Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why are white people so sensitive?
I'm white.  Very white.  But I've never been offended by minorities getting jobs, going to school, running for office, etc.

I've certainly never been upset about a minority actor playing a "white role" in a remake.

And this, this is ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-getting-sued-portraying-cleopatra-205008169.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Quote:Cleopatra is a historical figure that has captivated audiences for generations. Countless books have been written and more than a few movies and television series have been made that tell the story of the ancient Egyptian queen. A new Netflix series, Queen Cleopatra has come under fire for its choice in casting the lead role, which has even resulted in a lawsuit against the streaming service, and now the director is speaking out.

Director Tina Gharvari is behind the upcoming Netflix series Queen Cleopatra. The series will combine dramatized events with historians discussing Cleopatra, including discussions of the ruler’s possible ethnic make up. However, the decision to cast Adele James, a Black actress, has already resulted in backlash, as a lawyer in Egypt has actually filed suit against the production. In a story for Variety, Gharvari says she chose the right actress for the job, and she thinks James probably looks more like the ancient ruler than many actresses who have played the role before. She explains…

Quote:After much hang-wringing and countless auditions, we found in Adele James an actor who could convey not only Cleopatra’s beauty, but also her strength. What the historians can confirm is that it is more likely that Cleopatra looked like Adele than Elizabeth Taylor ever did.

In the lawsuit, filed in Egypt by attorney Mahmoud al-Semary, Newsweek reports that the streaming service is accused of “erasing the Egyptian identity” and has asked a court to take legal action against Netflix, including blocking the streaming service in Egypt. Approximately 100,000 people have a Netflix subscription in Egypt.

As Tina Gharvari explains in her piece, Cleopatra’s ethnic make up is a topic of debate among historians, and, as such, what she looked like can only be theorized. Her father was Macedonian, but her mother’s identity is unknown, and as such, could have come from a number of cultures in and around Egypt. Gharvari accepts that Cleopatra may not have been Black, but wanted to make a show that could explore that possibility. She continues…

Quote:So, was Cleopatra Black? We don’t know for sure, but we can be certain she wasn’t white like Elizabeth Taylor. We need to have a conversation with ourselves about our colorism, and the internalized white supremacy that Hollywood has indoctrinated us with.

Elizabeth Taylor’s performance as Cleopatra in the 1963 film is certainly the most well-known. There have been more recent attempts to bring the character back to the big screen. More than a decade ago Angelina Jolie was circling a Cleopatra project. More recently, Gal Gadot was going to re-team with her Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins for a Cleopatra movie, but that movie has gone quiet since Jenkins left the project.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
The shit posting on this forum is next level
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Who's upset about casting ethnicity? Maybe the better question would be "who really gives a s**t"?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm white too and I'm polish white and these people are ridiculous.

They didn't bother with Jesus Christ or Moses being bleached.

They are fragile.

Fact is that their worst fear is to become a minority which will be treated as they treat minority.

Kudos to black and native american people who are seeking for equality and not revenge.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: The shit posting on this forum is next level

What was posted was a news story concerning a real issue.  You can chose to not participate or you can contribute.  You did neither.

(04-23-2023, 02:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's upset about casting ethnicity?  Maybe the better question would be "who really gives a s**t"?

I'd say the people who filed a lawsuit.

And these people.

And these people. 
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Well I guess Mahmoud al-Semary could be white. I don't know if Egyptians identify as white or not.
Reply/Quote
There were lots of tears over the casting of Halle Bailey as Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Apparently, some people know the ethnicity of fictional mermaids

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:00 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well I guess Mahmoud al-Semary could be white. I don't know if Egyptians identify as white or not.

See, I always assumed she was black, or at least dark skinned.  Apparently there is some debate as she had Greek heritage a few generations back. 

Nonetheless a LAWSUIT over it is almost the most white American thing ever.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
They should cast Mia Khalifa for the role. Bet the Egyptians would really love that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:09 PM)pally Wrote: There were lots of tears over the casting of Halle Bailey as Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Apparently, some people know the ethnicity of fictional mermaids

Velma
Rings of Power
House of the Dragon
Star Wars
Troy: Fall of a City
Ghostbusters
The Witcher
The Little Mermaid
Bridgerton
The Batman

The list goes on forever. For being the people that say they're so busy working they sure have a lot of time to be snowflakes about casting decisions.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: See, I always assumed she was black, or at least dark skinned.  Apparently there is some debate as she had Greek heritage a few generations back. 

Yes, she was in fact greek. She was part of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:57 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Velma
Rings of Power
House of the Dragon
Star Wars
Troy: Fall of a City
Ghostbusters
The Witcher
The Little Mermaid
Bridgerton
The Batman

The list goes on forever. For being the people that say they're so busy working they sure have a lot of time to be snowflakes about casting decisions.

I binged The Great recently, and it also had quite a few people of color in it, more than one would assume existed in the Russian court at the time. There was no big deal about that at least. I guess there were not enough Catherine the Great fanboys to complain about it. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 04:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: See, I always assumed she was black, or at least dark skinned.  Apparently there is some debate as she had Greek heritage a few generations back. 

The original Ptolemy was one of Alexander's generals, who took over the Egypt/Africa sector of A's empire. ("Egypt" by the way is a Greek name. Egyptians today call their nation "Masr" in Arabic.) 

For at least three generations his descendants married Greek and Macedonian women. 

Then brothers and sisters started marrying to keep the line pure. Eg. Cleo's dad, Ptolemy XII, married his sister. (and a wife before that may have been his daughter.)

So far as I know, the "unknown" woman in the line coupled with Cleopatra's grandfather, Ptolemy IX, to produce Ptolemy XII--but the possible
candidates for "unknown" are themselves at least half-Macedonian. 

By the 3rd generation the Ptolemies were adopting Egyptian customs, but in the few images we have of them,
they still look very European in Greek made sculptures and very Egyptian in Egyptian made ones.

By modern standards, most Macedonians were quite xenophobic, and might have wanted to keep their lineage "pure" by not 
intermarrying with actual Egyptians. Plutarch says Cleopatra VII stood out because she was the only one in her family to actually learn Egyptian.

Egyptians don't see themselves as "black" but they do think of their culture as very unique and very very ancient. This uproar reminds me a bit of the German consternation over a black Sigrfried in Wagner's ring cycle some years back.

The outlines of the last two generations of the dynasty comes from Strabo's Geography, Book XVII, which is difficult to sort through since it is mostly about geography. The rest we know from Roman/Greek sources focused on Roman history.

PS I am thinking it more likely that C could have been blonde and had genetic defects from inbreeding than that she was black. Historians are uncertain of her lineage, but there is no special reason to assume she was black .
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: The shit posting on this forum is next level

Help us out.

Post something that is not "shit."
Reply/Quote
Wait! You mean there are black people in Africa? All this time I thought all of Africa had been settled by Al Jolson descendants in black face singing Steven Foster songs.. Man..the makeup industry is really good!  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

thought the lawsuit was by an egyptian group
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 06:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes, she was in fact greek.  She was part of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.

Pics or it never happened..  Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 01:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm white.  Very white.  But I've never been offended by minorities getting jobs, going to school, running for office, etc.

I've certainly never been upset about a minority actor playing a "white role" in a remake.

And this, this is ridiculous.

The guy suing isn't white but you are making it out that white people are the sensitive ones? 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 12:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: Pics or it never happened..  Wink

Cleopatra VII in the Berlin Museum
[Image: Cleopatra_VII_dalla_via_appia_tra_aricci...ca._01.jpg]
[Image: img_0228.jpg?w=720]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 01:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The guy suing isn't white but you are making it out that white people are the sensitive ones? 

Yeah bit confusing. And when it comes to sensitivity with actors playing make believe, it certainly isn't just whites or a race thing of those that get all riled up. Even Eddie Raymond apologized for playing a trans character in 'The Danish Girl' because he received a bit of backlash because he wasn't trans himself. Crazy times.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote