Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?
If not optimistic or excited for the new season why hang around.

I think everyone is optimistic whether they want to admit it or not.

At least I'd like to believe the reason will all come here is to enjoy the team.
And not just to act like somehow our opinions are facts or to create the same tired thread topics over and over again.

Hmmmm
Reply/Quote
As usual, I'm cautiously optimistic. This team is healthy and we have talent. It just comes down to Marvin actually coaching this team up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm slightly optimistic but not the same way I've been in the past.

Things to be optimisitic about.
1. Injury players coming back - AJ, M. Jones, Eifert, Bufict and Geno back to form.
2. MJ back on the Dline
3. Seeing Super Mario replace Brandon Tate - One can hope.

Honestly just going into this season hoping we make the playoffs
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly believe Hill changes everything. Think back to 2009 and the success this team had with a less talented O-line, RB and receivers. Pound the rock and use Eifert and Green. Can't see many teams stopping that when it gets rolling.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 02:24 AM)treee Wrote: Because our team isn't decimated by injuries this year. Yet.

[Image: hammer.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:40 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I have little hope due to Marvin and Dalton still steering the ship. The small glimmer of hope I do have comes from Hill, getting a few injured players back and hopefully some young guys taking the next step (Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Clarke and Thompson). But, I foresee another above average, squeak into the playoffs and exit in the first round again.

Also, I have hope several of this year's draft picks will surprise us and move the team forward. With the 2nd toughest schedule, the playoffs are by no means assured.
Reply/Quote
I'm optimistic that we will either improve from the current plateau or cut bait with Marvin and Andy.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I'm always optimistic just because this is the team I root for and its a new year.

Everyday across the globe countless things happen that have a bazillion to one odds of happening every minute of every day something incredible happens somewhere.

Just like I said in 1996. This is our year!!
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
To me it comes down to this :

If Burfict, Jones, Eifert, Geno, and AJ are all back healthy and able to play, well maybe not Burfict. At least on paper we'll have a very competitive team.

But we still have the same coaching staff that has fell flat on their faces every playoff game. Sooooo ????

I'm not overly optimistic anything is really going to change ! In fact I'm not even real super confident we even make the playoffs unless a lot of things change. 4 primetime games, 2 much better divisions we're playing compared to the south cakewalk of last season.

It's hard to put into just a few words but the heart, the attitude, the desire and such in the very core of this team has to be much different than it has been in the past. And that starts at the top, and we still have the same top.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years.  I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes.  What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.  

This isn't homer vs hater. Look at the roster and coaching staff; you will be lead to the same conclusions if you are objective.

The running game and defense appear that they will be better than last year. Signing Denarious Moore was a small move towards getting rid of the bums on the bottom of the WR depth chart. The secondary is promising. Marvin Jones is due back. Paul might make Rey expendable. And eventually, Marvin will figure out the gist of second half adjustments, and Andy won't go straight dumpster fire in January.

We have to hope.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes I think to myself it might be better to just be a homer and always excited. As the ole saying goes...ignorance is bliss.
Reply/Quote
Here's what I'm optimistic about:

- That the Bengals will win between 9-11 games.
- That Dalton is better than he played last year
- Our latest draft
- Marvin Lewis' ability to overcome adversity to make the playoffs

Here's what I'm not optimistic about:

- That the Bengals will win 12+ games or compete for a 1st round BYE
- That Dalton can become anything better than an average guy who has some really bad games
- That they'll finish with a winning division record
- Marvin's ability to get guys ready to play in January
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Every team is tied for first place in their divisions!
Seriously tho, the emphasis on the running game. Fresh talented young guys to build with on the offensive line.
No. I am not in favor of resigning Anthony Collins.
The infusion of talent with the tight end position. I must say, Wow those kids are huge!

A strong running game is a quarterbacks best friend. It also helps late in the year and coupled with a beastly defense it wins championships.

Bring on the season!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 01:02 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Sometimes I think to myself it might be better to just be a homer and always excited. As the ole saying goes...ignorance is bliss.

Well considering the season hasn't even started yet we are all ignorant as to how it will play out.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 01:02 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Sometimes I think to myself it might be better to just be a homer and always excited. As the ole saying goes...ignorance is bliss.

This kind of post annoys me.

Sure, there I things I wish they had done in FA and the draft, but overall show me a team that has retained their top talent heading in to this season while adding some veteran talent in FA and had a very successful draft.

I can't defend Marvin's postseason record, which is now, a record, but I like Hue and I think with a better LB corps this year that Paulie G. will have the defense back in the Top 10, if not the Top 5.

I would put the Bengals chances of making the playoffs around 70%. I don't know where I got that number, but here is my point: They will more than likely make the playoffs again and I believe they will have a home playoff game this year. What gets me excited is what typically wins in the playoffs the Bengals now have (really, for the first time in the Dalton-Green Era): a running game and a defense. The running game came on last year, but the defense was a dud down the stretch without Burfict and no real rotation in the front four. Both of those concerns have been addressed with the veteran Hawk and the rookie Dawson at LB as well as the return of Pat Sims and MJ.

The bottom line is that injuries can hit any team at any time, but I believe that without some major injuries that this team can do some damage in the playoffs. Once that 600lb gorilla is off their backs with their first win in the playoffs, I think they can make a run to win it all. They have the best roster they have ever had, IMHO, with talent and depth. If my being excited for my favorite sports franchise(and it isn't even close) to have a legitimate shot at winning it all makes me a homer, so be it.
Reply/Quote

So the guy who consistently picks the Bengals to have a losing season knows the truth while the people that consistently pick them to make the playoffs are "ignorant"? That's a good one.

Hill, Eifert, and Marvin Jones have never played together for the Bengals. There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
Reply/Quote
I'm more optimistic about this coming season as I was last year, we had a lot of injuries right off the bat and players trying to come back from injury. We still have some guys we don't know if they'll start the season but I think will come back and make an impact on this season, while Andy get's crap for damn near everything. I think if they (Hue) plays to his strengths we can have success this coming season. Plus we have a true run game and will have targets outside A.C (Sorry had to do it, I know it's A.J don't bash me to hard).
Be good or be good at I.T
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So the guy who consistently picks the Bengals to have a losing season knows the truth while the people that consistently pick them to make the playoffs are "ignorant"?  That's a good one.

Dude you make no sense. I never picked the Bengals to have a losing season now did I? In fact you probably need to read my original post because your response shows you either didn't read it, or have trouble reading.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 02:46 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Dude you make no sense. I never picked the Bengals to have a losing season now did I?  In fact you probably need to read my original post because your response shows you either didn't read it, or have trouble reading.

I am not talking about just this year.

Are you claiming that you have predicted the Bengals would make the playoffs each of the last four seasons? I am pretty sure I can find some posts on the other board to prove that you did not.
Reply/Quote
I'm optimistic the good old days of arguing are starting again. Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote