Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why am I so damn optimistic?
(09-09-2021, 06:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not me.

Even if Burrow is a good QB who is to say that he'll be better(he needs to be)...  or better yet...  even the same post injury.

I think Chase will at least be better than Green last season.  So that's a plus.  Not panicking from pre-season.

I expect to see great production of Higgins and Boyd.

Joe Mixon and the run game...  hmmmm...  not sure but it should be better.   Doesn't mean it will be good though.

If the D line can stay healthy they should be most improved.

Same with DBs overall.

LBs...  jury is still out for them.

Kicking game, let's hope Mcwhoever is who we think he is.  Whomever that might be. Tongue

The rest of special teams is usual the only constant here for the most part.

Zac doesn't impress me, but doesn't call a bunch of dumb plays either. 

Players like him, but they'd like a winner just as well even if he was an ass.

What I really want to see is the run game get established.  Use of TEs in the offense.  Improvement of both lines all season.

If Zac can put up some wins and improve all of the above I think he should get some more time.

Now if this team looks like a patchwork quilt and doesn't uptick then they should fire him end of season.

Overall, it actually sounds like you are cautiously optimistic Rocker... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 06:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Overall, it actually sounds like you are cautiously optimistic Rocker... Mellow

Let's just say my confidence level is pretty low.

I'm not going to blindly trash players or parts of the team until the regular season is underway.

There are posters and fans who would gladly do that without seeing a snap.

I'm not going to be that way.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 07:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Let's just say my confidence level is pretty low.

I'm not going to blindly trash players or parts of the team until the regular season is underway.

There are posters and fans who would gladly do that without seeing a snap.

I'm not going to be that way.

Way to be. Hard to believe in Zac and company till they start winning some damn games. Hopefully it starts Sunday.

Just tend to believe with better play in the trenches it will really help the coaching as a whole.
Reply/Quote
On paper the starting lineup on both sides of the ball look very impressive.Looking forward to going to the playoffs this season.And winning our first playoff game in a long,long,time.WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My point is that I am more excited than before any season short of 2005.  Every opening day is exciting but this one is at a new level to me.  

I believe they will improve this season. I question how much they will improve ?

I feel Taylor has to win 9 games or it's time to move on. My heart wants to believe he can, my head says he/they won't.

I fear we're gonna start out slow, 1-3 maybe 2-2 so we're gonna have a hole to dig out of from the jump. If we don't come out and fall flat on our face I'll start getting a little excited myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2021, 09:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe they will improve this season. I question how much they will improve ?

I feel Taylor has to win 9 games or it's time to move on. My heart wants to believe he can, my head says he/they won't.

I fear we're gonna start out slow, 1-3 maybe 2-2 so we're gonna have a hole to dig out of from the jump. If we don't come out and fall flat on our face I'll start getting a little excited myself.

That week 1 win would be SO HUGE.  Get the momentum going before heading out on the road for two weeks.  Really hope they have a great game plan and they pound the Vikings.  
Reply/Quote
I am always optimistic prior to game 1, but just in case this year I will be close to the pool if things go bad. The great thing about Naples, Fl. is my pool is open the entire season.

So easy to jump in and cool off quickly.

On a more serious, it starts in the trenches and our DL rotation needs to stay fresh, we need to control T.O.P. Add in no turnovers. If we do both, I think we will win Sunday.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 07:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just tend to believe with better play in the trenches it will really help the coaching as a whole.

This is backed up with empirical evidence. I remember being on these boards and hearing questions like, “Why don’t the Bengals push the ball down field?” or, “Why is Dalton passing from the three yard line?”

The answer to the first question is obvious: The offensive linemen couldn’t sustain their blocks long enough for deep plays to develop. The answer to the second question is the offensive line got owned in the Red Zone.

The Bengals haven’t had a decent defensive line since Mike Zimmer was here. I always loved how he rotated players in and out of the defensive line during the entire game so in the fourth quarter they were just as fresh as they were when the game started.
Reply/Quote
I'm optimistic over all. I think they're going to be a significantly better team this year. I think game one will be huge. If they can contain Cook and pressure Cousins it may give the offense to get on track. My sense is that they will take three possessions or more to get on track. Just not enough reps of the ones in preseason. Minnesota has a great defense and a lot of weapons.

We'll see. I'm really excited!
Reply/Quote
Good post Racer! There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic, a few reasons to be cautious. I believe we are witnessing a turning of the page in Bengaldom this year!
Reply/Quote
Dak looked ok coming off injury. Hope Burrow will look similar.
Reply/Quote
Am optimistic as well even though wanted O-line with first pick.

Yet think defense is improved greatly and that Chase will be a good WR for Bengals too. With Higgins and Boyd out there it won't take long to find out because it will be hard to defend all 3.

The O line I am cautiously optimistic about an certain they will be better but not sure how much. The margin is wide on where they could land, hopefully on the topside of it but will take everything falling into place for this to happen.

Think overall the Bengals will be much improved and entertaining to watch this year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 09:58 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is backed up with empirical evidence.  I remember being on these boards and hearing questions like, “Why don’t the Bengals push the ball down field?” or, “Why is Dalton passing from the three yard line?”  

The answer to the first question is obvious: The offensive linemen couldn’t sustain their blocks long enough for deep plays to develop.  The answer to the second question is the offensive line got owned in the Red Zone.

The Bengals haven’t had a decent defensive line since Mike Zimmer was here.  I always loved how he rotated players in and out of the defensive line during the entire game so in the fourth quarter they were just as fresh as they were when the game started.

Yes sir and it played out in our opener Sunday. If we have better play in the trenches we will win a lot of games as it helps 
out the coaching. Have always said that even Bill Belichick wouldn't win near as many games with terrible play in the trenches.

It completely sabotages play calling and the coaching. Getting Pollack and Hobby while adding the players we did should do 
wonders.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir and it played out in our opener Sunday. If we have better play in the trenches we will win a lot of games as it helps 
out the coaching. Have always said that even Bill Belichick wouldn't win near as many games with terrible play in the trenches.

It completely sabotages play calling and the coaching. Getting Pollack and Hobby while adding the players we did should do 
wonders.

.....and Bill's teams almost always block well and play tough up front on D. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It is easy to say that one game is not enough to get too excited about. But many of the people who say that would screaming unending doom and gloom if we had lost.

I am not willing to anoint Zac after one game, but, damn, it felt good to win. It is hard NOT to get a little excited about this team.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 01:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....and Bill's teams almost always block well and play tough up front on D. 

For sure. Had Scarnecchia (spelling?) one of the best OL coaches in the NFL forever and always had a good DL coach.

The old saying you win games in the trenches couldn't be more accurate.

(09-15-2021, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is easy to say that one game is not enough to get too excited about.  But many of the people who say that would screaming unending doom and gloom if we had lost.

I am not willing to anoint Zac after one game, but, damn, it felt good to win.  It is hard NOT to get a little excited about this team.

Yeah, if we would of lost that one in OT there would be a completely different feel around here and that ain't no lie.

Have to start winning the close games, this is a good start.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what it would take to trade for OJ Howard in Tampa.

They picked up his 5th year option in April - but that seems like a weird move.

They have Brate/Gronk already in the fold. Howard only saw 6 snaps in Game 1, and zero targets.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 06:35 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: I wonder what it would take to trade for OJ Howard in Tampa.

They picked up his 5th year option in April - but that seems like a weird move.

They have Brate/Gronk already in the fold. Howard only saw 6 snaps in Game 1, and zero targets.

We don't need him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 07:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: We don't need him.

Why? Teams with 5 straight losing seasons should always try and get better.  Especially teams that havent won a playoff games in 30+ years. 

Bengals TE's had 2 catches on Sunday.  One was the last play of the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 07:52 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: Why? Teams with 5 straight losing seasons should always try and get better.  Especially teams that havent won a playoff games in 30+ years. 

Bengals TE's had 2 catches on Sunday.  One was the last play of the game.

That's why; we don't use the TE enough and what we have on the roster is more-than sufficient.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote