Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't we wait till this year
(04-22-2018, 11:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't know how I feel about someone evaluating a player and predicting said pick (implying he researched the player) but not even realizing he was a smaller WR? You changing your mind about a player you knew so little about doesn't really mean much to me.

Oh and let me throw out,I thought we absolutely needed him last year,our wide receivers were that bad . I waited each and every week for him to return and was mad he never could. But when it's season and you need someone to step up it's different. Go look and John Ross tape and compare it to just Calvin Ridley. There ain't no way Ross looks better then Ridley. Ridley gets the ball and he gots speed and cuts. John Ross was mostly deep balls ,not that big of a highlight reel. But in that class I wanted other guys,I just knew Ross would be the pick because of the visit.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Ridley, Mooore , Sutton and Kirk than Ross. the injury prone wide receiver. yes he was injury prone I'm college..
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:07 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I'd rather have Ridley,  Mooore , Sutton and Kirk than Ross.  the injury prone wide receiver.  yes he was injury prone I'm college..

Ty someone with some sense lol. Can you imagine if Ross did work out and we had green Ridley Ross   I think that would be so fun and probably win playoff games. We got to score like pitt or the pats to have a chance.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 11:40 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Oh and let me throw out,I thought we absolutely needed him last year,our wide receivers were that bad . I waited each and every week for him to return and was mad he never could. But when it's season and you need someone to step up it's different. Go look and John Ross tape and compare it to just Calvin Ridley. There ain't no way Ross looks better then Ridley. Ridley gets the ball and he gots speed and cuts. John Ross was mostly deep balls ,not that big of a highlight reel. But in that class I wanted other guys,I just knew Ross would be the pick because of the visit.

rec   yds   ypc    td

81   1150  14.2  17

but yeah no highlights, only caught deep balls, injury prone (missed one season, and played in 13,13 and 14 games the other years)
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:35 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: rec   yds   ypc    td

81   1150  14.2  17

but yeah no highlights, only caught deep balls, injury prone (missed one season, and played in 13,13 and 14 games the other years)

I thought he only played one season .But anyways look at his highlights their mostly slants and deep balls where he utilized his speed on the deep outs. And he doesn't have muscle like Antonio Brown they got different body types. Brown will also jump for the ball. Ross won't. Ross might be the same size as brown but he's much frailer. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 11:35 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: No I never go in debt with any guy I research ,I watch highlights and use the eye test. My eyes tricked me I thought he would be taller ,the guy looks the size of Andrew Hawkins but skinnier then him. That's what he looks like to me.

Now you’re just being silly Baby Hawk is frigging 5’7
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 05:23 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: To take a wide receiver. I know I know its hindsight. But looking at Calvin Ridley and how much he'd benefit this offense with yac,with the speed and the cuts,can you imagine him instead of lafell that gets all the targets?

Instead we got short frail john Ross plus he's quiet, and shy, looks like a teenager . He looks like he will get murdered on the field next year even if he does good to start. I don't trust him what so ever. We are back to hoping eifhurt and Ross stay healthy.haha good luck

I get the frustration with Ross's rookie season, but there have been a lot of draft picks that didn't start out of the gate very well and went on to great careers here....like TJ Houshmanzadeh and Rudi Johnson.  The latter is a good example because Rudi wasn't given much of a chance until a few years later.  I don't think the sample size on Ross is remotely fair enough to pass judgement on him, but that is your right.  

The reason we went WR last year was because of a couple reasons.  Ever since losing Marvin Jones, the Bengals had not had anyone at X receiver that could take advantage of the double teams across the field on Green.  The offense lacked a second big-play threat and someone with Ross's mercurial speed could force a defense to drop their safeties and that helps the rushing attack.  There was also a dearth of offensive tackles that were rated that highly in last year's draft.  Lastly, they had already invested in two early picks on OTs and whether you like the players or not, when they are drafted that high the team is almost forced to give multiple opportunities to see if they can be coached up and/or develop their strength in the offseason.  The jury is still out on Fisher, although Ced is a certified whiff....not all bad, as it got the Bengals to change their ridiculous scheme and give Alexander the boot.  

This year, they traded for a solid LT in Cordy Glenn, signed RT Mike Hart (not a great RT in my book, but something about his massive size and the fact that our new offensive line coach faded him twice a year and knows him...) as well as let Russell Bodine walk.  Not a bad offseason thus far.

The draft, as always, will be critical, but when it all boils down I think you will be glad they have Ross this year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 06:18 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Not buying that ,id take Ridley over Ross ,it hasn't been that good for some years ,but there's guys who ain't frail like ross,and better then lafell.

Ridley is almost the exact same size as Ross and didn't have near the production in college.  You win on the frail comment for now, based on his first season (thankfully, no one felt that way with Daqueze Dennard or WJIII) but I don't think Ridley ever played CB for Alabama...Ross did that for his team when his teammate Marcus Peters was suspended.  And he was actually quite good.  I wouldn't call him frail.  
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: We do not need a stinkin wide receiver. we have like 7 dudes that are plenty good enough. John Ross will be a roadrunner,we have Josh Malone,Cordy Core, Brandin Lafell,AJ three tight ends and a full back.What we need in linemen on both sides and then a linebacker and pick a linebacker that is a ray lewis type.go after the guy that enjoys drilling people.Get real,bengal fans,start banging these boards for WHAT we need.come on fans,get with it.You will remember what I said if they go after shit players that will be out of the league and you will be wishing we had got the blue chip studs in this draft.I want to see you fans start banging the boards day and night for player we NEED.I am watching.and also call and fax Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown about the players YOU WANT.LETS go we need your voice.

