Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why am I so damn optimistic?
I could have said "Bullish", I guess.

Here's why:

Heading in to 2020, with COVID protocols, no preseason, and a rookie QB (that we were all very excited about), here were the people that we were relying on to help lead the team:

AJ Green was finally going to be 100% healthy.  It was widely rumored that he could have played the end of 2019, and instead of risking an injury on worthless games, he was held out to be completely healed for the 2020 season.  He was in what was essentially a contract year, getting a one-year prove-it franchise tag and a salary of $18 million.  We figured he would be out to show the world what he can still be capable of.  We also thought with Burrow that he might be even better.  Andy Dalton might have been holding him back.  

There was hope that the light might finally go on for John Ross.  

Geno Atkins was declining but now we have DJ Reader to free him up to rush the passer. This would be the best pairing the Bengals have fielded in ages.

Carlos Dunlap was still a big pass rushing threat, and he finished 2019 very strong.

The Bengals moved on from the enigmatic Dre Kirkpatrick to sign a CB to a high-dollar contract.  Trae Waynes was also thought to be a massive upgrade in tackling.  

The offensive line would be better with the free agent XSF to help shore up the interior of the offensive line.  Mike Jordan would be better in his second year in the system.  

Joe Mixon got paid.  Now, he will get played.  More involved in the passing game.  Fewer depressed sideline jogs on third down.  

Joe Burrow is coming to the Bengals fresh off the greatest single season in NCAA history.  

Of what was just listed as 2020 breakout/standout hopefuls (AJ Green, Geno, Dunlap, Waynes, and Mixon most specifically) that represented the greatest allocation of your monies as well.  And we all know how essentially every single one of them performed in 2020.

Fast forward to 2021:

Your shiny new toy at WR is coming off (with a year off) his record-setting performance in the SEC, at just 19 years of age.  Chase has had some drops, but Tee Higgins had 9 drops in 2020 and was a huge addition to the WR corps.  Chase offers a dimension that we have not had here for some time.  He will be used in screens, and sweeps, as well as threatening deep.  He represents a huge upgrade at the position and joins an already-solid WR corps. 

The offensive line has added veteran Riley Reiff to shore up the other tackle position.  Talented rookies in Smith and Carman will push for playing time at Guard position if either XSF or Spain don't perform.  Fred Johnson and Isian Prince played well in preseason and are quality backups.

The defensive line has been bolstered by adding Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hill, Sample, and Hodge.

The secondary added Owuzie, who appeared to be the best defensive player not named Bates in camp.  They also added Mike Hilton, weakening a division foe as well as bolstering the slot CB position not to mention his blitz abilities.  Perhaps most importantly for the secondary is the added depth that is already being tested with Apple and Allen.  If former starter Darius Phillips is now your #5 corner, that is quite an upgrade in depth.

The following players are still in their prime and will be returning following injuries that forced them to miss significant time in 2020:  

CJ Uzomah
Joe Mixon
XSF
Jonah Williams
Trey Hopkins
DJ Reader
Sam Hubbard
Trae Waynes (fingers crossed)
Josh Tupou (opt out)

There is not ONE of those additions or those returning from injury that anyone would describe as "old" or ready for a massive drop off like we saw in Dunlap and Green (and Geno, but I think his was largely due to injury).  The biggest turd in the punch bowl (Jim Turner) is gone, replaced by a guy that everyone seems to respect and appreciate.  

The biggest issues last season where depth was sorely lacking (DT, CB, Offensive line) has been MASSIVELY improved.

Oh, and just one other thing.....

One small detail...

Joe Burrow is back in his second season as QB.  The man who was showing us what he could do with an average at best offensive line and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd as his top weapons.  200 yards passing at the half against a WFT that gave up an average of 200 yards passing PER GAME.  He may not have quite the mobility he had last year.  That's fine, although I wouldn't count him out of being mobile just yet.  He has worked on his core, to improve his velocity.  He has worked extra all offseason to perfect the one thing really missing from last year:  The deep ball.  Covid restrictions have lessened and he has been able to work extra with his receivers and coaches.  He will have a healthy Mixon, a better line, more weapons available at both WR and TE and a second year in the system.   What are his goal for the season?  Well, two of them are to win the AFC North and to make the playoffs.  People doubted him when he said his goal was to win a National Championship at LSU.  He won.  He's back, friends, and he is ready to make some noise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thank you. There's been way too much pessimism here lately. Yes, the team has sucked. Yes, Zac may not be the coach we need. But that doesn't mean we can't at least try to look at the positive things they have done and maybe lighten up a little.
Reply/Quote
I am very optimistic that we will have better players on the field this year. I 100% believe we have improved our talent and a "regression to the mean" will mean fewer injuries.

But I still don't trust our coaching and I am afriad that is what will hold us back.
Reply/Quote
And don't forget Jalen Davis. Heck, the whole cornerback room can play this year.... no more LaShaun Sims out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 09:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am very optimistic that we will have better players on the field this year.  I 100% believe we have improved our talent and a "regression to the mean" will mean fewer injuries.

But I still don't trust our coaching and I am afriad that is what will hold us back.

It may just be his blind allegiance, but Burrow seems to like ZT and supports him.  Ditto the young guys on defense as it relates to Lou.  And we have had one of the best ST units in the NFL for many years thanks to the coaching of Darrin Simmons.  

They have their guys now.  They are (largely) healthy.  It is time to show what they are capable of.   
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And don't forget Jalen Davis. Heck, the whole cornerback room can play this year.... no more LaShaun Sims out there.

Excellent point.  
Reply/Quote
Ya I feel like at the beginning of last year it was “let’s see how this rookie plays.”

This year it’s “let’s win some games and make the playoffs.”

There’s just a greater expectation behind this team than in the last few years and I’m really really hoping stars align and we have a winning season.

Only real concerns for me are coaching and the Oline depth. Outside of that I believe we have a very good football team this year.
Reply/Quote
I have my fears and insecurities about ZT and his
Ability to lead this team to better pastures.
The talent is there to go to.the playoffs
But can ZT actually outcoach the other guy for
60 mins....?
Not 56...not 57...but for 60.?
He cant even secure half time leads.
That tells me he cant adjust to adjustments
This team go as far as the coaching takes themt
Reply/Quote
I think biggest improvement will be on defense. I think Lou has his players for most part. Losing Ossai hurts. Hopefully Hodge is a blessing. I think Burrow will be on a mission and be his old self by game 4.

This is ZT last year if they do not put a winner on the field. No more excuses or moral victories.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It's shades of 2005. We had a franchise QB and weapons around him to score with anyone. The only difference is the o-line was years better back then.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 12:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think biggest improvement will be on defense.  I think Lou has his players for most part.  Losing Ossai hurts.  Hopefully Hodge is a blessing.  I think Burrow will be on a mission and be his old self by game 4.  

This is ZT last year if they do not put a winner on the field.  No more excuses or moral victories.

Dead on.  They know it is about wins.  He said as much in his plea to get fans in the stands.  

I hope Joe is up to speed faster than week 4 as the first 4 weeks of the schedule are all very winnable games.  It would be INCREDIBLE to be 3-0 heading in to that lone Primetime game against the Jags, coming off beating pitt in their stadium.  It would be very nice to see pitt implode and their team turn on the fat turd QB.  
Reply/Quote
You are pumped because we get a fresh start every season from the beginning 0-0. That's the beauty of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 01:00 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: You are pumped because we get a fresh start every season from the beginning 0-0. That's the beauty of it.

Even the most optimistic Bengals fans have had trouble having optimism the last few years.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I could have said "Bullish", I guess.

Hey buddy if there ever is a time to be optimistic it's before game 1 of the season. Let's hope the fans have an enjoyable year watching our team winThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:32 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hey buddy if there ever is a time to be optimistic it's before game 1 of the season. Let's hope the fans have an enjoyable year watching our team winThumbsUp

My point is that I am more excited than before any season short of 2005.  Every opening day is exciting but this one is at a new level to me.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My point is that I am more excited than before any season short of 2005.  Every opening day is exciting but this one is at a new level to me.  

I see this as a 6-10 team this year give or take a game. So I'm excited to watch the team and hope for the best, but I didnt think they did enough this offseason to really make a huge leap with the schedule they have. 

But I like your optimism!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My point is that I am more excited than before any season short of 2005.  Every opening day is exciting but this one is at a new level to me.  

we have lots of potential talent....  But it will take a few years to mature
Reply/Quote
Drugs?

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I could have said "Bullish", I guess.

Here's why:

Heading in to 2020, with COVID protocols, no preseason, and a rookie QB (that we were all very excited about), here were the people that we were relying on to help lead the team:

AJ Green was finally going to be 100% healthy.  It was widely rumored that he could have played the end of 2019, and instead of risking an injury on worthless games, he was held out to be completely healed for the 2020 season.  He was in what was essentially a contract year, getting a one-year prove-it franchise tag and a salary of $18 million.  We figured he would be out to show the world what he can still be capable of.  We also thought with Burrow that he might be even better.  Andy Dalton might have been holding him back.  

There was hope that the light might finally go on for John Ross.  

Geno Atkins was declining but now we have DJ Reader to free him up to rush the passer. This would be the best pairing the Bengals have fielded in ages.

Carlos Dunlap was still a big pass rushing threat, and he finished 2019 very strong.

The Bengals moved on from the enigmatic Dre Kirkpatrick to sign a CB to a high-dollar contract.  Trae Waynes was also thought to be a massive upgrade in tackling.  

The offensive line would be better with the free agent XSF to help shore up the interior of the offensive line.  Mike Jordan would be better in his second year in the system.  

Joe Mixon got paid.  Now, he will get played.  More involved in the passing game.  Fewer depressed sideline jogs on third down.  

Joe Burrow is coming to the Bengals fresh off the greatest single season in NCAA history.  

Of what was just listed as 2020 breakout/standout hopefuls (AJ Green, Geno, Dunlap, Waynes, and Mixon most specifically) that represented the greatest allocation of your monies as well.  And we all know how essentially every single one of them performed in 2020.

Fast forward to 2021:

Your shiny new toy at WR is coming off (with a year off) his record-setting performance in the SEC, at just 19 years of age.  Chase has had some drops, but Tee Higgins had 9 drops in 2020 and was a huge addition to the WR corps.  Chase offers a dimension that we have not had here for some time.  He will be used in screens, and sweeps, as well as threatening deep.  He represents a huge upgrade at the position and joins an already-solid WR corps. 

The offensive line has added veteran Riley Reiff to shore up the other tackle position.  Talented rookies in Smith and Carman will push for playing time at Guard position if either XSF or Spain don't perform.  Fred Johnson and Isian Prince played well in preseason and are quality backups.

The defensive line has been bolstered by adding Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hill, Sample, and Hodge.

The secondary added Owuzie, who appeared to be the best defensive player not named Bates in camp.  They also added Mike Hilton, weakening a division foe as well as bolstering the slot CB position not to mention his blitz abilities.  Perhaps most importantly for the secondary is the added depth that is already being tested with Apple and Allen.  If former starter Darius Phillips is now your #5 corner, that is quite an upgrade in depth.

The following players are still in their prime and will be returning following injuries that forced them to miss significant time in 2020:  

CJ Uzomah
Joe Mixon
XSF
Jonah Williams
Trey Hopkins
DJ Reader
Sam Hubbard
Trae Waynes (fingers crossed)
Josh Tupou (opt out)

There is not ONE of those additions or those returning from injury that anyone would describe as "old" or ready for a massive drop off like we saw in Dunlap and Green (and Geno, but I think his was largely due to injury).  The biggest turd in the punch bowl (Jim Turner) is gone, replaced by a guy that everyone seems to respect and appreciate.  

The biggest issues last season where depth was sorely lacking (DT, CB, Offensive line) has been MASSIVELY improved.

Oh, and just one other thing.....

One small detail...

Joe Burrow is back in his second season as QB.  The man who was showing us what he could do with an average at best offensive line and Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd as his top weapons.  200 yards passing at the half against a WFT that gave up an average of 200 yards passing PER GAME.  He may not have quite the mobility he had last year.  That's fine, although I wouldn't count him out of being mobile just yet.  He has worked on his core, to improve his velocity.  He has worked extra all offseason to perfect the one thing really missing from last year:  The deep ball.  Covid restrictions have lessened and he has been able to work extra with his receivers and coaches.  He will have a healthy Mixon, a better line, more weapons available at both WR and TE and a second year in the system.   What are his goal for the season?  Well, two of them are to win the AFC North and to make the playoffs.  People doubted him when he said his goal was to win a National Championship at LSU.  He won.  He's back, friends, and he is ready to make some noise.

Preach brother.  Rock On

Also must add that Hobby at DL coach already has seemed to have made a big difference in a great way. There were lots of 
players getting to the QB this preseason, not just the big names in Hendrickson and Hubbard. Was very refreshing compared 
to last year when only Lawson could sniff the QB and he only had 5.5 sacks on the year. Hodge looks like a stud and Wyatt 
Ray played just as good as Ossai in his first preseason game against the Falcons. Had 2 sacks and multiple pressures.

Cam Sample also already looks like the real deal and looks like a bigger Lawson who can also play on the inside.

I am also excited to see our young LB's in Wilson, ADG and Bailey grow. Our secondary is very underrated IMO.

Just went D in my post as you see, I think you nailed the O.  Cool
Reply/Quote
Not me.

Even if Burrow is a good QB who is to say that he'll be better(he needs to be)...  or better yet...  even the same post injury.

I think Chase will at least be better than Green last season.  So that's a plus.  Not panicking from pre-season.

I expect to see great production of Higgins and Boyd.

Joe Mixon and the run game...  hmmmm...  not sure but it should be better.   Doesn't mean it will be good though.

If the D line can stay healthy they should be most improved.

Same with DBs overall.

LBs...  jury is still out for them.

Kicking game, let's hope Mcwhoever is who we think he is.  Whomever that might be. Tongue

The rest of special teams is usual the only constant here for the most part.

Zac doesn't impress me, but doesn't call a bunch of dumb plays either. 

Players like him, but they'd like a winner just as well even if he was an ass.

What I really want to see is the run game get established.  Use of TEs in the offense.  Improvement of both lines all season.

If Zac can put up some wins and improve all of the above I think he should get some more time.

Now if this team looks like a patchwork quilt and doesn't uptick then they should fire him end of season.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote