Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?
I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years. I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes. What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.

This isn't homer vs hater. Look at the roster and coaching staff; you will be lead to the same conclusions if you are objective.
Reply/Quote
I had a lot of optimism heading into last year. My optimism was affirmed by the first team O and the D throughout preseason and much of the first half of the opening game against the Ravens. Then Eifert got hurt. We still did ok, but our early schedule was easy. Atlanta and Tennessee, I think. We got exposed in New England in Prime Time. We didn't start doing better until J. Hill started getting more carries. Losing Andre Smith didn't help things. Then AJ was either out or not 100%. We struggle, but managed to earn a playoff spot.

Eifert, MLJ, Andre, and hopefully Burfict will all be back. Let's hope they stay back. Winning a Super Bowl depends on a lot of things. Staying healthy (enough) is near the top of that list of things.

But too be perfectly honest with you, I don't think it's optimism that you're really talking about. It's closer to agreeing to be what Slavoj Zizek describes as a moron, a person who is blind to his own allegiance to some "Big Other." In our case (my case anyway), the Bengals are my Big Other. I am a total moron for them. I even allow myself to get so caught up in my fandom that I cheer and scream at the television. I spend money to buy jerseys, and hats, and jackets to wear to display my stupidity (loyalty) to the Bengals. I assume that I'm not alone in this behavior. And it's perfectly ok. It's basically harmless to have one part of your life reserved for pure stupidity. And I don't say this to be insulting. If I am, I am also insulting myself.

Winning a Super Bowl is like the orgasm we hope to experience. Either way, we're wanking. And we'll wank until we cum – or not. But the Super Bowl is the big pay off, and also an exoneration for all of those years we've gone frustrated - limp, especially in the eyes of the fans of our enemies.

So, Blitzy, none of this is rational, except for the analysis part, and from an analytical point of view, I am with you in terms of questioning Andy Dalton and Marvin. But I don't let my doubts become cynicism.

By the way, I think these Boards are beginning to feel just like home. WHO DEY!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have little hope due to Marvin and Dalton still steering the ship. The small glimmer of hope I do have comes from Hill, getting a few injured players back and hopefully some young guys taking the next step (Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Clarke and Thompson). But, I foresee another above average, squeak into the playoffs and exit in the first round again.
Reply/Quote
Because our team isn't decimated by injuries this year. Yet.
Reply/Quote
I agree, it is not homer vs hater.  None of us like having our hopes crushed time after time.  The fact that we have looked so bad in most of our playoff games adds to the frustration.  

But I think we have been addressing the playoff vs. regular season issues.  For years we have been needing a better running game.  We got Gio and Hill in the last two years.  Combine that with the quality of passing game that we showed in 2013, and I hope and expect, that we will have our most potent offense in a long time.

By the time teams get to the playoffs, roster depth becomes important.  Last year it was critical all season.  This off season we focused on the quality of the next man up.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 02:24 AM)treee Wrote: Because our team isn't decimated by injuries this year. Yet.

This. People don't like excuses and I thought the San Diego letdown was a huge one (playoffs 2014), but injuries killed them last year.

I really wanted a burner WR to "take the top off the defense". I would be surprised if Alford is that guy, but I won't count him out just because he is short. He does have decent arm length and blazing speed. Regardless, they addressed serious depth issues at the TE, offensive line, LB, and DT/DE in the offseason. Injuries will happen, but they are better prepared to deal with them heading in to this year.

I also am a believer in Dalton. That will bring ridicule, but the guy has averaged 10 wins a year with a thin roster and no running game to speak of (until the second half of last year). I think he has, by far, the best roster he has ever had to work with and the defense made some solid, veteran signings (MJ, Sims, Hawk). The fact that there are so many players in their contract year doesn't hurt, either.
Reply/Quote
I mean I am not as optimistic as I was last year, but I still think this team is more than capable of make a run past the first round. This has to be the season where we figure out if this team WANTS to win a SB or just play to get paid. I guess my reasons to be optimistic is this team has to be getting sick of the hating toward the early - and consistent - PO failures and play with a sense of urgency we don't seem to see when those big games present themselves.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years.  I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes.  What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.  

This isn't homer vs hater. Look at the roster and coaching staff; you will be lead to the same conclusions if you are objective.

I don't. I like the players, but the coaching staff has to go.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years.  I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes.  What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.  

This is because alot of people have different feeling toward the things they follow/like. The way I feel about this team is not = to the way bfine, fred and all those guys like and root for this team. Some people are just pure and simple Bengals fans regardless of what happens. They can be the Jags pt 2 and they would still be die-hard fans. I respect that, actually. Shows a tremendous amount of commitment. I think the same applies to the FO. While I of course ***** and moan about the FO, they are also committed to their plan. I respect that, too. Maybe one day when we run our own NFL team, then will our opinion matter.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  People don't like excuses and I thought the San Diego letdown was a huge one (playoffs 2014), but injuries killed them last year.  