Thanks for bringing the Road Runner theme back in to my head....would love if they played this when he scored.  Or at least do the BEEP BEEP! when he makes a big grab.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwYQsZuh2CM

If you're on the highway and Road Runner goes beep beep.

Just step aside or you might end up in a heap.
Road Runner, Road Runner runs down the road all day.
Even the steelers can't make him change his ways.

Road Runner, the steelers after you.
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through.
Road Runner, the steelers after you.
Road Runner, if he catches you you're through.

That steeler is really a crazy clown,
When will he learn that he never can mow him down?
Poor little Road Runner never bothers anyone,
Just runnin' down the road's his idea of having fun.
Reply/Quote
My 89 year old dad is frail. I don't think Ross looks anything like my 89 year old dad. At 5-11 he's an inch shorter than me and most people think I'm (cough cough) tall..  Standing out there beside 6'9" linemen most anyone looks "frail"... 
I remember thinking Icky Woods looked really short on TV then I meet him in person one day right after he tore up his knee .I felt like a tiny little guy standing beside him . It might have had something to do with his extra 100 lbs of muscle or something.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 07:48 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Cody core special teams at best he sucks 

Cody Core went 4 catches for 80 yards against the Ravens last year, with no AJ Green on the field.  

As predictable as the Zampese offense was, I think if you weren't the primary target you weren't getting a look.  They actually gave Core a legitimate day of work and he looked very good.  His only real chance to play a full game with legitimate targets, and he responded.  Not bad for a 5th round rookie.  

Last year, he was injured at the start of the season and seemingly lost his opportunity.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:35 AM)fozzie11 Wrote: rec   yds   ypc    td

81   1150  14.2  17

You should have added:  Scored a TD every five times he touches the ball...including kick returns and rushing attempts.  He was a LOT of the offense at Washington.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 08:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: My 89 year old dad is frail. I don't think Ross looks anything like my 89 year old dad. At 5-11 he's an inch shorter than me and most people think I'm (cough cough) tall..  Standing out there beside 6'9" linemen most anyone looks "frail"... 
I remember thinking Icky Woods looked really short on TV then I meet him in person one day right after he tore up his knee .I felt like a tiny little guy standing beside him . It might have had something to do with his extra 100 lbs of muscle or something.. lol
I was in front of him first day of tc and I swear he's probably 5'9 at most ,I'm 5'7 . He's little. Why do you think he's injury prone and fumbled the first time hit lol. I hope the guy is good like I said I just don't trust it but everyone else seems to even the Bengals.all I know is our offense sucked since getting rid of Jones and replacing him with lafell.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 05:23 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: To take a wide receiver. I know I know its hindsight. But looking at Calvin Ridley and how much he'd benefit this offense with yac,with the speed and the cuts,can you imagine him instead of lafell that gets all the targets?

Instead we got short frail john Ross plus he's quiet, and shy, looks like a teenager . He looks like he will get murdered on the field next year even if he does good to start. I don't trust him what so ever. We are back to hoping eifhurt and Ross stay healthy.haha good luck

This is a worse year to get WR's in the Draft and a better year for Centers and O-linemen.

It might work out just right. BTW, Ross is just as buff as Antonio Brown and he might be the best WR in the NFL.

I think you will be very surprised in a great way by John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 06:50 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: At first I liked the pick I even predicted he'd be the pick. But I didn't see how small he was. I just don't trust him at all. His only year he got hurt,and was hurt first NFL year. 

An inch taller and 9 pounds heavier than the best receiver in football......
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 07:23 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: An inch taller and 9 pounds heavier than the best receiver in football......

I'm just not buying that lol NFL lies
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 06:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a worse year to get WR's in the Draft and a better year for Centers and O-linemen.

It might work out just right. BTW, Ross is just as buff as Antonio Brown and he might be the best WR in the NFL.

I think you will be very surprised in a great way by John Ross.

I don't think the OP would give him credit no matter how well he might produce this year, Nate.  His mind seems made up.  But I agree with you here.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 08:18 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I don't think the OP would give him credit no matter how well he might produce this year, Nate.  His mind seems made up.  But I agree with you here.

Probably correct, some just didn't like the pick in the first place and just have Ross written off.

I tend to want to see the guy get more than a handful of meaningful snaps once he gets healthy before i do so.

He could be exactly what we always needed, a DeSean Jackson/Antonio Brown type WR that is just too quick and
fast to cover. People that hate on him, especially his size and talk about him being slight just haven't or don't want
to do their research. He is bigger than Antonio Brown actually with bigger arms and he is faster.

John Ross is a football player, not a track guy. If he can stay healthy he could be something else.

He has tons of talent. I don't want to be on the Ross hater side. Wrong side to be on IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 08:18 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I don't think the OP would give him credit no matter how well he might produce this year, Nate.  His mind seems made up.  But I agree with you here.

I don't see how you can say that,all I said is I don't trust him at all. I wanted him in there every week last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 08:50 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I don't see how you can say that,all I said is I don't trust him at all. I wanted him in there every week last year.

That's the reason for my post.  Give the guy a chance.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote