Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why are white people so sensitive?
(04-24-2023, 03:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah bit confusing. And when it comes to sensitivity with actors playing make believe, it certainly isn't just whites or a race thing of those that get all riled up. Even Eddie Raymond apologized for playing a trans character in 'The Danish Girl' because he received a bit of backlash because he wasn't trans himself. Crazy times.

Here I thought it was a part of "acting"
Reply/Quote
They're Egyptians. I can't recall Egyptians ever being referred to as white people.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There has always been debate about the ethnicity of the ancient Egyptians.

They were probably closer to Greek, Italian/Roman and Middle Eastern than European white.

But clearly, based on the lawsuit, they don't want to be black.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
I think there was a time when people wanted to cast shows to have more diversity because they genuinely felt like representation matters (which it does) and that it is a net positive to society for people of all races, colors, genders, sexualities and ideologies to have media characters to look up to, aspire to be, take solace in their representation in the world and/or model themselves after.

But then the right wing just gave so much free publicity and air time to those projects due to their outrage, that it has become a cynical twisting of the original intent. Now, I think a lot of forms of media will cast with diversity in mind because they know it will automatically give them a huge visibility boost because people will either hate watch it or hear about it because of the crooning of those hate watching it. Profit driven executives who don't care at all about inclusion or diversity weaponizing it to drive outrage from the right and automatic support from the left (often in response to the outrage from the right) to result in higher profits at the expense of everyone's collective sanity.

Capitalism at its finest.

Even super innocuous versions. I remember there was a huge controversy surrounding the Buzz Lightyear movie and I saw a few videos reference but not explicitly say what the controversial thing was. I was intrigued so I googled around (If I had the time I may have even watched it) and found out that there's a single scene, barely 2 seconds long, where two women kiss. And not in a sexual way. Just a peck. The idea of that being controversial in 2022 is so ***** pathetic, it borders on absurdity.

The movie, which by all accounts was aggressively average, a blatant cash grab and not even the right target audience (the people who grew up with Toy Story were damn near 40 at this point), ended up turning a profit and I imagine a lot of that has to do with the free advertising it got for being "outrage inducing."

Now, it also got the movie banned in much of the middle east so there's a trade off there, but I'm not sure what the market value of those countries would have been relative to the free advertising they got.

I genuinely think I never would have heard about that (admittedly awful) Velma prequel series if the right wing wasn't so furious that they made Velma non-white.

It's become a self defeating prophecy for righties. You keep getting angry about it, they'll keep doing it. No publicity is bad publicity, or so they say.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 12:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I genuinely think I never would have heard about that (admittedly awful) Velma prequel series if the right wing wasn't so furious that they made Velma non-white.

According to my son, Velma has an entire genre of 'romance' films dedicated to her likeness.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 12:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think there was a time when people wanted to cast shows to have more diversity because they genuinely felt like representation matters (which it does) and that it is a net positive to society for people of all races, colors, genders, sexualities and ideologies to have media characters to look up to, aspire to be, take solace in their representation in the world and/or model themselves after.

But then the right wing just gave so much free publicity and air time to those projects due to their outrage, that it has become a cynical twisting of the original intent. Now, I think a lot of forms of media will cast with diversity in mind because they know it will automatically give them a huge visibility boost because people will either hate watch it or hear about it because of the crooning of those hate watching it. Profit driven executives who don't care at all about inclusion or diversity weaponizing it to drive outrage from the right and automatic support from the left (often in response to the outrage from the right) to result in higher profits at the expense of everyone's collective sanity.

Even super innocuous versions. I remember there was a huge controversy surrounding the Buzz Lightyear movie and I saw a few videos reference but not explicitly say what the controversial thing was. I was intrigued so I googled around (If I had the time I may have even watched it) and found out that there's a single scene, barely 2 seconds long, where two women kiss. And not in a sexual way. Just a peck. The idea of that being controversial in 2022 is so ***** pathetic, it borders on absurdity.

The movie, which by all accounts was aggressively average, a blatant cash grab and not even the right target audience (the people who grew up with Toy Story were damn near 40 at this point), ended up turning a profit and I imagine a lot of that has to do with the free advertising it got for being "outrage inducing."

Now, it also got the movie banned in much of the middle east so there's a trade off there, but I'm not sure what the market value of those countries would have been relative to the free advertising they got.

I genuinely think I never would have heard about that (admittedly awful) Velma prequel series if the right wing wasn't so furious that they made Velma non-white.

It's become a self defeating prophecy for righties. You keep getting angry about it, they'll keep doing it. No publicity is bad publicity, or so they say.

Why do you think Extremists always represent the whole? 
There is leftist extremists as well, but I'm smart enough to realize they do not always represent the majority. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 12:46 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why do you think Extremists always represent the whole? 
There is leftist extremists as well, but I'm smart enough to realize they do not always represent the majority. 

what?
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: They should cast Mia Khalifa for the role. Bet the Egyptians would really love that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not: she's Lebanese.

(04-23-2023, 06:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes, she was in fact greek. She was part of the Ptolemaic Dynasty.

Macedonian, not Greek.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 12:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The movie, which by all accounts was aggressively average, a blatant cash grab and not even the right target audience (the people who grew up with Toy Story were damn near 40 at this point), ended up turning a profit and I imagine a lot of that has to do with the free advertising it got for being "outrage inducing."

I'm turning 34 this year, you classless ageist!

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 02:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to my son, Velma has an entire genre of 'romance' films dedicated to her likeness.  Ninja

Oh, are those the films where she loses her glasses and has to crawl around on the ground looking for them?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 10:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Oh, are those the films where she loses her glasses and has to crawl around on the ground looking for them?  Ninja

Jinkies..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 10:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Macedonian, not Greek.

Macedonians were Doric Greek (with other mixtures too, Illyrian, Thracian). Their language was a dialect of Ancient
Greek, though the Athenians thought it "barbaric."  Macedonians thought they were Greek but most Greeks did not.

If Thucydides is to be believed, the ancestors of the Argead dynasty which produced Alexander the Great
migrated from Argos, on the Peloponessian peninsula 40 mile or so from Sparta. That may just be legend.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 12:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think there was a time when people wanted to cast shows to have more diversity because they genuinely felt like representation matters (which it does) and that it is a net positive to society for people of all races, colors, genders, sexualities and ideologies to have media characters to look up to, aspire to be, take solace in their representation in the world and/or model themselves after.

I think the casting was likely an example of young Americans raised with corporate "diversity" and little knowledge of history--so why not "explore the black Cleopatra angle" Could have been you know? So the goal is more to adjust history to the imaginations of a contemporary audience. One producer, Jada Pinkett Smith, thinks black girls need to see more black queens and princesses. I support that goal, but not at the expense of historical record.

To make the point of my previous post more explicit--if the Macedonian dynasty was so careful to remain "pure" that brothers married sisters and fathers daughters, and they still spoke Macedonian after nearly 300 years (longer than the U.S. has existed), what is the likelihood that they would acknowledge a partly black woman as queen, not even a brown but non-black Egyptian? 

On the Egyptian side, their "identity politics" is not the same as ours. But the guy bringing the suit might also be guilty of presentism if he thinks Cleopatra should look like a contemporary Egyptian. It's not clear from the Newsweek or BBC that is the case, but the lawyer was complaining that Adele's casting misrepresents the genealogy of Egyptian nationality. This is also a bit questionable, as images of Egyptians from the old and middle kingdom look (to me) rather like the actress Adele--the mixed race actress chosen to be Cleopatra in the series. Clearly black people, perhaps but not necessarily slaves, are common in paintings on artefacts from these periods. I got to see the Tut exhibit in Seattle back in 1979 and was surprised to so many images of what were clearly black people carved into chairs and the like and pictured on household articles. History books i had access to at that time did not prepare me for that surprise. Tut would not have been served at a white lunch counter in Alabama in 1963. But contemporary Egyptians would not see him as "black" I'm sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 08:21 PM)Dill Wrote: Macedonians were Doric Greek (with other mixtures too, Illyrian, Thracian). Their language was a dialect of Ancient
Greek, though the Athenians thought it "barbaric."  Macedonians thought they were Greek but most Greeks did not.

If Thucydides is to be believed, the ancestors of the Argead dynasty which produced Alexander the Great
migrated from Argos, on the Peloponessian peninsula 40 mile or so from Sparta. That may just be legend.

All I will say is that if you call ANY Macedonian, "Greek," they will be immensely offended lol
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 09:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All I will say is that if you call ANY Macedonian, "Greek," they will be immensely offended lol

Nowadays, I'm not surprised. lol
Reply/Quote