Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why am I so damn optimistic?
(09-15-2021, 08:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's why; we don't use the TE enough and what we have on the roster is more-than sufficient.

We dont use our TE's because they cant create separation and get open. 

Hilarious that you watch this team, who focuses on short/intermediate passing, and you claim what we have at TE is sufficient.  lol

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:17 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: We dont use our TE's because they cant create separation and get open. 

Hilarious that you watch this team, who focuses on short/intermediate passing, and you claim what we have at TE is sufficient.  lol

Did you see Uzomah on 4th down?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's why; we don't use the TE enough and what we have on the roster is more-than sufficient.

Beg to differ.
Teams with heavy rushing attacks always want to improve their pass catchers and/or game-manager QB. They don't just accept what they have as pass catchers/QB because their offense is run-heavy.

The Bengals should look to upgrade TE if/when possible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:20 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Did you see Uzomah on 4th down?

The audible that burrow called, and the entire defense bit, and they dumped it to a wide open guy?.  Yeah, I saw that.  Who cares?  Do you think that means our TEs are good?

Going into that play, they had played 74 game minutes of Football and our TEs had 1 catch for 5 yards. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:33 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: The audible that burrow called, and the entire defense bit, and they dumped it to a wide open guy?.  Yeah, I saw that.  Who cares?  Do you think that means our TEs are good?

Going into that play, they had played 74 game minutes of Football and our TEs had 1 catch for 5 yards. 

Who you taking targets away from to throw to a TE?

Higgins?
Boyd?
Chase?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who you taking targets away from to throw to a TE?

Higgins?
Boyd?
Chase?

Which ever one isnt open? Lol - what a question!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:17 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: We dont use our TE's because they cant create separation and get open. 

What’s your solution? Free agents? High pick next year?

Problem is, unless you can fix it with a late round TE, there is no reason to spend money on TE when we have the holes we have and lack of depth in Oline. Same story with the draft… take a rd 2 TE or take an Olineman, LB, DE, CB, etc.

It’s just so low on the priority list that Uzomah is good enough as the starter.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What’s your solution? Free agents? High pick next year?

Problem is, unless you can fix it with a late round TE, there is no reason to spend money on TE when we have the holes we have and lack of depth in Oline. Same story with the draft… take a rd 2 TE or take an Olineman, LB, DE, CB, etc.

It’s just so low on the priority list that Uzomah is good enough as the starter.

That is why I asked what it would take to trade for Oj Howard. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:38 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: Which ever one isnt open? Lol - what a question!

Burrow completed 75% of his passes to those three.

You really expect him t improve on that number with a better TE?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow completed 75% of his passes to those three.

You really expect him t improve on that number with a better TE?

Lol, this is the dumbest troll counter argument of all time.  They have played in one game

And do I think better pass catcher options, specifically at TE,  would help a QB?   Yes I do. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:51 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: Lol, this is the dumbest troll counter argument of all time.  They have played in one game

And do I think better pass catcher options, specifically at TE,  would help a QB?   Yes I do. 

Look around the league.  There is not a single team with three top level WRs who throw to their TEs a lot.  If a team has a TE in the top ten in yardage then their #2WR is generally pedestrian, and their #3 invisible.

If Sample was our #1 I would be calling for another TE.  But Uzomah is actually a very impressive combination of size (6'4", 264) and speed (4.64 forty second fastest TE at '15 combine).  He is not nimble.  He can't run routes like elite TEs.  But he has good hands and is plenty good enough of a receiving threat behind our top 3 WRs.
Reply/Quote
I think our tight ends are sufficient. They may not be top 10 in the league but we don't need them to be. We have 3 good WR so all we need are some guys who can occasionally make a play and show up in the redzone every once in a while. Uzomah and Sample both have good hands.
Reply/Quote
I'm optimistic as hell to this year. I just want to have a great so godamn Bad.. Most of us here have never experienced that. I mean 88 I was 8 and Barley remember it.. I'd love to have another season like that but a different finish against the Niners at the end..
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 10:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Look around the league.  There is not a single team with three top level WRs who throw to their TEs a lot.  If a team has a TE in the top ten in yardage then their #2WR is generally pedestrian, and their #3 invisible.

The Super Bowl Champions have: 

Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Antonio Brown 

Gronk at TE.  With Brate and a 1st round 5th year option picked up on Howard. 

