Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did Boomer Esiasons career go south?
Was too young to remember the Boomer Esiason era with the Bengals and just wondering why his career took a big dip. Had those 2 pro bowl seasons with a trip to the Super Bowl. After those years of course the Bengals struggled obviously and his numbers just went terrible for any starting QB. You older guys were thinking we have a great young QB to build around and never happened.
Reply/Quote
Zero on camera chemistry with Phil Simms.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Zero on camera chemistry with Phil Simms.

Tongue 

Seriously, is there anyone else more wooden then those two crusty NFL guys?

I hope with Drew Brees and other NFL greats retiring they can phase out Boomer, Simms, Bradshaw.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Tongue 

Seriously, is there anyone else more wooden then those two crusty NFL guys?

I hope with Drew Brees and other NFL greats retiring they can phase out Boomer, Simms, Bradshaw.

Drew Brees is a total bore of a human being
Reply/Quote
Well for one thing the O-line went into the crapper.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Drew Brees is a total bore of a human being

Well that might be true but Romo's way of announcing and commentary at least seems "a little closer" to modern era football.

It would be nice to see a changing of the guard in broadcasting.
Reply/Quote
First off he had a bad shoulder in the Super Bowl so I always wondered how different that game would have been with a healthy Boomer.
He had some good years but I think they let the talent around him disappear. They wasted the pick on Klingler when Boomer still had some good years left in him. He played very well in limited games during his final season when he returned to Cincy in ‘97.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:24 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Was too young to remember the Boomer Esiason era with the Bengals and just wondering why his career took a big dip.  Had those 2 pro bowl seasons with a trip to the Super Bowl.  After those years of course the Bengals struggled obviously and his numbers just went terrible for any starting QB.  You older guys were thinking we have a great young QB to build around and never happened.

Boomer came back to Bengals in 1997 season and showed he could still play the game. Him and Corey Dillon were the best parts of 1997 Bengals.  Team didn't score under Jeff Blake in 1997, but Boomer started to play in mid season and team began to win. They had no defense though.  Turned out our boys in grade school were right, they said Boomer should have been starting all season. It would be like Tampa not playing Brady they added, and going with the young QB, and no Super Bowl.

I think Boomer did put up a lot of passing yards with teams he went to after 1980's Bengals. I can't say his career went south. I know the Bengals went south when he and other Super Bowl Bengals left or retired. Well, the Bengals went south when Paul Brown died, but as you say, you are too young to know that. No play-off wins since Paul Brown died. A lot of last place seasons under his son Mike Brown, the acorn who fell too far from the tree

Rumor was Boomer wanted to stay with Bengals after his very good 1997 season, but the returning veteran had some suggestions to get Bengals out of last place, and Mike Brown wasn't listening. That was the rumor in the off season of 1997 to 1998. We know Carson Palmer wanted to make suggestions to improve the team, but he felt Mike Brown wasn't listening. Both Boomer and Carson wanted to Win, and you can't blame them for that. With no playoff wins still, perhaps Mike Brown should have listened to Boomer or Carsons suggestions to improve the Bengals. I know Carson said before he left that the team chemistry was wrong, too many players who were not focused on winning on 2000 Bengals. Might have been true of 1997 Bengals. Might be true of 2020 Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:24 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Was too young to remember the Boomer Esiason era with the Bengals and just wondering why his career took a big dip.  Had those 2 pro bowl seasons with a trip to the Super Bowl.  After those years of course the Bengals struggled obviously and his numbers just went terrible for any starting QB.  You older guys were thinking we have a great young QB to build around and never happened.

Paul Brown died
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well that might be true but Romo's way of announcing and commentary at least seems "a little closer" to modern era football.

It would be nice to see a changing of the guard in broadcasting.

Romo is so awful. I get physically angry whenever he speaks.

They need to replace him so bad. Would love for Phillip Rivers to get that job, but he’s a major family man
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Romo is so awful. I get physically angry whenever he speaks.

They need to replace him so bad. Would love for Phillip Rivers to get that job, but he’s a major family man

Uh okay.

Bradshaw is the one I get so sick of that I just can't stand his shtick.

Simms acts as if he has a broomstick up his ass.
Reply/Quote

Combination of things happened.

Paul Brown died, that was the first big issue. The entire way the franchise was run changed... and as we all now know, not for the better. That started the 91 season.

After that, was the firing of Sam Wyche at the end of the 91 season who had been with Boomer since he was drafted in 84.

In 92, the team was needing an infusion of talent, and they used their fist pick on a new QB since, Shula came in and wanted his own guy. He took Klingler who was super talented, but just not ready for the NFL yet. They tossed him to the wolves mid 92 season and it really divided the locker room.

Boomer then was traded to the Jets for the 93 season and was actually a Pro Bowl player for them under Bruce Coslet and went 8-8. The Jets weren't happy with 8-8 fired Coslet and hired Pete Carroll (yes, that Pete Carroll) who was actually doing okay until the nosedive to end the season. They went from 6-5 to 6-10. 

1995, third new coach, Rich Kottie. The team was terrible and won 3 games. Traded Boomer and added Neil O'Donnell. The Jets won 1 game the next season lol.

As for Boomer, he spent a 7-9 season in Arizona before coming back to Cincy in 1997. He came in at the halfway point of the season to win 6 of the last 8 games and took the team to... 7-9. Kind of showing he never should have been let go in the first place.

So, he went from being on some good teams, to being on just absolutely dysfunctional teams with bad owners, revolving door of coaches and through all of it, he was still posting solid numbers.

At his retirement in 1997 Esiason was among the most successful quarterbacks in NFL history, finishing in the top 10 in many statistical categories

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Brown died

Rep points....3 little words sum up Bengals decline.  Paul Brown Died. 

Now are these kids on here talking TV broadcasters, I thought we were talking Boomer as an NFL QB.  He was a very good NFL QB.   He also took the field and played for Bengals, and I respect his opinions of Bengals most of time since he was down in the trenches taking the hits, not just a couch potato opinion of Bengals.  i thought the topic was Boomer the QB, not what kids think of broadcasters. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:29 PM)kevin Wrote: Rep points....3 little words sum up Bengals decline.  Paul Brown Died. 

Now are these kids on here talking TV broadcasters, I thought we were talking Boomer as an NFL QB.  He was a very good NFL QB.   He also took the field and played for Bengals, and I respect his opinions of Bengals most of time since he was down in the trenches taking the hits, not just a couch potato opinion of Bengals.  i thought the topic was Boomer the QB, not what kids think of broadcasters. 

It was a joke.

I watched Boomer in his prime.

His play action and ability to run an offense was impressive.

The NFL is a different game these days for better or worse.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It was a joke.

I watched Boomer in his prime.

His play action and ability to run an offense was impressive.

The NFL is a different game these days for better or worse.

Well it was spot on. Paul Brown died and Wyche got fired... from then on.. Boomer was cast aside.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If you want to see a QB control a game watch the Corey Dillon rookie rushing record game from 1997 on YouTube. Yes, Dillon stole the show but Boomer was amazing.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:26 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Combination of things happened.

Paul Brown died, that was the first big issue. The entire way the franchise was run changed... and as we all now know, not for the better. That started the 91 season.

After that, was the firing of Sam Wyche at the end of the 91 season who had been with Boomer since he was drafted in 84.

In 92, the team was needing an infusion of talent, and they used their fist pick on a new QB since, Shula came in and wanted his own guy. He took Klingler who was super talented, but just not ready for the NFL yet. They tossed him to the wolves mid 92 season and it really divided the locker room.

Boomer then was traded to the Jets for the 93 season and was actually a Pro Bowl player for them under Bruce Coslet and went 8-8. The Jets weren't happy with 8-8 fired Coslet and hired Pete Carroll (yes, that Pete Carroll) who was actually doing okay until the nosedive to end the season. They went from 6-5 to 6-10. 

1995, third new coach, Rich Kottie. The team was terrible and won 3 games. Traded Boomer and added Neil O'Donnell. The Jets won 1 game the next season lol.

As for Boomer, he spent a 7-9 season in Arizona before coming back to Cincy in 1997. He came in at the halfway point of the season to win 6 of the last 8 games and took the team to... 7-9. Kind of showing he never should have been let go in the first place.

So, he went from being on some good teams, to being on just absolutely dysfunctional teams with bad owners, revolving door of coaches and through all of it, he was still posting solid numbers.

At his retirement in 1997 Esiason was among the most successful quarterbacks in NFL history, finishing in the top 10 in many statistical categories

I think also he just peaked when he hit 30 and because he was not with as much talent after 29, his not so good TD to Int ratio hurt his own performance and wins
Reply/Quote
Two reasons: Munoz and Montoya.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Brown died

This... Then he went to the Jets (a franchise on par with the 1990 - current era Bengals when it comes to ineptitude).
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Romo is so awful. I get physically angry whenever he speaks.

Phillip Rivers commuted from San Diego to Los Angeles every damn day for 2 years or something. I'm pretty sure he could hop a plan once a week to be a broadcaster. His corny enthusiasm aside; Romo is one of the better NFL broadcasters going right now though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote