Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why couldn’t we keep the momentum going after the 2006 season?
Cuz of Marvin
Reply/Quote
Isn’t that the year we were playing DBs and defensive linemen at LB because we didn’t have any
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 12:01 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Thought the same.  Some people just love to wallow in misery.  Be happy for the team's success and we, the fans, who support the team.  How is that a bad thing?

I didn't start the thread, but I'll offer a response that represents a number of people here.  Some of us like to discuss the team's history, and that's naturally going to involve some less than positive aspects.  For us, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the current state of affairs.  

If we turn your sentiment around, are we never to discuss the team's past successes if/when we revert back to mediocrity?
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 01:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Seems silly. They’ve won 5 playoff games the last couple years ( including beating top tier teams like KC & BUF), went to a Super Bowl, and didn’t lose any real significant pieces outside of a couple safeties. Kept the whole coaching staff together, too which is unheard of when a team has this much success. Not to mention they finally addressed the OL in a real way by bringing in Cappa, Karras, and Brown.

There is really no reason to have any sense of impending dread with this team.

Sure, but that doesn't mean there isn't cause for reasonable concern either.

Will the offense be able to pick up the slack if the defense takes a step back, particularlytictularly in the postseason?  Aside from the Buffalo game, our playoff season came mostly from our defense picking up offensive slack. We may need the shoe to go on the other foot when we play Buffalo, KC, or Jacksonville.

What about Zac Taylor's playcalling? 
Reply/Quote
The answer is simple - the front office.

Back then we were loaded on offense - 3 legit WR, stud QB, RB and a phenomenal O-line. So, what did we do to improve the team and the defense? Absolutely nothing. If we had the current front office, we would have spent some money and bought in some help on the pass rush and the d-line. Those were the most frustrating years of my fandom. Even worse than the 90s because we had all the pieces in place to win a Super Bowl, but we just sat on our hands,
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 07:07 PM)Housh Wrote: We’re coming off 2 solid years and knock on wood a 3rd solid head after this coming season.

We see how we’ve built our team over the last 3 years and it seems like we’ve perfected the science of juggling talent and money.

Many ppl say that the 2005-2006 season was the best team we had under Marvin and i thought it would be fun to discuss why that team lost momentum next year and finished 8-8 and didn’t finish over .500 again until the 2009 season.

I looked at the 2006 transactions and we didn’t sign even one good free agent that off-season. We resigned a few of our starters but that was it.

Looking back it’s amazing how little we actually tried to win, under Marvin.
It almost makes you feel bad for Marvin.

Indeed.

The FO (and possibly some coaches) likely felt they had a good enough team to win since they still had Palmer, Rudi, Chad, Housh, and Henry on offense.
Whitworth, Steinbach, Williams, and Willie anchored that 2006 OL. Ghiaciuc had a year under his belt and was touted as a good prospect when he was drafted, so I don't blame PA having the expectation he should have been ready at that point to come into an already-great OL.
Defense had some pretty good players too with Smith and Geathers at DE, Adams (and next year Peko) and Thornton inside, solid LBs, and some damn good DBs in JoJo, Hall, Williams, Jackson, and Kaesviharn.

I would maybe alter the phrasing though to the bolded above - The Bengals were coming off a 11-5 season and legitimately were a Super Bowl contender if Palmer hadn't gotten hurt. The roster they had should have resulted in more wins than they did over the next few years. I don't blame them for not doing more in FA...you could argue they had a team those years that should have been winning the division almost every year, probably even gone as far as it was expected with that talent they should have won at least one playoff game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the AFC North was much better back then too.
Reply/Quote
Injuries to Levi Jones and Willie Anderson, the collapse of 2005 draft class, failure to resign Steinbach, and Mike Brown.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 05:07 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: I think the AFC North was much better back then too.

I dont think so in 2020 balt pitt and Cleveland went to playoffs,  past 2 years we had a wild card team in so last 3 years we have had 4 playoff appearances out of wild card.  From 2003 to 2007 seasons we only had 1 wild card appearances in those 5 years, even with adding an extra wild card , last 3 seasons AfC North has been better than during Palmer teams .
Reply/Quote
Numerous injuries, Chuck Bresnehan, we played a tougher schedule, Chuck Bresnehan, just bad luck, and Chuck Bresnehan.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The answer is simple - the front office.

Back then we were loaded on offense - 3 legit WR, stud QB, RB and a phenomenal O-line.  So, what did we do to improve the team and the defense?  Absolutely nothing.  If we had the current front office, we would have spent some money and bought in some help on the pass rush and the d-line.  Those were the most frustrating years of my fandom.  Even worse than the 90s because we had all the pieces in place to win a Super Bowl, but we just sat on our hands,

That's not really true.  They went out and got Dexter Jackson and Sam Adams in FA and spent three of their first four picks on D(Jonathan Joseph, Frostee Rucker, and Domata Peko).  Unfortunately, Adams had nothing left and Jackson was solid but unable to live up to the SB MVP hype.  

Really, it was injuries and off-field distractions(we had 8 different players with legal issues that year) combined with a lack of strong leadership that killed us.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The answer is simple - the front office.

Back then we were loaded on offense - 3 legit WR, stud QB, RB and a phenomenal O-line.  So, what did we do to improve the team and the defense?  Absolutely nothing.  If we had the current front office, we would have spent some money and bought in some help on the pass rush and the d-line.  Those were the most frustrating years of my fandom.  Even worse than the 90s because we had all the pieces in place to win a Super Bowl, but we just sat on our hands,

oline was good not great.. defense lead league in turnovers so decent, did not get much presser on QBs though.. i agree we probably needed to be more active in  FA we continued too much on draft picks working out, also Palmer regressed after injury which made the team go down quicker.  Very similar to 2015 which was on target to have a solid run in playoffs till Dalton got hurt then bad drafts  years  and lack of FA signings to make a difference ended that run also. 
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:07 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I didn't start the thread, but I'll offer a response that represents a number of people here.  Some of us like to discuss the team's history, and that's naturally going to involve some less than positive aspects.  For us, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the current state of affairs.  

If we turn your sentiment around, are we never to discuss the team's past successes if/when we revert back to mediocrity?

Let me make it even simpler.....you walk into your bosses office for your annual review.  All s/he wants to focus on is your faults and to continue to discuss them throughout the year.  And, s/he wants to focus on your failings from 10 years ago and constantly brings those failings up.  How 'ya feeling about yourself, your boss, your job, your company? Let's say you have a spouse who constantly nags you about your failings....ALL THE TIME! How long is it going to take before you put shoe leather up their posterior?

As has been mentioned, we've discussed Marvin, Mike Brown, Carson, Cory, Dalton, on and on and on in hundreds, if not thousands of posts.  You want to keep wallowing in that?  

This is the best Bengals team in their history.  And, some want to discuss the ones that were worse....in the past.....where there's absolutely nothing you can change about them.

So yeah...go ahead and wallow in that.  I try to stay away from all the people I know who insist on living in the past and chronically complain about it.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 11:01 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Let me make it even simpler.....you walk into your bosses office for your annual review.  All s/he wants to focus on is your faults and to continue to discuss them throughout the year.  And, s/he wants to focus on your failings from 10 years ago and constantly brings those failings up.  How 'ya feeling about yourself, your boss, your job, your company?  Let's say you have a spouse who constantly nags you about your failings....ALL THE TIME!  How long is it going to take before you put shoe leather up their posterior?

As has been mentioned, we've discussed Marvin, Mike Brown, Carson, Cory, Dalton, on and on and on in hundreds, if not thousands of posts.  You want to keep wallowing in that?  

This is the best Bengals team in their history.  And, some want to discuss the ones that were worse....in the past.....where there's absolutely nothing you can change about them.

So yeah...go ahead and wallow in that.  I try to stay away from all the people I know who insist on living in the past and chronically complain about it.

Right ThumbsUp

I don't care to talk about Bengals history in the right light. Boomer faking the entire world out with his play action. Chad Johnson's footwork, Kenny should be in HOF, Pete Johnson steam rolling defenders, whatever?

But I have little to no stomach for grinding ML, MB and not signing any free agents, Palmer and the knee, Dalton sucked, all the off field legal issues and on and on and on. For the gazillionth time.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 12:42 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Isn’t that the year we were playing DBs and defensive linemen at LB because we didn’t have any

think that was 2007 when we were signing people off the streets 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 11:01 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Let me make it even simpler.....you walk into your bosses office for your annual review.  All s/he wants to focus on is your faults and to continue to discuss them throughout the year.  And, s/he wants to focus on your failings from 10 years ago and constantly brings those failings up.  How 'ya feeling about yourself, your boss, your job, your company?  Let's say you have a spouse who constantly nags you about your failings....ALL THE TIME!  How long is it going to take before you put shoe leather up their posterior?

I don;t understand why people that don't want to discuss the past, then post a comment why they don;t which then perpetuates the topic.. I am also confused that we have a certain rule that topics should only deal with the positive nature of this team.. does that mean if the team goes south and bad, we should stop reflecting on this team... ??
Reply/Quote
There's a reason my ex is my ex. She was the same way. Always grinding about how this is wrong, or that is wrong, or how not letting her sister come live with us 10 years ago still made her mad. Like some of you, her entire family was that way. I remember telling her Father (my ex Father -in-Law) who was the same way, to take his negative BS out of my house.

I kind of feel the same way here in Jungle Noise. How much negative discussion do you need to make you feel better? Marvin's not here. Carson's not here. Odell is not here. Chad is not here. Hell, Mike Brown doesn't even get his hands into the team all that much anymore. His daughter and grandkids are doing the heavy lifting these days. And, it's all positive. What more do you want?

We've hashed out the past teams over and over and over again. Now, we're doing well and some of you still want to rehash the past over and over and over, again! When is enough...enough!!!!!!

Personally, I'm going to enjoy where we are now. And, am so positive moving forward.....well into the next decade.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:07 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I didn't start the thread, but I'll offer a response that represents a number of people here.  Some of us like to discuss the team's history, and that's naturally going to involve some less than positive aspects.  For us, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the current state of affairs.  

Last time I checked this is a forum where people can bring up topics related to the Bengals, nothing says it must be current and god forbid bring up the past that might be negative .  Then instead of just letting the topic progress , some get on the topic and act like it should not be discussed since it is about the past which might be negative.. pretty simple jut do not post then if you don;t like the topic and move on the current team and be on your way. 
Reply/Quote
1. Carson Palmer was never the "rivals Peyton Manning" QB many thought he was after 2005.
2. Our Bratkowski offense didn't take full advantage of how good Palmer actually was.
3. Marvin never got a good defense rolling until Zimmer came along.
4. The front office wasn't spending like they have recently. Their best signings were usually tier B guys, who were cheaper than the players they replaced. See Odom replacing Justin Smith or Lavernues Coles replacing TJ Houshmandzadeh.

This was also when the Steelers and Ravens were also dominating, so that's a huge factor as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

You bandy the term "wallow" about rather freely.  It's not applicable in every case.  Believe it or not, some people may be genuinely curious why things turned out as they did in the past, especially if they weren't around or paying attention at the time- as with the OP.  If this is indeed the best team in franchise history, I suppose all talk of the past is going to be labelled "misery wallowing" henceforth.  So be it.

I see many threads over the course of time that do nothing for me.  I choose not to contribute to them.  
Reply/Quote