Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we tackle?
HOLY CRAP!! Why in the hell can we not tackle, we looked like a undisciplined pee wee team out there who just learned how to tackle!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 09:17 AM)740Bengal Wrote: HOLY CRAP!! Why in the hell can we not tackle, we looked like a undisciplined pee wee team out there who just learned how to tackle!

1. Poor conditioning.

2. Being out of position in the first place.

3. Fear of an unnecessary roughness penalty.

4. Not knowing how angles to the ball carrier work i.e. overpursuit or pulling up short.

5. Failure to aim for the center of mass and wrap up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 09:24 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 1. Poor conditioning.

4. Not knowing how angles to the ball carrier work i.e. overpursuit or pulling up short.

We were sure tacklers with Zim... so I am going to say coaching has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

All of these equal up to poor coaching.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This defense has gotten worse than Chuck Bresnahan's old Defense.. I say worse , because at least when they were out of position , they managed to get turnovers more some how., But same old poor tackling and playcalling
Reply/Quote
It's maddening. On that TD to Jordan Reed yesterday there were at least three guys in the area who could have at least slowed him down on his way to the end zone. All of them either whiffed on the tackle or took terrible angles and were non-factors on the play.
Reply/Quote
It's coaching. It's attitude. It's organizational culture.

Simply put, the Bengals aren't a tough NFL team.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 09:49 AM)NKYRob Wrote: It's maddening.  On that TD to Jordan Reed yesterday there were at least three guys in the area who could have at least slowed him down on his way to the end zone.  All of them either whiffed on the tackle or took terrible angles and were non-factors on the play.

On several run attempts, I saw multiple occasions where Peko would whiff on the back in the back field, only to be followed up with Rey Maualuga to whiff on the back at the LOS. So several run plays that could have easily went for negative yardage ended up being 2-3 yard gains because of piss poor tackling. Second down plays that should have resulted in 3rd and 8 but instead went to 3rd and 3.

Unacceptable.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 10:07 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: On several run attempts, I saw multiple occasions where Peko would whiff on the back in the back field, only to be followed up with Rey Maualuga to whiff on the back at the LOS. So several run plays that could have easily went for negative yardage ended up being 2-3 yard gains because of piss poor tackling. Second down plays that should have resulted in 3rd and 8 but instead went to 3rd and 3.

Unacceptable.

As you pointed out, it's not just one guy which would point to discipline and coaching being the problem.  Off the top of my head I can remember missed tackles yesterday from the aforementioned Peko and Maualuga, Jones, Williams, and Burfict.  I'm sure the list is longer but I don't really feel like watching the game again.
Reply/Quote
yesterday was awful. Lots of over pursuit, arm tackles. That has to be coaching, as it was a strength previously.

Got to assume its going to be a point of emphasis and hopefully will improve. No-one is having a career year and we are not forcing many turnovers so we damn well need to make sure we get the fundamentals like wrap up tackling correct
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 09:17 AM)740Bengal Wrote: HOLY CRAP!!  Why in the hell can we not tackle, we looked like a undisciplined pee wee team out there who just learned how to tackle!

besides the fact they aren't playing well... When a bengals tackle someone flags get involved lol
Reply/Quote
whatever the reasons, our D looked awful in almost every aspect .

No pass rush.

Getting pushed back 3 to5 yards on most running plays.

Blown coverage

way too soft on coverage.

As bad a job on tackling as I can remember ever seeing out of a Bengals team.

Geno's play picked up but other than Geno, can anyone say anything good about how anyone else played on D.

Right now, I have no doubt we are in the bottom 5 of all defenses in the league and maybe lower.
Reply/Quote
Most of the glaring tackling problems, IMO, were the Redskins' tight ends and shiftier receivers making plays against our linebackers and safeties. If a running back jukes a lineman or a big Garcon/Crabtree/Boldin type guy runs through a smaller cornerback's tackle, that happens. The problem was a mismatch in athleticism and scheme in the second level, and I don't know that our coaching staff is willing to make any changes mid-season.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote

This!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I also think you can stick a fork in Pacman, he is done.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 12:56 PM)740Bengal Wrote: I also think you can stick a fork in Pacman, he is done.

It seems so at least thus far this season.  I think the team really misses Nelson and Hall.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

I don't know about 3 - it's possible.  But the only players on the team that have been penalized for this don't really care to change their technique.

Some of the better teams practice at a much higher tempo than we do.  I've heard that Seattle pretty much practices at full speed.  Funny that they don't have any more injuries than we do. 

And the conditioning issue does not appear to be a result of practice philosophy but the off season protocols and menus for players like Maualuga and Burfict.
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure about last game but a lot of times guys are going for the strip instead of just tackling.

Looking for that big play and whiffing/arm tackling instead.

Trying to be a hero and looking like a zero.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well considering you're practically not allowed to tackle in practice anymore it's not that surprising. But I agree that it comes down to coaching as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 01:30 PM)treee Wrote: Well considering you're practically not allowed to tackle in practice anymore it's not that surprising. But I agree that it comes down to coaching as well.

This has made missed tackling a league wide epidemic. The next CBA has to get increased practice time back. It's ruining the quality of the game.
Reply/Quote