Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the Cincinnati Bengals Underestimated?
The entire football world has seen the same Bengals we've seen for the last few decades. People here have said it's Bengals PTSD. In the past, the Hubbard play would have always happened to us instead of for us. It will take time for people outside of Cincinnati to realize things have changed.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 11:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Neither are Buffalo and KC. Buffalo is smaller.

Small market team that fans can keep calling the bengals because of the 90s. Buffalo and KC have had many more relevant and successful seasons than Cincy which makes them easier to cover.

Seriously, You’re going to hear about Tre davious White and Chris Jones 3 times as often as you will hear about DJ Reader or Logan Wilson
Reply/Quote
In 2021 the Bengals should not have been favored, they came from nowhere to win the AFCN (but Jackson got hurt) and then beat 2 very good teams on the road in Tennessee and the Chiefs. Then lost a tight Super Bowl game.

In 2022, the Bengals are riding a huge winning streak, so are the Bills. It is ironic one would have lost the Monday night nightmare game. I think it would have been the Bills.

There is no shame and really it does not matter how the national media thinks of our team. Our team is confident and they have proven they can win 4 games in a row in 2022, something not all playoff teams have proven.

I think the winner of the Bills/Bengals game beats KC and is in the Super Bowl. I think the 49ers are the best team in football even with a rookie QB, but the best team does not always win. I think the AFC wins the Super Bowl in Arizona.

I love this journey the past 2 seasons and the fun part is as long as Joe B. is our QB, we will be in the conversation every year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
"Yeah, well, maybe next time you will estimate me."
Reply/Quote
I guess we shouldn't even go to Buffalo...

<

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
They need to show this in the oline meeting...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 07:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals are the defending AFC champions and AFCN divisional champions.  They are a team that should be respected right?
As I go through social medial, videos, and talk shows, I noticed the Bengals are once again undervalued as super bowl contenders.  As an example:

My Question is why?

When you go by the numbers, the Bengals as a team, do not lead in any category.  They just plod along.  
Offense:  
Total Yards PG: 8th (KC 1st) (Bills 2nd)
Rushing attempts/yards, Bengals are near bottom
Offensive plays Bengals are about 17th, whereas eagles are 5th, meaning they run more plays which gives them better opportunity to score.  

Defense
Sacks (Bengals are near bottom)
Turnover DIFF (Bengals 6th; Bills 15th; KC is 23rd)
TYPG allowed: Bengals 16th; Bills 6th, KC 11th
Points allowed Bengals 5th, Bills 2nd, KC 16th

Note that 49ers stats are 1st in just about every category on defense.  

So statistically, the Bengals are well rounded but not eye popping.  

With regard to the eye test, the Bengals do not usually dominate teams with exceptions of the Panthers.  They almost lost to the Patriots and struggled against backup QB in Dallas and Ravens.  They were blown out by a very bad team in the Browns on National broadcast.

Nonetheless, what the stats and the eye test do not capture is the fact that the Bengals have players who win plays at critical moments.  Whether it be creating a fumble, INT, a sack at a critical moment in the game, stopping a score.  The Bengals as a team have players that rise to the moment.  They are opportunistic winners.  It may look like the Bengals are lucky, but I think it speaks to the fortitude and character of the team. They may not flash, but they are a team to fear, especially in the playoffs because they are unflappable.

Nice thread Psych, just a lot more motivation to use come game day. The Bills get home cooking, the refs in their pocket, we are 
being looked over and people already have the Bills playing the Chiefs in the AFC Championship etc.

USE IT!!!Mad
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 02:24 PM)pally Wrote: I guess we shouldn't even go to Buffalo...

<

I used to like that guy, the Ravens should of won eh, and outplayed us eh? What a homer take...

It was a tough close game but the better team won, this just sounds like more whining because they lost.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 02:24 PM)pally Wrote: I guess we shouldn't even go to Buffalo...

<

I love it. 

There was way too much hype going on last week, now everyone is off the train and looking at all the other teams. 

Loooooove it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I don't know if the Bengals are being underestimated, but more that people nationally seem to like the Bills more, although I'm not sure why.
They, like the Bengals, have a small market, they have never been dirty, and they've never won a Super Bowl despite appearing in multiple.
The only thing I can think of as to why is that many still dislike Bengals ownership because of misperceptions from the 90's and 2000's.
They think (or want) the Bengals will inevitably go back to being a bad team again like they used to be.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
AFC Central/AFC North Division winners - 1982 was a strike shortened year . . . no divisions.
[Image: OLoZlU4E5Cfc75ey85mgFCgM8yFbbkuUf4mTKVXy...1600-nd-v1]

Total 
2 Jaguars 
3 Oilers/Titans - The 70s Oilers had Earl Campbell and Dan Pastorini, but they didn't win their first division title until 1991 with Warren Moon.
6 Browns - They did win 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 years in the 80s. Bernie Kosar was tough.
6 Ravens - 1st division crown was the first year of the Marvin Lewis era in Cincinnati. The Bengals have now matched them with 6 titles since '03.
11 Bengals - Inaugural AFC Central Division Champions, 2 with Brown, 1 with Gregg, 2 with Wyche, 4 with Lewis, 2 with Taylor.
24 Steelers - Including runs of 6 straight and 4 straight.

Two division titles in a row
1 Jaguars
1 Bengals
2 Ravens
4 Steelers
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I think we have had a great season. Front office, coaches and players all have done great, regardless of whether we win or lose Sunday. All Bengals fans should be thankful for their great efforts.

I think we can beat Bills because of Burrow and our defense and DC. I’ve seen the Bills play close games because of Allen turnovers against teams that are way inferior to Bengals.

If we don’t win it will only be because of our decimated o line.

I think we would win AFC for sure if we have our starting o line.

Injuries are part of NFL and we caught some bad luck this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 05:30 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: AFC Central/AFC North Division winners - 1982 was a strike shortened year . . . no divisions.

Total 
2 Jaguars 
3 Oilers/Titans - The 70s Oilers had Earl Campbell and Dan Pastorini, but they didn't win their first division title until 1991 with Warren Moon.
6 Browns - They did win 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 years in the 80s. Bernie Kosar was tough.
6 Ravens - 1st division crown was the first year of the Marvin Lewis era in Cincinnati. The Bengals have now matched them with 6 titles since '03.
11 Bengals - Inaugural AFC Central Division Champions, 2 with Brown, 1 with Gregg, 2 with Wyche, 4 with Lewis, 2 with Taylor.

1 Jaguars
1 Bengals
2 Ravens
4 Steelers

The fact that the Jaguars and the Oilers have won this division more recently than the Browns is a riot.
Reply/Quote
I don't underestimate this current squad, but my nervousness watching them in games is attached to all the hardships I saw during the '90s. It's not the most rationale thinking, but I own it.

I would like to see Zac, Burrow, and the squad dominate a playoff game. I don't want to watch close games.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 05:30 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: AFC Central/AFC North Division winners - 1982 was a strike shortened year . . . no divisions.

Total 
2 Jaguars 

1 Jaguars
1 Bengals
2 Ravens
4 Steelers
Then jaguars were in our division? Wow
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 04:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Then jaguars were in our division? Wow

1995-2001

1995 - The last year of the Browns, first season of the Jaguars.
1996 - First season of the Ravens.
1997 - Houston moves to Memphis.
1998 - moves again to Nashville.
1999 - 2001 The ####ing Browns come back and force us as fans to watch 10 division matchups out of 16 games for a three year period.
2002 - Life as we know it in the AFC North starts with 2-14.

All-Time AFC North Champs
9 Steelers
6 Bengals
6 Ravens
0 Browns

All-Time Steelers vs everybody since 1970
24 Steelers
28 Everybody else
23 Everybody else minus the Jags and Oilers/Titans
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Its just because Joe is in the middle of his Picasso painting. He showed them last year but that wasn't good enough for the media with no offensive line. This game doesn't scare me much for some reason because I believe they'll be ready this time.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 09:00 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Its just because Joe is in the middle of his Picasso painting. He showed them last year but that wasn't good enough for the media with no offensive line. This game doesn't scare me much for some reason because I believe they'll be ready this time.

We sure are getting a ton of disrespect once again this time around. This only feeds the Tiger. Tiger
Reply/Quote