Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can’t we get players like Burkhead?
New England keeps getting good players an making them great. Why can’t we get a player like Rex burkhead. He can do it all,

If only marve could get a player like that and use his talent.
(I know he played for us. Just being sarcastic)
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:10 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: New England keeps getting good players an making them great.  Why can’t we get a player like Rex burkhead.  He can do it all,  

He did have good games for us but he also had two players in Gio and Hill that were better than him. As for why we didn't sign him back idk but to tell you the truth it's not that huge of a deal because players like him are a dime in a dozen.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
System, coaching, and organizational culture. The organizational culture one is the worst attribute of this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:10 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: New England keeps getting good players an making them great.  Why can’t we get a player like Rex burkhead.  He can do it all,  

I see your point, and agree completely.  Burkhead had done well, whenever he had the opportunity to demonstrate, when he was with the Bengals.  However, Merv insisted on keeping him buried on the depth chart, until he was the last man on the shelf.  A coach like Belichick finds ways to get Burkhead's dynamic skillset into the game plan.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see your point, and agree completely.  Burkhead had done well, whenever he had the opportunity to demonstrate, when he was with the Bengals.  However, Merv insisted on keeping him buried on the depth chart, until he was the last man on the shelf.  A coach like Belichick finds ways to get Burkhead's dynamic skillset into the game plan.  

Yeah...maybe start using Burkhead more and instead of Mixon draft a Center?

I do like Mixon...but how many good RB's do you need to see that the line is the main issue? No the Bengals have 3 2nd Round RB's on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: System, coaching, and organizational culture. The organizational culture one is the worst attribute of this franchise.

^^^^ What was said right here. We HAD Rex Burkhead and what happened? He looked less than stellar in this system. So now everyone knows it isn't the players.

And another tough win for Zimmer! Ugly win but a win nonetheless.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Mikey: Oline schmoeline.. gimme a girl scout troupe and I'll show you a running back! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Meh, he has about 250 rushing yards, 50 receiving yards, and 6 TDs on the year after his "breakout" game. We got similar production out of Brian Leonard when we stole him from the Rams. So we do get players like Burkhead.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He did have good games for us but he also had two players in Gio and Hill that were better than him. As for why we didn't sign him back idk but to tell you the truth it's not that huge of a deal because players like him are a dime in a dozen.

I argued a long time ago, that Burkhead had an intangible that Gio does not have. Burkhead is a grind it out playmaker, and I'm sure that's what the Patriots saw in him. Their career stats are vary similar, albeit Gio has way more attempts. On paper they are actually very similar at this point. Given a choice between the two, I'd take Rex. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see your point, and agree completely.  Burkhead had done well, whenever he had the opportunity to demonstrate, when he was with the Bengals.  However, Merv insisted on keeping him buried on the depth chart, until he was the last man on the shelf.  A coach like Belichick finds ways to get Burkhead's dynamic skillset into the game plan.  

Correct +100
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 05:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: System, coaching, and organizational culture. The organizational culture one is the worst attribute of this franchise.

/thread

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 06:29 PM)Interceptor Wrote: ^^^^ What was said right here. We HAD Rex Burkhead and what happened? He looked less than stellar in this system. So now everyone knows it isn't the players.

And another tough win for Zimmer! Ugly win but a win nonetheless.

I think the more knowledgeable of us knew that Burkhead would be the type of player that would fit in at NE and do well.

How many guys like Evan Mathis have we had that looked ok here in limited opportunity then leave and become better? Justin Smith fits the mold. He was good here but great in SF.

That said, what is the Bengals system?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 07:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the more knowledgeable of us knew that Burkhead would be the type of player that would fit in at NE and do well.

How many guys like Evan Mathis have we had that looked ok here in limited opportunity then leave and become better? Justin Smith fits the mold. He was good here but great in SF.

That said, what is the Bengals system?

When something works, we stop doing it before the opponent has had the opportunity to stop us.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 06:58 PM)Utts Wrote: I argued a long time ago, that Burkhead had an intangible that Gio does not have. Burkhead is a grind it out playmaker, and I'm sure that's what the Patriots saw in him. Their career stats are vary similar, albeit Gio has way more attempts. On paper they are actually very similar at this point. Given a choice between the two, I'd take Rex. 

Gio is way more explosive then Burkhead.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 07:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That said, what is the Bengals system?

[Image: Mompop.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Gio is way more explosive then Burkhead.

Yeah, I’ll take Gio over Rex any day.

Reply/Quote
A lot of this has to do with the philosophy that Mike Brown has put in place and Marvin Lewis has bought in to. Rumors are that Mike is more willing to play rookies than Marvin, but we all know whoever gets paid the most will get the most snaps. Why else do we have a young DLineman with 7.5 sacks stuck behind Michael Johnson? Why did we let go of Sims and see progress from Billings just to bring Sims back and he will again leap frog Billings on the depth chart. Pacman and DreK over Dennard and WJ3. Hill over Mixon. The list goes on and on every year.

There's zero accountability. Be a vet, make the most money at your position, and your play doesn't matter in the slightest. You will be the starter and the young players will be wasted behind you.

Yes, I understand Malone is getting snaps and Core got some snaps last year, but unless there is a major need (like Dalton and Green) rookies get "eased" in at best.
Reply/Quote
We have a lot more things to complain about than letting Rex Burkhead go. I'm happy for Rex for his game today, but c'mon.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 06:58 PM)Utts Wrote: I argued a long time ago, that Burkhead had an intangible that Gio does not have. Burkhead is a grind it out playmaker, and I'm sure that's what the Patriots saw in him. Their career stats are vary similar, albeit Gio has way more attempts. On paper they are actually very similar at this point. Given a choice between the two, I'd take Rex. 

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Gio is way more explosive then Burkhead.

What does that mean? How has that translated into production? Their career stats are very similar. If you need to move the chains, Rex is your man.
Reply/Quote