Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are 'Wake Up Call' Games Necessary for Bengals
Why is it necessary for the team to get a whooping before they 'realize' they need to play better?

Lap's reasoning for the dismal performance on D vs KC echoes statements made by the Cincinnati Organization for years.

"KC was embarrassed by the 49ers, KC lost upfront to the 49ers... so naturally that is why KC came out and dominated the Bengals upfront. Oh hey, by domino logic, the Bengals should do the same next week to their opponent because they were embarrassed! The parallels are astounding!!"

What is with this domino logic? Why can't the Bengals just perform without needing motivation from the previous week?

How often do we discuss Marvin's record 'after a loss'?

Why does it matter? Team should perform no matter what happened last week.

I understand this is just the rationale that we use to comprehend losing and to give us motivation moving forward, but to me, it happens far too often for this team.
Reply/Quote
Good Lord. It's preseason.

Now, don't get me wrong, this could continue into the season. However, until it does, it doesn't mean anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 09:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Good Lord.  It's preseason.  

Now, don't get me wrong, this could continue into the season.  However, until it does, it doesn't mean anything.

I'm not overly concerned about the preseason game, just something I've noticed from this franchise for a while now.

They seem to prepare harder after taking a defeat, which is good, I just wish they could channel that extra motivation every week haha.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 10:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm not overly concerned about the preseason game, just something I've noticed from this franchise for a while now.

They seem to prepare harder after taking a defeat, which is good, I just wish they could channel that extra motivation every week haha.

I think as long as this team is healthy they will be a playoff contender.  Of course, any injury to Effect or AJ completely changes this team.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 09:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Why is it necessary for the team to get a whooping before they 'realize' they need to play better?

Lap's reasoning for the dismal performance on D vs KC echoes statements made by the Cincinnati Organization for years.

"KC was embarrassed by the 49ers, KC lost upfront to the 49ers... so naturally that is why KC came out and dominated the Bengals upfront. Oh hey, by domino logic, the Bengals should do the same next week to their opponent because they were embarrassed! The parallels are astounding!!"

What is with this domino logic? Why can't the Bengals just perform without needing motivation from the previous week?

How often do we discuss Marvin's record 'after a loss'?

Why does it matter? Team should perform no matter what happened last week.

I understand this is just the rationale that we use to comprehend losing and to give us motivation moving forward, but to me, it happens far too often for this team.

0-7 can make a team cocky I guess?

The real reason is complacency. When an organization like ours leans on the side of loyalty instead of running it like a business, there is less accountability. Therefore, less fear of poor performance and decisions from everyone in the organization down to the mascot.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They aren't necessary for the Bengals nor anyone else. Saying a loss will be a "wake up call" that will make them better, meaner, madder, hungrier etc is just a way to pretend a loss can be a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 0-7 can make a team cocky I guess?

The real reason is complacency. When an organization like ours leans on the side of loyalty instead of running it like a business, there is less accountability. Therefore, less fear of poor performance and decisions from everyone in the organization down to the mascot.

If this was true, the organization would not have the solid record they have over the last 10 years... they would be in the basement like the Browns over the last 10 years.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If this was true, the organization would not have the solid record they have over the last 10 years... they would be in the basement like the Browns over the last 10 years.. 

Firstly, you forgot to bold 0-7?

Secondly, under old management, the Browns were totally on the other side of the spectrum. Marvin wouldn't have lasted 2 yrs tops there. Let's not even talk Bill Belichick. Bad comparison using the Browns.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Firstly, you forgot to bold 0-7?

Secondly, under old management, the Browns were totally on the other side of the spectrum. Marvin wouldn't have lasted 2 yrs tops there. Let's not even talk Bill Belichick. Bad comparison using the Browns.

well i guess we are even, you forgot our success and i forgot our failure... 

not a bad comparison, your analysis is  bad.. if a team was as horrible as you believe they are in the organization, they would have the failure that the Browns have had the last decade...
Reply/Quote

I agree, our coaches mostly have secure lifetime jobs,therefore lack intensity and focus which infect some players.
We are in the basement concerning playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
I think we put too much in to it, and I think Lap is speaking to that large population of fringe fans that might be listening and excusing their flat performance. The truth of it is, the Bengals were vanilla, and they were not 100% motivated. If you are anything less than that, you are likely to get your butt kicked....even in the preseason.

Why were they not 100%? My guess is that they were a little high on themselves after how they dominated the Bucs in week 1. I also think their coach is flatter than Kansas....(Clap and a Let's go doesn't give anyone goosebumps), but I think these are professionals and they need to find ways to motivate themselves. I think of Ray Lewis and those Raven teams...they never had a coach firing them up.

Regardless, I did re-watch the offense last night and it bordered on being easy except for a penalty and a dropped pass that he should have caught. I think they will be in sync Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 12:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well i guess we are even, you forgot our success and i forgot our failure... 

not a bad comparison, your analysis is  bad.. if a team was as horrible as you believe they are in the organization, they would have the failure that the Browns have had the last decade...

I understand where your coming from. So, I guess we have different opinions on the definition of success. If you build 7 houses, and forget to put a roof on each of them, then I guess you successfully built a house. However the investors that paid for them will probably advise you of your mistake and suggest you find a different career. If you don't, you shouldn't expect investors to believe in your abilities to complete a house successfully. With that said, I think Marvin would make one helluva hospice worker. He is an expert at telling people everything will be ok, as he watches them take their last breath.

Reply/Quote

Which is actually odd given that the Bengals are all that Mike Brown has in terms of a business, unlike most owners.
You would think he would strive even more to put the best product on the field week after week given this team is his only source of income.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 09:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Good Lord.  It's preseason.  

Now, don't get me wrong, this could continue into the season.  However, until it does, it doesn't mean anything.

It is the preseason...but this happens regularly during the season too. And it's happened a lot in the playoffs where the strengths of the team basically crumble.

In the playoffs...the other team will ALWAYS be trying hard. When that happens, which seems to be Laphams excuse for the KC game...the Bengals don't seem to be able to match that intensity.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 09:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It is the preseason...but this happens regularly during the season too. And it's happened a lot in the playoffs where the strengths of the team basically crumble.

In the playoffs...the other team will ALWAYS be trying hard. When that happens, which seems to be Laphams excuse for the KC game...the Bengals don't seem to be able to match that intensity.

Exactly. Some people seem to dismiss everything they see in the preaseason because "it's preseason".

While the final score itself doesn't matter at all, some of the individual performances can indicate strengths/weaknesses for the regular season. THAT is what people like you and I worry about.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 10:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm not overly concerned about the preseason game, just something I've noticed from this franchise for a while now.

I thought you were talking about KC. They got manhandled by SF and then cam back and manhandled us. We have yet in this preseason shown we have been woken up. Maybe we see it Sunday. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If this was true, the organization would not have the solid record they have over the last 10 years... they would be in the basement like the Browns over the last 10 years.. 

^^^  ThumbsUp

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 05:37 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: I agree, our coaches mostly have secure lifetime jobs,therefore lack intensity and focus which infect some players.
We are in the basement concerning playoff wins.

I suggest you go down to camp next year and watch a 2 hour practice. I saw coaches in players faces (intense), great organizational skills and a ton of focus. Go watch and then get back to us on your feelings.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 11:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If this was true, the organization would not have the solid regular season record they have over the last 10 years... they would be in the basement like the Browns over the last 10 years.. 

Fix in bold.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggest you go down to camp next year and watch a 2 hour practice. I saw coaches in players faces (intense), great organizational skills and a ton of focus. Go watch and then get back to us on your feelings.

While I believe you, a majority of the fans don't have the ability to go to a practice and especially see the coaches in that manner. From what most fans see (which is regular games on TV or up in the stands), we don't (get to) see the coaches showing any intensity or putting pressure on the players to perform better. We often just see Marvin clap his hands, say "Let's go!"
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote