Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't the Bengals make Bill Walsh HC and draft Joe Montana??
(11-16-2019, 12:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh?  Why didn't they?

That was Paul Brown's second biggest mistake.

The first biggest was not putting a GM on post before passing, which let son Mikey ruin the franchise.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 04:42 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: This board has hit a new low.

Its a direct reflection of the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 04:42 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: This board has hit a new low.

What makes you say that?  Are you happy with the direction the team is going?  Should I just "shut up and allow the smart guys in control to right the ship"?  

This organization has been making grievous errors since before Mike Brown was in control.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 11:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What makes you say that?  Are you happy with the direction the team is going?  Should I just "shut up and allow the smart guys in control to right the ship"?  

This organization has been making grievous errors since before Mike Brown was in control.  

Indeed. It's been a 28 year rebuilt.

Failed experiment after failed experiment. Other NFL Teams have actual GM's hired...and fire them after failing for 3-4-5 years. Here, nope...the management variables stay the same...year after year...failure after failure.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 01:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why didn't everyone buy $100 worth of Apple stock in 2002?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/021316/if-you-had-purchased-100-apple-2002-aapl.asp

Value now would be over $13,000 for the $100 investment.

We all make different decisions for a variety of reasons, in Bengals' case their FO has mad a lot more bad decision with player selection and development based on record.

But, the fact is it is easy to cherry pick successful decisions once those decisions play out. But same people who say why not for the great outcomes rarely go back and find other bad outcomes. There a lot of guys Bengals drafted or head coaches we could have chosen that flamed out even though many fans supported them joining the team.

The butterfly effect comes in too. Like IF Walsh was the coach here, maybe he isn't successful. Hard to say.

This is a team that's only won 5 playoff games in 51 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh?  Why didn't they?

You KNOW Bengals are 1-15 over last 16 regular season games when the topic is going back 40 Years ago.   The Bengals at 0-9 need a win because this shows we have nothing to talk about.   Myself, I now see Ohio State into NFL part of schedule & no more easy games.  Penn State, at Michigan, maybe Minnesota in Big 10 Championship.  Maybe a very tough team in Championship Tourney Game 1, and another if they win and go to Championship Game.  There are no more easy games.   We see what Ohio State REALLY has now week after week in an NFL type schedule. 

Back to Bengals.  They need a win, or I may post a What If Greg Cook didn't get injured in 1969.   I feel like that cartoon dog Mister Peabody and his boy Sherman going back in history in " The Way Back Machine ".  To kids, it's an old cartoon like Mister Magoo, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, and you aren't suppose to know these old cartoons.  The cartoon dog was smarter than the boy and somehow had a " WAY BACK MACHINE ".   So the dog could time travel.  So I feel like we are in the dog's " Way Back Machine ", and that means the Bengals really need to get a win.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 09:38 AM)kevin Wrote: You KNOW Bengals are 1-15 over last 16 regular season games when the topic is going back 40 Years ago.   The Bengals at 0-9 need a win because this shows we have nothing to talk about.  

Back to Bengals.  They need a win, or I may post a What If Greg Cook didn't get injured in 1969.  

My entire point of this thread was to draw attention to the fact that the Bengals have been making bad football management decisions, and have been asking "what it", in regard to injured potential superstars, since very early in their existence.

Do the Bengals need a win?  Sure, as a fan it would make me at least feel like the players stuck on this team still have a little bit of professional pride.  However, the real problem isn't, and has never never been the players on the team.  With the exception of a very gifted few, most guys that are good enough to make it to the league are good enough to win with.  Other teams draft from the same talent pool, and develop raw talent into quality veterans.

No, the real problem is, and always has been ownership that operates as Football General Management.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In a 2006 interview,[7] Walsh claimed that during his tenure with the Bengals, Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Sounds like sour grapes to me.  I don't think paul Brown had any effect on Walsh's career.

He got an NFL job as soon as he left the Bengals.  Then the very next year he dumped the Chargers for a college head coach position.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 11:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My entire point of this thread was to draw attention to the fact that the Bengals have been making bad football management decisions, and have been asking "what it", in regard to injured potential superstars, since very early in their existence.

Do the Bengals need a win?  Sure, as a fan it would make me at least feel like the players stuck on this team still have a little bit of professional pride.  However, the real problem isn't, and has never never been the players on the team.  With the exception of a very gifted few, most guys that are good enough to make it to the league are good enough to win with.  Other teams draft from the same talent pool, and develop raw talent into quality veterans.

No, the real problem is, and always has been ownership that operates as Football General Management.  

Indeed. Like the defense. I've posted stats that show it's the 3rd worst of all-time in yards per play given up.

The players on the defense aren't the 3rd worst roster ever created.

Bad management hires bad coaches who ruin players. Taylor isn't the cause of the dysfunction. He's a symptom of it. Good management would have never let an inexperienced coach put together an inexperienced staff. (And to think...some fans viewed it as good that Taylor got to pick his own staff.)

Odds that we're going to get a coach in here, that just does soo much good things that it outweighs all the mistakes made by this club...are small.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sounds like sour grapes to me.  I don't think paul Brown had any effect on Walsh's career.

He got an NFL job as soon as he left the Bengals.  Then the very next year he dumped the Chargers for a college head coach position.

There was definitely some bad blood between the 2 I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 12:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. Like the defense. I've posted stats that show it's the 3rd worst of all-time in yards per play given up.

The players on the defense aren't the 3rd worst roster ever created.

Bad management hires bad coaches who ruin players. Taylor isn't the cause of the dysfunction. He's a symptom of it. Good management would have never let an inexperienced coach put together an inexperienced staff. (And to think...some fans viewed it as good that Taylor got to pick his own staff.)

Odds that we're going to get a coach in here, that just does soo much good things that it outweighs all the mistakes made by this club...are small.

And, even if they do find that perfect coach, he still has to deal with the player personnel handed to him by bad general management.  Even an average coach can benefit greatly from having a GM with an actual vision for a team, and a plan on how to put it together.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Plus...the coaches have to scout and be Jack's of all trades.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 01:39 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I would have thought it would have been Bill Parcells who was the greatest mentor to him.

He may have been another one, but Belichick has said so on more than one occasion and was even featured in the TV special about PB.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 09:10 PM)SladeX Wrote: "Somebody stop me!"

How about Mike inherited all Paul's worst traits and none of the best...

PB’s worst ‘traits’ had no affect on his no nonsense play to win football mind.

Yes, in hindsight, he made the biggest mistake of his career choosing Bill Johnson over Walsh to succeed him, and the bad trait of his ‘ego’ had a big part IN that mistake.
Reply/Quote