Brady threw to his TE over 135 times last year - stop making things up.  Are you always this painfully incorrect?  (Please answer, so I can know not to discuss anything with you)
Reply/Quote

Snark really necessary?

Ceej is more-than sufficient at TE, period.

When we start losing multiple games, due to shitty TEs, then you'll have a point.

Otherwise, what we have is more-than sufficient (for the 3rd time).

(09-15-2021, 08:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Beg to differ.
Teams with heavy rushing attacks always want to improve their pass catchers and/or game-manager QB. They don't just accept what they have as pass catchers/QB because their offense is run-heavy.

The Bengals should look to upgrade TE if/when possible.

Can't agree to that, Ocho; Ceej has shown he is a very good TE and he/Joe have insanely-good chemistry, not to mention that they still don't use them to their fullest.

People have been down on him just because he has a, "big contract," (which it isn't), but I'm perfectly happy with his output (when healthy lol).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is easy to say that one game is not enough to get too excited about.  But many of the people who say that would screaming unending doom and gloom if we had lost.

I am not willing to anoint Zac after one game, but, damn, it felt good to win.  It is hard NOT to get a little excited about this team.

What I was looking for in week 1 was improvement up front on both units, check. More discipline/lack of penalties, check. More balanced play calling, check. So, that gives me a bit of cautious optimism.... we're way too early in the season to say either way. I will say that I think this defense is gonna be pretty tough based on the preseason games and game 1. The offense is a question right now, because we've only seen one game and a series with the number ones.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 10:34 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: The Super Bowl Champions have: 

Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Antonio Brown 

Gronk at TE.  With Brate and a 1st round 5th year option picked up on Howard. 

Brady threw to his TE over 135 times last year - stop making things up.  Are you always this painfully incorrect?  (Please answer, so I can know not to discuss anything with you)

You are correct.  Gronk is the greatest receiving TE in the history of the NFL. His presence creates an outlier in the stats.

But you are not calling for a Hall of Fame TE.  You want O.J. Howard.  I don't want to takes targets away from Higgins/Boyd/Chase to give them to Howard.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is easy to say that one game is not enough to get too excited about.  But many of the people who say that would screaming unending doom and gloom if we had lost.

I am not willing to anoint Zac after one game, but, damn, it felt good to win.  It is hard NOT to get a little excited about this team.

I had to read this twice to see if it was really from you or a quote.  NOT an insult!  I just think you are dead on about the doom and gloom and the tentative nature about the optimism.  

Folks have been burned so many times by the Bengals that they won't give their heart until they see more consistency, and maybe even a playoff win or two.  

I just find myself in love with the youthful energy and design of this team.

My biggest question marks (Defensive line gel, LBs coming of age, secondary being at least solid) were all answered with a resounding YES!!!

Now, keep your foot on the gas and put together a streak and this fan base (and maybe this town) will go crazy (in a good way).  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:33 PM)KingOfQueens Wrote: The audible that burrow called, and the entire defense bit, and they dumped it to a wide open guy?.  Yeah, I saw that.  Who cares?  Do you think that means our TEs are good?

Kendricks is one of, if not the best, coverage LBs in the NFL.  Burrow will go where the matchup dictates.  

I will also say that CJ seems to be one of the most beloved Bengals in the locker room since Gio and I love the chemistry the team has with him.  I seriously doubt Tampa would give up on Howard given Gronk's age (maybe he is on the TB12 diet, though?  Ninja) and his potential upside.  He sure hasn't shown much to me, though.  

One last point regarding game plans involving (or not involving) the TEs in the offense:  The climate here changes.  When it is freezing and windy, you might see more 12 personnel and a focus on the ground game and high % passes with Uzo and Sample.  I feel pretty good knowing that both have NFL experience and can get the job done when called upon.  
Reply/Quote

This is 100% false.  Thad Moss was outstanding in the last preseason game when he got some targets, and he is the 4th TE on the team and on the practice squad.  Mitchell Wilcox is an underrated weapon that excelled on special teams and got the job on gameday over Moss. 

Sample and Uzo have shown to be capable TEs when called upon in the receiving game.  Yes, Sample got dusted by Danielle Hunter, but that was likely a protection call issue (Burrow?) and he was rated the 2nd best blocking TE in the NFL last year.  When Uzo went down, he showed to be a capable chain mover.

The Bengals need their TEs to be good blockers and good receivers.  They don't want a guy that just lines up out wide and sprints upfield.  

We have a very solid TE room.  
Reply/Quote