Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why WOULDN'T You Get A Coronavirus Vaccine?!
Alright, so we're in this huge pandemic, probably the biggest any of us will ever see, and the only way to fix stop it would be a somewhat-effective vaccine.

However, I'm seeing websites saying that only 5 in 10 or 6 in 10 people will get the vaccine.

Why?!

This virus has rocked the globe, caused the shutdown of our entire world, and is very contagious and very dangerous, so why wouldn't people want protection from that?

More than that, why wouldn't they want to keep the people around them protected by making sure they don't get the virus?

I understand being nervous at first, but these things have to go through so much testing and so many stages that it's not going to cause any serious damaging side effects, if any.

Can someone explain that for me and our other members that have also been declared brain dead?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 11:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Alright, so we're in this huge pandemic, probably the biggest any of us will ever see, and the only way to fix stop it would be a somewhat-effective vaccine.  

However, I'm seeing websites saying that only 5 in 10 or 6 in 10 people will get the vaccine.

Why?!

This virus has rocked the globe, caused the shutdown of our entire world, and is very contagious and very dangerous, so why wouldn't people want protection from that?

More than that, why wouldn't they want to keep the people around them protected by making sure they don't get the virus?

I understand being nervous at first, but these things have to go through so much testing and so many stages that it's not going to cause any serious damaging side effects, if any.

Can someone explain that for me and our other members that have also been declared brain dead?
I don't take flu shots.
I'm not high risk at this point. 
I happen to believe, strongly, in letting my body handle things first, with medication/ surgery only as a last resort or obviously in the case of an emergency.

Not to mention that the fact that this is being rushed along means it may not be as safe as you think.

I also have family members who have had life threatening reactions to other vaccinations, and although I am not a blood relation, I see that vaccines are not necessarily risk free.

That's all my dead ass brain can come up with at the moment. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I believe the main concern is how quickly the vaccine has been created. Look back at Polio vaccine. There were some early cases that led to disability and death I believe because they didn’t take the time to properly test it.

I’m not sure where I land on the issue.
Reply/Quote
I will probably take it in 3-4 yrs once I'm certain all the other people are safe and have not had reactions. Maybe not even that early. Sometimes it can take years to identify reactions to something like that.

Reply/Quote
Even if just the high risk people take the vaccine it will have a huge effect on the impact of the disease.

And right now there is still a lot of stuff we don't know. We don't even know if everyone who has already been infected has immunity.

But we are learning more and more every day. By the time we have a vaccine ready for the public we will have a lot more knowledge. Hopefully that will help.
Reply/Quote
I'd wager that it's less associated with anti-vaxxing and more just people being wary of such a new vaccine that has been pushed through abnormally quickly.

I personally will wait to see what the situation is like when the vaccine is made available. I live in a pretty sparsely populated area, and I'm fine with just doing the mask wearing and social distancing, so waiting to make sure the vaccine is truly safe is a good enough option for me. Now if work makes me go back into the thick of things rather than working from home/remote work from a single courthouse? That might push me towards getting the vaccine.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone even knows if a vaccine will actually stop it. If people can be infected more than once by the virus, and if it doesn't necessarily create antibodies in all of those who have it, or the antibodies go away after some period of time (all three are things I've read, but who knows what to believe about it anyway...), it seems a vaccine isn't really an end-all means to stop or control the virus.

Personally, I'm wary of any vaccine pushed through testing so remarkably fast and in an industry with so much money moving through it, it makes me even more nervous.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 11:28 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I believe the main concern is how quickly the vaccine has been created. Look back at Polio vaccine. There were some early cases that led to disability and death I believe because they didn’t take the time to properly test it.

This, all the way ^^^
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 11:28 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I believe the main concern is how quickly the vaccine has been created. Look back at Polio vaccine. There were some early cases that led to disability and death I believe because they didn’t take the time to properly test it.

But technology has advanced so much and medicine has advanced so much that it's a different time.  

I agree that it might be better to wait a bit, but they're also not going to release something that's potentially dangerous because the ramifications would be huge.

I also understand about not being able to identify long-term problems, but it just seems like they'd at least try and thoroughly look into all the possibilities. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:04 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: But technology has advanced so much and medicine has advanced so much that it's a different time.  

I agree that it might be better to wait a bit, but they're also not going to release something that's potentially dangerous because the ramifications would be huge.

I also understand about not being able to identify long-term problems, but it just seems like they'd at least try and thoroughly look into all the possibilities. 
That's one of the biggest reasons why vaccines take YEARS and not MONTHS. We just don't know until we know. And we won't know until later on down the road. People have every right to question this vaccine. I'm not anti-vaccine whatsoever. I'm just using my dead brain to think thoroughly through the ramifications of a rushed, pre-election vaccination. There is a lot of potential for side effects.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:48 AM)Takedown Wrote: That's one of the biggest reasons why vaccines take YEARS and not MONTHS. We just don't know until we know. And we won't know until later on down the road. People have every right to question this vaccine. I'm not anti-vaccine whatsoever. I'm just using my dead brain to think thoroughly through the ramifications of a rushed, pre-election vaccination. There is a lot of potential for side effects.

Interesting you say pre-election? 

I seen (in passing) on tv this morning while in the store to get my morning sandwich that there is possibly a vaccine in the near future where it's not injected. So I'm thinking, probably nasal, but they reported it would be in the form of a patch? Very interesting.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Interesting you say pre-election? 

I seen (in passing) on tv this morning while in the store to get my morning sandwich that there is possibly a vaccine in the near future where it's not injected. So I'm thinking, probably nasal, but they reported it would be in the form of a patch? Very interesting.

I call it how I see it. I'm not trying to get political here, but I would never take a new vaccination pre-election lol.

The main point I'm trying to make is, I personally wouldn't take it this early on. I'm not calling anyone who is scared of covid-19 "brain dead" if they do take the vaccination this early. I get it... I think everyone should just weigh the ramifications of taking it and not taking it. Do you believe this vaccine will be good to go if it comes out anytime this year? Or even next year?

A lot of people are hurting financially, the economy is poop as well right now. Of course the vaccine is being rushed. "Here's the vaccine guys now go back to work".

EDIT: To respond to the last part of your reply, I haven't seen that. Weird. Very weird.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
[Image: Contrail.fourengined.arp.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:04 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: But technology has advanced so much and medicine has advanced so much that it's a different time.  

Are you new here? Do you know how many drug lawsuits there are out there because of adverse events or drugs not working as they were intended? 

Dude, don't be so naive. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'll take it. I'm not particularily worried about Covid, but if it helps us get back to normal I'm all for it. Can something worse than Covid happen from a Covid vaccine?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'd definitely get it. I have asthma and a young son, so anything to mitigate risk is a good idea to me. I usually get the flu vaccine as well. At the end of the day it always comes down to the fact that I need to work and I don't like spending my paid time off being sick, lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'll take it. I'm not particularily worried about Covid, but if it helps us get back to normal I'm all for it. Can something worse than Covid happen from a Covid vaccine?

If untested and not ready to go, yes, long-term effects and the like.

I will take it day one, once it has been proven safe and clinically tested... which may be months more away.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 04:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If untested and not ready to go, yes, long-term effects and the like.

I will take it day one, once it has been proven safe and clinically tested... which may be months more away.

OK so what in a vaccine can hurt me besides the virus.  I know people can be allergic to different components of a vaccine, but outside of that what are the things that can get me?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 09:34 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK so what in a vaccine can hurt me besides the virus.  I know people can be allergic to different components of a vaccine, but outside of that what are the things that can get me?

The human body is capable of reacting in any way, to anything and there a myriad of factors (namely genes, but also environment and body maintenance) that can cause an effect or anything.

Therefore, it isn't just allergies or something of that nature; your family may just be susceptible to a specific chemical compound (adjuvants, as different vaccines have different adjuvants) in the vaccine that could awaken the cancer cells in your throat and bang, you have throat cancer as a result.

It's a longshot, of course, but these are the things you hear about.

This is why these trials require a shit-ton of people, from all walks of life and health history, to ensure that nobody can have any long-term or acute effects from the vaccine.

Little story for you:

I never have touched a cigarette in my life, drank alcohol 2 days in my life and at 21, I got skin cancer on my tongue, a cancer generally found in males 49 years of age or older, with a history of heavy smoking and/or drinking; if they have cancer in the family, all that more susceptible (my grandmother and great-aunt {her sister} had breast cancer in the 70s'/80s, but nobody on either side has ever had cancer).

What caused it? How can a perfectly healthy, young male, whose only medical issue was being slightly overweight (Now I'm a bit more than slightly lol, but at the time, I was the lightest I had been since I was 11 years old), get cancer?

Genes wasn't it, environment wasn't it and I've eaten very healthily my whole life, so truly, lifestyle wasn't it either; random shit like this happens with vaccines and other stuff that isn't tested fully, to people whose bodies are more susceptible to the chemicals/whatever in said vaccines.

I could've gotten it from mouthwash and chewing a ton of aspartame-y gun (which doesn't cause malignancy, but it doesn't help either), but that just means that my body reacts differently to things than yours does

Vaccines are one of the greatest things that man has discovered/made/etc., but if used improperly or not tested enough, they have the potential to do harm as well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'll take it.  I'm not particularily worried about Covid, but if it helps us get back to normal I'm all for it.  Can something worse than Covid happen from a Covid vaccine?

How many commercials have you seen in your life for legal services recruiting people for their class action suit against a product that has been on the market for quite some time?  Lots of horrible things have happened to people because of things which were not understood or not revealed about products that have been around and thoroughly tested.  Now, consider that this isn't receiving the full gamut of testing....
Reply/Quote