via the draft. We'll be lucky to get one or two.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Let it all out bro

We’ve all talked about how dumb the mindset of not paying lineman is
Reply/Quote
I remembered I posted this Blues Brothers song after Mike let Whitworth and Zeitler leave.

She Caught The Katie

Mikes got his Katie, he left us a mule to ride
Mikes got his Katie, he left us a mule to ride
Yeah, Mikes got his Katie
Left us a mule to ride
The seasons train is pulling out
Leaving us way behind.
But just crazy about
That hard headed owner
That hard headed owner of mine.

Oh, some have rationalized not paying Whitworth or Zietler or free agent guards or centers out of emergency needs. Others have predicted we can get a good O Line in the 2018 draft......So we rationalize and we predict and we make excuses and we hope. .....but the truth is Mike Brown got rid of Max Montoya almost 27 years ago and in the media said, " Why should I pay a guard ".....He did this about a decade later with Steinbach. He did it this year and again said to the media, " Why should I pay a guard ".....and there have been many more O Linemen Mike Brown has refused to pay besides Montoya, Steinbach and Zietler. I'll add this, lets say we draft a new good O Line. We get drop dead lucky and we draft a good O Line. OK, how long before Mike gets rid of them and says again, " Why should I pay a guard or a center "..........So we can all rationalize......we can all hope....but lets save FAITH in the hard to believe for God, not Mike Brown.....Look, in Mike Browns 27 years we have often had no blocking and been The BUNGLES. We have often had no blocking because Mike Brown said in the media, " Why should I pay blockers ". He says this. He has said this for 27 years. WHY do you think his attitude will change in year 28 or year 29. ...I can no longer rationalize or hope when it comes to Mike Brown and Family.

Look, in 1980's we went to 2 Super Bowls thanks to great O Line. Then Paul Brown died. Mike Brown refuses to pay O Line and the result is his amazing 27 years with no play-off wins, unheard of in the NFL. There is no rationalization of it. There is no hope that Mike Brown will ever change. He is NOT going to pay for an O Line, so we are NOT going to win play-off game. Not as long as Mike Brown and Family run things. I'll say this about the Super Bowl winning Steelers and Ravens. Very often I see their draft picks, free agents or players they resign, and I find myself wishing Mike Brown was that smart. He isn't, they win, we don't, that simple.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 07:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here’s the difference between Mike Brown and the pope:  The pope pays his guards.
LOL ...a real LOL....That was a good one. I like that. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote