Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the Bengals not clearing cap by restructuring deals?
(03-13-2023, 03:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting the Chiefs just signed OT Taylor to an 80 million contract. So teams do it too without restructuring.

They have $15 mill in cap space to work with, so I would expect the structure is going to be light on the cap hit this year and increase in the subsequent years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They have $15 mill in cap space to work with, so I would expect the structure is going to be light on the cap hit this year and increase in the subsequent years.

They’ve got both Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith’s rookie deals expiring coming up. We’ll see how they handle that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 04:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ve got both Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith’s rookie deals expiring coming up. We’ll see how they handle that.

We would all trade that problem for 5 straight AFC Championships and being 2 time SB Champions and still being a contender.

KC understands you must make moves to stay on top in lieu of just signing your own who have yet to even win a SB. 

Both players listed have 2 years to play still until they have to make a move keeping their window wide open to tack on to their SB resume. 

Suspect they will do like they did with Tyreek Hill and trade a star for a package of draft picks that help bring those players you listed to KC when this time arrives. 

Bengals need to go the same route as KC and not follow the Clowns futile efforts. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing all these teams clearing cap by "restructuring" deals.

Why are the Bengals not doing this to some extent? If there were ever a time to try and clear cap space, you would think this would be it. Super Bowl window, QB still technically on his rookie deal, and one or two players away from a championship...

Bengals do not need more cap space now, they will need cap space in a couple years.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We would all trade that problem for 5 straight AFC Championships and being 2 time SB Champions and still being a contender.

KC understands you must make moves to stay on top in lieu of just signing your own who have yet to even win a SB. 

Both players listed have 2 years to play still until they have to make a move keeping their window wide open to tack on to their SB resume. 

Suspect they will do like they did with Tyreek Hill and trade a star for a package of draft picks that help bring those players you listed to KC when this time arrives. 

Bengals need to go the same route as KC and not follow the Clowns futile efforts. 

This is the correct path but it doesn't seem like something the Bengals are willing to do.

The comments on Higgins from the front office make it seem like they still aren't willing to make moves.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 03:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I keep seeing all these teams clearing cap by "restructuring" deals.

Why are the Bengals not doing this to some extent? If there were ever a time to try and clear cap space, you would think this would be it. Super Bowl window, QB still technically on his rookie deal, and one or two players away from a championship...

Because they generally set up deals so that they are not financially detrimental to the franchise to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is the correct path but it doesn't seem like something the Bengals are willing to do.

The comments on Higgins from the front office make it seem like they still aren't willing to make moves.

The only move they should be making with Higgins is to get is extension done. To trade Higgins would absolutely ludicrous.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We would all trade that problem for 5 straight AFC Championships and being 2 time SB Champions and still being a contender.

Well we are on the KC timeline to a degree. First year Mahomes sat & Burrows was hurt. Second year KC loses in SB as does Cincy to the Rams. Third year KC wins SB and Cincy loses to KC in AFC Championship. So our trajectory mirrors KC/Mahomes to a degree. If we win a SB in ‘23 we will be caught up. That puts it in perspective.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well we are on the KC timeline to a degree. First year Mahomes sat & Burrows was hurt. Second year KC loses in SB as does Cincy to the Rams. Third year KC wins SB and Cincy loses to KC in AFC Championship. So our trajectory mirrors KC/Mahomes to a degree. If we win a SB in ‘23 we will be caught up. That puts it in perspective.

2nd year Mahomes lost AFCCG. Won his first Super Bowl appearance the next year. Then lost SB. Lost AFCCG. Won SB.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 2nd year Mahomes lost AFCCG. Won his first Super Bowl appearance the next year. Then lost SB. Lost AFCCG. Won SB.
I’ll start over:
Mahomes first year he sat and Alex Smith started. Burrow got hurt.
Mahomes second year he starts they lose in the wild card. Burrow makes it to the Super Bowl we lose to the Rams
Mahomes 3rd year they lose to the Pats in the SB and Burrow loses to KC in AFC Championship.

My point was to GoCards to match up our timeline. He said “ We would all trade that problem for 5 straight AFC Championships and being 2 time SB Champions and still being a contender.

KC understands you must make moves to stay on top in lieu of just signing your own who have yet to even win a SB. ”

Well he said 5 straight championships ( I think he meant appearances) well matching Mahomes timeline we’ve been to 2 straight and he won a SB year 3 let’s hope we do too. Mahomes didn’t make the SB year 2 of him starting.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll start over:
Mahomes second year he starts they lose in the wild card. Burrow makes it to the Super Bowl we lose to the Rams
Mahomes 3rd year they lose to the Pats in the SB and Burrow loses to KC in AFC Championship.

My point was to GoCards to match up our timeline. He said “ We would all trade that problem for 5 straight AFC Championships and being 2 time SB Champions and still being a contender.

KC understands you must make moves to stay on top in lieu of just signing your own who have yet to even win a SB. ”

Well he said 5 straight championships ( I think he meant appearances) well matching Mahomes timeline we’ve been to 2 straight and he won a SB year 3 let’s hope we do too. Mahomes didn’t make the SB year 2 of him starting.

The Chiefs do seem to draft well and make splash signings each year.

We'll see how the Bengals approach things.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:15 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The only move they should be making with Higgins is to get is extension done. To trade Higgins would absolutely ludicrous.

I agree completely. Higgins isn't the one I would try to trade for a bunch of draft picks.

But the point of Cards post was that the Chiefs showed how to sustain a team, you don't take guys like Hill and make them the top paid WR and hope to have success. You get the franchise QB, and then draft well while resigning certain key guys without breaking the bank. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Chiefs do seem to draft well and make splash signings each year.

We'll see how the Bengals approach things.

Well they got two ringers in the OL via the draft in Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith. They traded for Orlando Brown and replaced him today with the Jacksonville tackle. They’ve flat out drafted better than us and almost everyone. They’ve done better than us on their OL and are 1-3 versus us the last 2 years.

Oh we are definitely on the clock losing both safeties ( even though one was expected)

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is the correct path but it doesn't seem like something the Bengals are willing to do.

Agree 100% and I get it because we all love Tee. 

Yet bet not as much as the KC fans loved Tyreek Hill. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

WTF? You still butchered it.
1st year Mahomes sat and Burrow was injured in game 10. 
2nd year (1st full starting) Mahomes lost in the AFCCG to Brady and the pats)
3rd year (2nd full starting) Mahomes won the SB vs 49ers.
4th year (3rd full starting) Mahomes lost the SB vs Bucs.
5th year (4th full starting) Mahomes lost the AFCCG to the Bengals.
6th year (5th full starting) Mahomes won the SB vs Eagles. 

So, in his first 3 full seasons as the starter, Mahomes lost an AFCCG, won a SB and lost a SB.
In his first 2 full years starting, Burrow lost a SB and lost an AFCCG. So that means he will win the SB this year to match Mahomes first 3 years in a full season starting. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Yes meant appearances, at work still and doing quickly. 

As Pistons pointed out that KC is drafting well too. Yet getting an extra 1st, 2nd, and 4th last year from the Tyreek trade with 2 more pick coming this year helps one do that. Plus it freed up cap space to sign Orlando Brown. Also hitting on Pachecho in the 7th really helps as well. 

As you pointed out the Bengals are on the same trajectory albeit will have to dethrone the Chiefs to keep up, they're still far from toothless. But you we all are hoping to do so obviously. Yet we can see what they did after signing Mahomes, they shedded cap space at the WR and RB spot to still be able field a great team around Mahomes knowing those spots are the easiest to replace. It's logical without even knowing they did this imo. 

Bengals can still do this by letting Bates walk and cutting Mixon for a short term solution, will not give them extra picks but money to buy an OL.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Have the Chiefs had to play a single playoff game on the road? I don't think so. They benefit from playing in an easy division. They went 6-0 against their division opponents last year, and I think were 27-3 at one point over their division opponents, helping them to always get homefield advantage. Their two toughest games last year, the Bengals and the Bills, they lost, but their easy division helped them get home field in the playoffs.

On the other hand, the Bengals were 3-3 in their division, and play in a brutal division. If the Bengals had home field against the Chiefs last year, they probably win. Even in the Super Bowl, however, the Bengals had to play in the Rams home stadium.

Yes, Chiefs have done a great job with their roster management and signing Mahomes long term. But their post-season success is tied to getting home field, and their ability to completely dominate their weak division is a big help in that.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 10:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: WTF? You still butchered it.
1st year Mahomes sat and Burrow was injured in game 10. 
2nd year (1st full starting) Mahomes lost in the AFCCG to Brady and the pats)
3rd year (2nd full starting) Mahomes won the SB vs 49ers.
4th year (3rd full starting) Mahomes lost the SB vs Bucs.
5th year (4th full starting) Mahomes lost the AFCCG to the Bengals.
6th year (5th full starting) Mahomes won the SB vs Eagles. 

So, in his first 3 full seasons as the starter, Mahomes lost an AFCCG, won a SB and lost a SB.
In his first 2 full years starting, Burrow lost a SB and lost an AFCCG. So that means he will win the SB this year to match Mahomes first 3 years in a full season starting. 

(03-13-2023, 11:17 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yes meant appearances, at work still and doing quickly. 

As Pistons pointed out that KC is drafting well too. Yet getting an extra 1st, 2nd, and 4th last year from the Tyreek trade with 2 more pick coming this year helps one do that. Plus it freed up cap space to sign Orlando Brown. Also hitting on Pachecho in the 7th really helps as well. 

As you pointed out the Bengals are on the same trajectory albeit will have to dethrone the Chiefs to keep up, they're still far from toothless. But you we all are hoping to do so obviously. Yet we can see what they did after signing Mahomes, they shedded cap space at the WR and RB spot to still be able field a great team around Mahomes knowing those spots are the easiest to replace. It's logical without even knowing they did this imo. 

Bengals can still do this by letting Bates walk and cutting Mixon for a short term solution, will not give them extra picks but money to buy an OL.

I did butcher it again some. But the point sticks. You can’t compare KC’s 5 year run to Cincy’s 2 year run in essence. You can certainly look at why KC’s been successful in that 5 year window. They’ve foremost drafted well. You can see why Cincy has been successful. We hit in FA ( defense for sure) and the draft (offense mostly) even if we had early picks. They’ve got their first real crisis…replacing the best safety tandem in the entire league. Hopefully day 2 will go better and provide more insight.

Reply/Quote
How sure are we that the cap is going to increase at the rates that some of the posters say it's going to? With the way that banks have been crashing the past few days, the cap might be flat or go down if things continue to crash. Burrow might end up getting a smaller deal than expected if the bubble bursts.
Reply/Quote
Imagine 7 straight years of your OL being a problem and your message going into Year 8 is "we like the guys we have" and you're just banking on internal improvement.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote