Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Why Trae Waynes will be back with the bengals next year.
(03-15-2022, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread or derailing another thread where the topic gained a little steam.

We know Waynes has been hurt the last couple years but it wasn't too long ago dude was one of the top CBs in the NFL.

Folks point to him not getting time last year when he came off IR, but do we know he was 100% healthy

The biggest reason to cut TW is to safe Cap Space. By cutting him we save $10 Mil in cap, but we have to replace him as Jalen Davis would currently be our other starting boundary CB.

A bargain rate starting caliber CB is going to cost $4-5 MIL. So we save Max $6 MIL in space. We could save that by extending him one year and turning it into signing bonus.

IF Zac planned to cut TW seems he would have done it by now unless he wants to not do TW any favors.

I wouldn’t read too much into him still being hereditary. The Bengals don’t usually cut guys until they need the cap, they don’t actually need the cap yet. The other option is they may be reworking his deal to simply lower the number. I still don’t expect him in the team next season at that number.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He played 100% of the defensive snaps in Week 18, a game of almost exclusively backups for the Bengals. He then played 0 defensive snaps in the playoffs, but still took snaps on special teams.

Go to bed Bfine, you're drunk.

None of that proves he was 100%. It proves he was good enough to fill in while our starters took a rest and had enough to assist on ST.

What is your "sober" answer. He forgot how to be a CB?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: I wouldn’t read too much into him still being hereditary. The Bengals don’t usually cut guys until they need the cap, they don’t actually need the cap yet. The other option is they may be reworking his deal to simply lower the number. I still don’t expect him in the team next season at that number.

Yeah, a rework is what I'm thinking. Extend him one year and pay cash in a signing bonus. I don't think I'd want him around on the current deal, but you'd have to gaurentee me Mikey would use the savings elsewhere.

It'd make more sense to cut Hopkins. You save $6Mil and you've already paid out for a replacement and have a young 2nd Rd draft pick

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, a rework is what I'm thinking. Extend him one year and pay cash in a signing bonus. I don't think I'd want him around on the current deal, but you'd have to gaurentee me Mikey would use the savings elsewhere.

It'd make more sense to cut Hopkins. You save $6Mil and you've already paid out for a replacement and have a young 2nd Rd draft pick

There are guys in FA right now who are better options than Waynes for less than his current deal. The one advantage however is that Waynes isn’t owed any cash now which could be part of why they haven’t cut him yet in that they have a set amount for signing bonus and they are waiting to see what will be left.

Honestly, I think it’s less likely they cut Hopkins at this point than Waynes and here’s why. Hopkins at Center and Karras at LG is an option, as is Karras at Center and a awesome falling guard at LG, and so is a rookie at Center and Karass at LG. My point is Hopkins gives them flexibility to literally take the best option on the interior and even no option if the right player somewhere else becomes available. The only way I think Hopkins goes is to get a RT that they can get at a good deal, which could happen as the tackle market hasn’t moved yet.
Reply/Quote
I myself hope they keep him, so that means he’s probably as good as gone.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 10:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Your dad joke notwithstanding, I don't see any way they don't get out from under his contract.  I believe there is an out after this year. 

They can use that money elsewhere.  

What if he injures himself while they're telling him he's cut?
Reply/Quote
Chido is undoubtedly CB#1 going forward. It would be insane to pay Waynes almost $16 million to play CB2. If he’ll restructure to a more appropriate deal ok, but if not he has to go.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chido is undoubtedly CB#1 going forward. It would be insane to pay Waynes almost $16 million to play CB2. If he’ll restructure to a more appropriate deal ok, but if not he has to go.

He'd have to pay the Bengals in order for it to be worth keeping him the way his career had went here.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He'd have to pay the Bengals in order for it to be worth keeping him the way his career had went here.

Yep. Probably the biggest heist in Cincinnati history. They should make a movie about it.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Probably the biggest heist in Cincinnati history. They should make a movie about it.

It's up there with Barry Foster and Antonio Bryant.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He'd have to pay the Bengals in order for it to be worth keeping him the way his career had went here.

You can't get caught up on what we've paid. We're not getting it back. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You can't get caught up on what we've paid. We're not getting it back. 

No, but it would be unwise to not take his injury history into account going forward.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's up there with Barry Foster and Antonio Bryant.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Lufthansa heist, but whatever the Cincinnati equivalent is lol.

Reply/Quote
After he sat on the bench here and got a ton of cash for hardly any playtime. I would cut him when it would be hardest on him to get a decent contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, but it would be unwise to not take his injury history into account going forward.

I agree and he missed 4 games in 5 years before coming here. He's had a bad run the last couple years, but he's not a player that has been injured on and off throughout his career.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree and he missed 4 games in 5 years before coming here. He's had a bad run the last couple years, but he's not a player that has been injured on and off throughout his career.

It happens. Injuries can be random.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:02 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Weak analogy.That comment has nothing to do with whether it is prudent or not to bring him back as there is also common sense involved and just how the team can be improved in other ways that are needed by saving another 10 mm or so.

So I visit The Chive on occasion and they have these posts every once in while in their humor section where they show reacting seriously to what was obviously and clearly a joke.  I always thought they were fake.  Thank you for ruining my faith in humanity.

p.s. I'll be submitting this one to The Chive.  Thanks!
Reply/Quote
I'd be excited if they landed Tretter and shifted Karras to LG. Not sure what a contact looks like for Tretter but as everybody knows, they can offset or absorb $6M of of a new players contract by moving on from Hopkins. And have to think they still have some decent room to spend (contracts given out so far haven't had a huge impact on the upcoming season's salary cap).

Happy with the moves made so far but sure am hoping for more soon (CB, RT, C/LG and then a TE).
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chido is undoubtedly CB#1 going forward. It would be insane to pay Waynes almost $16 million to play CB2. If he’ll restructure to a more appropriate deal ok, but if not he has to go.

They already padi him 5+ million of the 16 million cap hit for 2022. So, in reality they will either pay him 10+ million in 2022 or they will cut or trade him and save 10 million.

If we cut or trade him, we eat the dead cap
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Word on the street is Waynes is getting cut today.
Reply/Quote