Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we tackle?
It's truly comical watching these guys try to tackle. Whiffs everywhere. I have never seen anything like it at the pro level.

Reply/Quote
I am not an NFL football player, however, I did play pee wee football, junior high, and high school. And at all levels one thing that we were taught was to not try to tackle with just our arms. If you attempt to arm tackle, most often, someone will just run right through those arms. It's clear to see so many of our players just trying to tackle using only arms.
Reply/Quote
My guess is because someone in the organization is teaching them that aiming your forehead toward the ground and diving with your eyes closed is an excellent way to tackle.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 01:30 PM)treee Wrote: Well considering you're practically not allowed to tackle in practice anymore it's not that surprising. But I agree that it comes down to coaching as well.

This.

If I remember correctly, you get to have 14 padded practices after training camp, and even in camp you are severely limited in the amount of live practice time.  So if you don't have it nailed down during the first two weeks of TC, you aren't going to shore it up very easily.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 10:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's coaching. It's attitude. It's organizational culture.

Simply put, the Bengals aren't a tough NFL team.

That's an UNDERSTATEMENT! Sick and it won't get any better with this crew.
Reply/Quote
I can totally see Marvin telling his players (with his ever-conservative attitude) to be cautious about how they tackle to avoid penalties rather than just letting them do their thing, make the dang tackle and deal with the penalties if they get'em.

Other than that, this defense is just playing slow as crap this year. I don't know WTF has happened to them?!?!?!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 10:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's coaching. It's attitude. It's organizational culture.

Simply put, the Bengals aren't a tough NFL team.

^Bingo^

The culture here is not one which puts winning at the top. There's no accountability from top to bottom. Everyone knows they don't have to put forth maximum effort, hell the HC has been here 14 years and has yet to win a playoff game. 

The players do their own thing on the field and there are no repercussions. If they play totally undisciplined in the spotlight on camera, who do you think is really running the show at practice ?

The players have no respect for this staff ! They continue to run a sub-par RT out there. They continue to allow the penalties, the antics, the uninspired play.

Any respect Marvin had disappeared after the Pittsburgh meltdown.
Reply/Quote
Too many attempts to land the "atomic shoulder". I see this in particular with Shawn Williams. Often he will be in position to make a tackle, but instead come flying in with his arms tucked, as if trying to make his shoulder a cannon ball. From what I have observed, it works less than half of the time. Someone needs to tell him to open his arms, and wrap them around the player. If an impressive hit is landed in the process, great. If not, at least you have doubled your chances of ending the play, at that spot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 05:49 PM)Biggin1985 Wrote: I am not an NFL football player, however, I did play pee wee football, junior high, and high school.  And at all levels one thing that we were taught was to not try to tackle with just our arms.  If you attempt to arm tackle, most often, someone will just run right through those arms.  It's clear to see so many of our players just trying to tackle using only arms.

(11-01-2016, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Too many attempts to land the "atomic shoulder".  I see this in particular with Shawn Williams.  Often he will be in position to make a tackle, but instead come flying in with his arms tucked, as if trying to make his shoulder a cannon ball.  From what I have observed, it works less than half of the time.  Someone needs to tell him to open his arms, and wrap them around the player.  If an impressive hit is landed in the process, great.  If not, at least you have doubled your chances of ending the play, at that spot.

Hit, lift, and drive......elementary football.....except in Cincinnati apparently.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 08:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Too many attempts to land the "atomic shoulder".  I see this in particular with Shawn Williams.  Often he will be in position to make a tackle, but instead come flying in with his arms tucked, as if trying to make his shoulder a cannon ball.  From what I have observed, it works less than half of the time.  Someone needs to tell him to open his arms, and wrap them around the player.  If an impressive hit is landed in the process, great.  If not, at least you have doubled your chances of ending the play, at that spot.

There was a play, I believe in Washington game but may have been week before ? Where Adam Jones was in great position to make tackle on pass play for short gain. He whiffed, lowering head coming in low with the atomic shoulder. Receiver went on to gain another 10, 15 yards I do believe.

It's these kind of ESPN highlight, self serving tackle attempts that are the downfall of this team - no discipline.

There is no I in team, old saying but applies totally here.

The Cincinnati 'no accountability' Bengals
Reply/Quote
On top of the tackling issues, another thing I notice is that they rarely get any passes knocked down, no stripped balls, hardly any picks.... it's like this defense has totally forgotten how to play and it's putting the team in a huge bind this season.
Reply/Quote