Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why a change of gameplan is necessary against the Steelers
(12-01-2017, 01:52 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Bend don’t break mentality. Never been a fan of it. Paulie loves it, and it works on bad teams. It doesn’t work on Patriots or Steelers, simply for the fact they will take what you give them. Unfortunately, don’t expect a change of gameplay, ie blitzing.

We have one of the best pressuring units in Football, and that’s with one of the lowest rated blitzes per down. Nothing will change against Pittsburgh. Period

One of the keys is that style is predicated on winning time of possession and regularly finding the end zone on offense.  You're banking on the opponent wasting time getting down field with only 3 to show at best for their efforts with the clock working against them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 12:08 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I completely agree, but he's gonna have to change for this game,an aggressive gameplan would totally catch the Steelers off guard.I truly don't think the status quo will get it done in this game we need to attack 

I absolutely agree. But this is Marvin "adjustments are journalist jargon" Lewis. All he knows is the status quo. You beat his gameplan, you beat him. It's that simple. He never changes a thing. Look for more conservative, weak football that we always see against Pittsburgh. 

The Marvin Lewis era cannot end soon enough. 5 games left and counting... Hopefully. 
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 02:50 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I've watched the past 4 Bengals vs Steelers showdowns and the only game  they had success in was the game in Pittsburgh 2015.We sent the blitz frequently in this game we also played a ton of two man under, which is a great coverage for explosive teams such as Pittsburgh..

In the other games the defense stayed basic, we stayed with the 4 man rush producing almost no pressure, we employed alot of zone concepts getting absolutely killed in the middle of the field, and on third downs they owned us time after time looking two steps ahead and far superior to the Bengals, in my opinion it starts with Paulie it's time for another gameplan...

Marvin Lewis does not have the ability to change anything. How many times has his teams dominated in the first half of a game but ended up being out coached and losing in the second half?

The answer:

A crapload of times. Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 12:19 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: One of the keys is that style is predicated on winning time of possession and regularly finding the end zone on offense.  You're banking on the opponent wasting time getting down field with only 3 to show at best for their efforts with the clock working against them.

Yep... Which is exactly why I hate it.

The goal should be to get a three-and-out or a turnover on every defensive possession. Why any coach, especially at the professional level, would preach anything besides that blows my mind. Establishing what is essentially a prevent defense as the base of your defensive philosophy is beyond asinine. 

Paul "Chuck Bresnahan 2.0" Guenther can GTFO of here as well
Reply/Quote
I really can't believe you all have no faith in Marv's half time adjustments when just last week he replaced the enter sign on one door and replaced it with an exit sign at half time. 
Ok, I'm exaggerating. He didn't really go that far. He merely said, 'Hey, don't use that door! ' 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 01:10 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep... Which is exactly why I hate it.

The goal should be to get a three-and-out or a turnover on every defensive possession. Why any coach, especially at the professional level, would preach anything besides that blows my mind. Establishing what is essentially a prevent defense as the base of your defensive philosophy is beyond asinine. 

Paul "Chuck Bresnahan 2.0" Guenther can GTFO of here as well

It's not even close to a prevent defense, and lets not even pretend that it is.  We've seen it be an incredibly effective scheme for us for many years.  But the offense was able to move the ball and score during that time.  Now that the offense is the weakest link, things don't look so rosey with it.  Fix the oline and you fix the offense.  Fix the offense and this defensive scheme looks brilliant.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 01:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Merv: "What's a gameplan?"

Journalistic jargon. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote