Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?
(05-23-2015, 02:10 PM)J24 Wrote: No Marvin Jones all year, AJ green missed 4 games, and Tyler Eifert missed all but one half of a game all year.  His numbers should be better with all those guys being healthy this season.

True, I think having these guys healthy will definitely help, although I do think Andy will be prone to throwing a few too many INT's each season.

The fact that he's among the league's best when it comes to fumbles kind of makes up for it though. Not many people take that into consideration.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 10:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I keep seeing that people want Dalton to maintain his reduced role to limit his int's, but didn't he throw 17 last year?

2011: 516 attempts - 13 int's (2.52%)
2012: 528 attempts - 16 int's (3.03%)
2013: 586 attempts - 20 int's (3.42%)
2014: 481 attempts - 17 int's (3.53%)

He will throw the same number of INT's this year as well. Perhaps a few less if we're lucky due to his offseason work with Tom House. I've always said that this team will go as far as Dalton can take them and no further. If he doesn't get hot in the playoffs, we will not see past the first round. Playoff teams especially, will make Andy beat
them. It really is as simple as that. We've got a real good team all around. Dalton has to bring it all together. There is no other way my friends.

Remember, he has to overcome Marvin's limitations as well..... Big Grin
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 04:55 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: The biggest thing for me is that they allow Dalton to be a gun-slinger. He's proven that he is going to throw interceptions and turn the ball over. So why not get him to reach his ceiling since he always hits his floor?

Dead on. Andy should be able to audible out of plays, and take shots when he sees something he feels he can beat.

I think "If we just don't turn the ball over" has never been the mantra of a Super Bowl Champion.

Although he didn't win a Super Bowl, I always remember what I learned in watching Jim Harbaugh play QB for the Colts with Ted Marchibroda as his coach. Before each game, Ted would give him a couple reminders, but then always end with the same statement: "Let 'er rip"

I love that. Go out and attack. That, IMHO, is all that is missing from this offense with the talent they should have this season. Brady and Co. have the desire to score EVERY TIME they get the ball. There is no wasted possession. Give Andy that freedom and let 'er rip....lets see if that nets a better result than the old "don't take risks".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 02:24 AM)treee Wrote: Because our team isn't decimated by injuries this year. Yet.

knock on wood Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I was excited about last years team until the injuries piled up. Considering we never really saw them play at their max potential that's enough reason for me to be optimistic. Injuries happen to every team and the "next man up" concept is great but starts losing traction when you lose so many key players.

Eifert returns
Burfict (hopefully) returns
Marvin Jones returns
Andre Smith returns
AJ Green returns
Geno could return to prime form
Leon could return to prime form

Just having the team healthy in general is enough to make me optimistic. Last year was a train wreck that started with Eifert hurting his elbow. Also younger guys obtained more experience last year that can help with their development. No reason why younger guys like Iloka, Kirkpatrick, Lamur, Hill and Bodine can't improve from last year with more notches on their belt. Bringing in Michael Johnson and a physically and mentally tough Geno leaves the door open for our d-line to return to form.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years.  I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes.  What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.  

This isn't homer vs hater. Look at the roster and coaching staff; you will be lead to the same conclusions if you are objective.

What I feel optimistic about:
1. LB depth has improved.
2. Return of MJ and the DL seems healthier and more capable. Although I would have loved it if they drafted Malcom Brown.
3. Jeremy Hill will be the starter from beginning over Bernard. That should give us 50+ more yards on the ground early on.
4. The secondary should be really nice.

What discourages me:
1. No reason to feel confident that Dalton will actually improve. He didn't improve last year (his 4th year). What makes a 5th year any better? :/ He seems quite capable of having really bad games, witness Cleveland on Thursday night and both Indy games.
2. The schedule is certainly tougher this year and the team has never won in Oakland and has a only 3 wins against the 49ers ever. Not to mention that we are going to Denver and have to play San Diego, Seattle, Arizona and Saint Louis.
3. Same owner.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 10:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I keep seeing that people want Dalton to maintain his reduced role to limit his int's, but didn't he throw 17 last year?

2011: 516 attempts - 13 int's (2.52%)
2012: 528 attempts - 16 int's (3.03%)
2013: 586 attempts - 20 int's (3.42%)
2014: 481 attempts - 17 int's (3.53%)

Yeah his INT to pass attempt ratio was something like the second highest in league starters last year.

Reply/Quote
"Why do you feel optimistic about this Bengals team relative to prior years?"

Because in prior years we didn't have Terrelle Pryor. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 08:48 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I don't. I like the players, but the coaching staff has to go.

^^^^^This!!! I think we have most of the players we need to actually win in the playoffs. We may need a player or two here or there, but for the most part, I think we are OK. The coaching staff, especially Marvin, has shown he has know idea what he is doing in the playoffs and can't get it done.

I will be hoping and rooting as always, just won't be expecting much if we make the playoffs again.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just don't see why people think this is the year that the Bengals breakthrough in the playoffs. They are for all intents and purposes the same team as the last few years.  I have little doubt that they will be a solid team in the regular season but in my eyes there is nothing for me to point to and use as a crux to argue that this team will be better.

It is frustrating as a fan to see this lackadaisical approach from the front office in regards to making changes.  What could one possibly point to and say, "Hey, that is the reason why the Bengals will win in the playoffs this season?" I just don't see it. You could make the case that this team has more question marks considering the play of Dalton last season and the inconsistencies on the defensive end.  

This isn't homer vs hater. Look at the roster and coaching staff; you will be lead to the same conclusions if you are objective.

I love how you state it is not homer or hater then go on to state that people will only be looking at it objectively if they draw the same conclusion that you have arrived at............. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 12:52 AM)BengalChris Wrote: What I feel optimistic about:
1. LB depth has improved.
2. Return of MJ and the DL seems healthier and more capable. Although I would have loved it if they drafted Malcom Brown.
3. Jeremy Hill will be the starter from beginning over Bernard. That should give us 50+ more yards on the ground early on.
4. The secondary should be really nice.

What discourages me:
1. No reason to feel confident that Dalton will actually improve. He didn't improve last year (his 4th year). What makes a 5th year any better? :/ He seems quite capable of having really bad games, witness Cleveland on Thursday night and both Indy games.
2. The schedule is certainly tougher this year and the team has never won in Oakland and has a only 3 wins against the 49ers ever. Not to mention that we are going to Denver and have to play San Diego, Seattle, Arizona and Saint Louis.
3. Same owner.

There's a good chance Burfict and M. Jones won't come all the way back.  We will need Hawk/Dawson more than people think.  

WR's weren't upgraded when we had the money to do it.  That's a shame because Andy really needs all the help he can get.  He's not a QB that can just plug in anyone and make them a superstar like Brady.

J. Hill will be the starter but I see a little bit of Chad in him and God knows that Marvin just can't control those types of players.  
It's hard to believe we've never won in Oakland.  They'll be pumped up and I see us falling flat in that game.  The other games you mentioned will all be really tough, especially the Denver game.  

Mike Brown/Katie haven't surprised me in years.  This year was nothing different.
If we make the playoffs, we'll have a damn good team, so that's the good thing.  The bad is that I don't see a Super Bowl contender until we get the QB position figured out quite frankly, whether Andy's light comes on or it's somebody else comes in here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 01:27 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I love how you state it is not homer or hater then go on to state that people will only be looking at it objectively if they draw the same conclusion that you have arrived at............. ThumbsUp

It's true....and I think for the most part the respondents agree. There isn't much reason to feel optimistic the Bengals will go deep into the playoffs this season. That was the basis of my thread and if you feel they will, then why don't you explain why instead of trying to be a comedian.

Same coach same QB and same players for the most part. Even if you include injuries many of these players were on the roster the prior year against SD and got annihilated at home. So save the sarcasm for someone else.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:29 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: It's true....and I think for the most part the respondents agree.  There isn't much reason to feel optimistic the Bengals will go deep into the playoffs this season. That was the basis of my thread and if you feel they will, then why don't you explain why instead of trying to be a comedian.

Same coach same QB and same players for the most part. Even if you include injuries many of these players were on the roster the prior year against SD and got annihilated at home.  So save the sarcasm for someone else.

What is true is that it is your opinion. Because someone sees it differently than you does not make them less objective.

We have MJ returning which will relegate Gilberry to the rotational role he should be in and was successful in. We have Atkins a year removed from injury. We have the return of Sims. While I am not a huge Sims fan he give us the best depth at the position that we have had since he left. We finally have a legit backup LB in Hawk rather than just some young guy trying to learn the NFL game. We have not seen that since Howard was here.

We have upcoming youngsters in Hill and Gio. We should see the return of a healthy Eifert, Jones, and Andre Smith. As well, as two coordinators that are not in their first season in the position with the team.

More than anything we have players that seem to understand that sooner or later something has to change. While many want to solely point to the QB and the HC it all stands that virtually every position group has had it's worst showings in the playoffs. If we are going to turn the corner than the players themselves need to go out and execute to the potential that they have the ability to execute to. I personally feel we are going to see this happen.

My opinion is no less objective as yours. Nothing comedic about that.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:29 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: It's true....and I think for the most part the respondents agree.  There isn't much reason to feel optimistic the Bengals will go deep into the playoffs this season. That was the basis of my thread and if you feel they will, then why don't you explain why instead of trying to be a comedian.

Same coach same QB and same players for the most part. Even if you include injuries many of these players were on the roster the prior year against SD and got annihilated at home.  So save the sarcasm for someone else.

M.L. has done a good job of identifying problems and correcting them.  Do you remember when we "couldn't" win on the West Coast?  When we "couldn't" beat teams with winning records.  When Marvin was accused of poor time management?  When he was accused of mismanaging the challenge flag?  I don't think he is, was, or ever will be perfect.  But he really has grown as a coach.  

Last year we had a better team with worse results, due to the injuries.  This year he is addressing the lack of enough quality depth.  

I don't see how anyone can objectively deny that the Bengals have continued to get better since he was given more control.

This is why I feel optimistic to this Bengals team relative to prior years.
Reply/Quote
Because optimism is always the better choice compared to pessimism.
Reply/Quote
This team is deep with many players either in contract years, entering their young prime or trying to keep their job. Players coming back from injuries will help the passing game and defense as well. The motto should be no excuses.
Reply/Quote