They won regular season games with Sanu/Tate/Sanzenbacher as the receivers. I understand there were a few other injuries along the way, but it was definitely a disappointment that they didn't even look competitive in the playoff game. I didn't expect a win, but I also didn't want to see them looking like they weren't even trying either.

(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really wanted a burner WR to "take the top off the defense". I would be surprised if Alford is that guy, but I won't count him out just because he is short. He does have decent arm length and blazing speed. Regardless, they addressed serious depth issues at the TE, offensive line, LB, and DT/DE in the offseason. Injuries will happen, but they are better prepared to deal with them heading in to this year.

They signed Denarius Moore at WR. I don't know how amazing of a signing that will end up being, but it addressed their need to take the top off the defense.

(05-21-2015, 08:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I also am a believer in Dalton. That will bring ridicule, but the guy has averaged 10 wins a year with a thin roster and no running game to speak of (until the second half of last year). I think he has, by far, the best roster he has ever had to work with and the defense made some solid, veteran signings (MJ, Sims, Hawk). The fact that there are so many players in their contract year doesn't hurt, either.

The Bengals averaged 10 wins, not Andy. Let's not forget that this is the ultimate team game that we're talking about here.

I can agree with a less than stellar running game for the first couple of years, but this team had a top 10 or even top 5 defense for Andy's first 3 years. The Bengals have also been well known to having one of the best offensive lines in the game in recent memory. They didn't have a lot of injuries in these years and they still had a top of the line defense and o-line play, so I don't know how you can complain about a "thin roster".

I'm a believer in Andy for 2015, I think he'll have a fine year, but I'm not going to make up lies about our team over the past 4 years. You can't have All-Pros at every position, but the Bengals have done a damn good job at putting together a solid roster from 2011-present time. They may have been a bit overrated in Jungle Noise over the years, but that's just homers being homers. I'm not saying it's a good team to ridicule Andy, I just refuse to say that we have a mediocre or worse team just to make Andy seem like he came in here and has been the entire reason the team has won so many games. I'll give the defense and superb ST unit a good amount of the credit for the team's accomplishments, but Andy, AJ, and company have done their part as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm usually pretty optimistic going into the year when it comes to this team. I think it just has to do with the fact that I hadn't seen any football for several months, and I'm just really pumped to see the season under way. I don't have much optimism for things getting better than what they have been though. The Bengals are the worst really good team in the league and they have been for years. They didn't shake anything up, so I don't see why people think that they'll do much better. I'm hopeful that they will, but not so optimistic.

They'll be a good team for the first 17 weeks, either way.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Because at some point some other team has to have a meltdown in the playoffs worse than us.
Reply/Quote
Having zero expectations coming into January will be freeing this time around.

Assuming we make it there yet again.
Reply/Quote
I'm not incredibly optimistic.

We are a better overall team than anyone else in our division for sure, but that doesn't mean we'll sweep. Problem with our division I never feel much better than 3-3 because Pitt/Balt are tough teams in general and Cleveland always plays so darn well at home.

AJ Green's turf toe, Burfict's knee?/head: Probably our two biggest stars on offense defense having nagging or major injuries.

Marvin Jones/Geno Atkins coming back: Hopefully a full year away and playing will bring Geno back to where he was and then I'm still worried about Jones health after he missed all of last season.

Tyler Eifert and TE's in general: I think if Healthy Eifert will be at least good if not great, but we have nothing solid behind him and he's never proven himself to be reliable.

Fortunately I feel good about Dalton, our RB stable, and our offensive line which can take injuries now with our depth.

I feel okay about the rest of the d-line's health, but most of them need to prove something besides Dunlap.

Our back 4 I feel pretty good about even though Newman isn't there to be our veteran safety net. Our S's our solid and healthy. Kirkpatrick has looked okay in limited action and Dennard can hopefully break out. I'm glad we got Jones/Hall because they are consistently reliable. I also am really excited about Josh Shaw so that gives us even more depth back there.

That's just a lot of questions to me. More than likely a lot of them won't end up badly, but there's no doubt some of those concerns will come to pass and with a tougher schedule I could see us ultimately ending up around 8-8 even though on paper and healthy we should win the division.

Hopefully Marvin and co. will surprise us again. Despite not winning a playoff game he has taken this team to the post-season several times when I wasn't sure he could get it done.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 08:48 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I don't. I like the players, but the coaching staff has to go.

^^^This^^^
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Hill and gio give me hope on offense and seeing burfict and geno both healthy on the field at the same time helps. Don't forget about the no fly zone, we should see him this year. Don't really care if we win a playoff game as long as they piss off the steelers and Ravens. Titles are overrated unless you play on the team that wins them.
Child please, kiss the baby.
Reply/Quote

They now have a running game, which they didn't have the first 3 trips to the playoffs.  If Marvin Jones and Eifert are healthy, they also have a pretty good receiving corp to go with it. Even an injured rookie like James Wright showed promise.  That gives them a balance on offense they haven't had in the Dalton/Green era.

I also like the fact that Michael Johnson is back.  He was part of some  pretty good Bengals defenses during his time here.  He allows guys like Wallace Gilberry to go back to being a rotational player. It's also reasonable to expect Geno to have a bigger impact than he did last season coming back from injury.  I also like the opportunities some of our draft picks have to contribute and draft picks from previous years to get an opportunity.  There are a couple guys who were first round picks (Kirkpatrick and Dennard) who will have an opportunity to play big minutes this year.  

Not sure how you can pretend this is the same team when it is anything but.  
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 10:15 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm not incredibly optimistic.

We are a better overall team than anyone else in our division for sure, but that doesn't mean we'll sweep. Problem with our division I never feel much better than 3-3 because Pitt/Balt are tough teams in general and Cleveland always plays so darn well at home.

I don't understand why it's so obvious we are the most skilled team in the division when we consistently perform at a lower level within the division that Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Also, as much as I hate the Steelers I can't say we are better than a team we struggle to beat that also features a top-tier QB, WR, and RB combo.

I wouldn't toss the term "best team in the division for sure" at any teams outside of the Patriots, Packers, and Colts. Heck, the Bengals didn't even win the division like teams like the Seahawks, Broncos, and Cowboys that have positions at the top considered to be threatened. Anyways, I just don't quite get how we are so SURE this team is the best in a division we can't seem to win despite our ability to do very well against anyone BUT those in the AFC North!
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 09:07 AM)djs7685 Wrote: They won regular season games with Sanu/Tate/Sanzenbacher as the receivers. I understand there were a few other injuries along the way, but it was definitely a disappointment that they didn't even look competitive in the playoff game. I didn't expect a win, but I also didn't want to see them looking like they weren't even trying either.

They signed Denarius Moore at WR. I don't know how amazing of a signing that will end up being, but it addressed their need to take the top off the defense.

The Bengals averaged 10 wins, not Andy. Let's not forget that this is the ultimate team game that we're talking about here.

I can agree with a less than stellar running game for the first couple of years, but this team had a top 10 or even top 5 defense for Andy's first 3 years. The Bengals have also been well known to having one of the best offensive lines in the game in recent memory. They didn't have a lot of injuries in these years and they still had a top of the line defense and o-line play, so I don't know how you can complain about a "thin roster".

I'm a believer in Andy for 2015, I think he'll have a fine year, but I'm not going to make up lies about our team over the past 4 years. You can't have All-Pros at every position, but the Bengals have done a damn good job at putting together a solid roster from 2011-present time. They may have been a bit overrated in Jungle Noise over the years, but that's just homers being homers. I'm not saying it's a good team to ridicule Andy, I just refuse to say that we have a mediocre or worse team just to make Andy seem like he came in here and has been the entire reason the team has won so many games. I'll give the defense and superb ST unit a good amount of the credit for the team's accomplishments, but Andy, AJ, and company have done their part as well.

They did win a game in the regular season without their full complement of weapons, but losing the heart of the defense, AJ, Jones, Eifert, Gresham, Andre, and others was just too much.

With respect to D. Moore, I don't see him making much, if any, impact.

As far as your mini-rant of "The team got 10 wins, not Dalton", and your praise of the defense: Do yourself a favor and go back and look at what the defense has done (or should I say, not done) in the four playoff losses. They were awful in every single one. Even worse than their statistical performance was the fact that in each loss, you saw an opponent go maximum protection and the Bengals defense have ZERO answer for it. No pressure whatsoever.

You seemed very defensive about my comment that the roster was "thin". I didn't mean to imply that the team had no talent, but they didn't have much depth of talent. Thin. Look at what the LB corps looked like without Burfict. What WR was able to get separation other than AJ and that was when he wasn't going against a top 5 CB. He had one of the lowest YPC running games in the entire NFL for the first three years of his career. I hardly consider a team with one top talent at WR, no running game (until Hill's emergence), and a bumbling, stumbling TE as a loaded roster.

The original question was why are you optimistic and I replied that I liked the depth that was added to the roster in key spots and Dalton has more depth at the TE position and got Marvin Jones back. I also had the audacity to complement Dalton and state my belief of what he can do in the future as reasons for my optimism.
Reply/Quote

Of course i have to agree with you to a point considering how terrible we have been
in the Playoffs under Marv and AD and we really didn't add anyone in FA that has that
fire from what i have seen.

But to also add, the running game should be much better with Hill in his 2nd year, the
Fisher pick, Andre in a contract year, Gio being used as a change of pace speller etc.

The pass rush should be much better with MJ and Sims here instead of Geathers and
Still. Hardison is intriguing and if Geno gets back to his badass self this Defense should
be back in the top 10 if not top 5.

Green, Eifert and MLJ healthy should also make a big difference in the passing game.
Reply/Quote