Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Geno Atkins only play on third downs?
(12-01-2020, 12:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've already said I personally think he should go ahead and go get the surgery. I'm just pointing out it is his decision. I don't believe a team can IR a player who doesn't want to be IR'd and can still play, but I'm not a contract guy.

I'm not sure on this either.
What I do remember is John Ross was put on IR his rookie year after it was discovered he was hiding an injury. Ross had posted on social media that he felt like he could still play, but he was put on IR anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure on this either.
What I do remember is John Ross was put on IR his rookie year after it was discovered he was hiding an injury. Ross had posted on social media that he felt like he could still play, but he was put on IR anyway.

Yeah, but Ross was a rookie and Atkins is a multi Pro Bowler on his 3rd contract. I suspect there is wording in there to protect his incentives for games played, working out, etc. But that's just supposition. We don't know his injury, but if he just needs something simple like a clean out or something that will not keep him from being ready day one if he has surgery after the season, they might be hard pressed to force him onto IR.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, but Ross was a rookie and Atkins is a multi Pro Bowler on his 3rd contract. I suspect there is wording in there to protect his incentives for games played, working out, etc. But that's just supposition. We don't know his injury, but if he just needs something simple like a clean out or something that will not keep him from being ready day one if he has surgery after the season, they might be hard pressed to force him onto IR.

He is gone at end of season so who cares anymore...I dont notice him more then Beldsoe or Hunt when hes out there...basically a non factor. Living in LA I watch alot of Rams games too , and holy crap Aaron Donald is a beast x 2...I recall yrs ago he was being compared to Geno....let me tell you he has way surpassed Geno at his very best. We need a guy or two like that.......true game wreckers.  
Time for fresh infusion of young talent on that Dline. Been saying that for yrs.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:44 PM)kalibengal Wrote: He is gone at end of season so who cares anymore...I dont notice him more then Beldsoe or Hunt when hes out there...basically a non factor. Living in LA I watch alot of Rams games too , and holy crap Aaron Donald is a beast x 2...I recall yrs ago he was being compared to Geno....let me tell you he has way surpassed Geno at his very best. We need a guy or two like that.......true game wreckers.  
Time for fresh infusion of young talent on that Dline. Been saying that for yrs.
Lol every team could use a guy like Donald.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Here is a couple things about Geno

1.) He is only playing 25% since he has returned and he is only playing on passing downs. So why is everyone surprised that he isn't making tackles or run stops? The guy isn't getting many opportunities to do so.
2.) He is a defensive Tackle his job #1 priority isn't to get sacks it is to collapse the pocket and make it easier for the edge players to get sacks.
3.) At the end of last season Geno had 1 QB hit in the last 6 games. However the rest of the guys in Dunlap, Lawson, and Hubbard all were playing at a high level last season and were benefiting off of Geno. This year Geno got hurt and both Hubbard and Dunlap haven't looked the same in a Bengals uniform. Geno was the missing piece for our pass rush even though the numbers do not show that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 12:44 PM)kalibengal Wrote: He is gone at end of season so who cares anymore...

He has 2 years remaining on his contract. I doubt they will unload him, and if he comes back 100% after shoulder he's still better than 90% of other DT's in the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't disagree, I'm just trying to figure out why he (and the staff) would let him keep limping along instead of just saying 'It's over. Heal up and try again next year.'

Because it is the same staff that had AJ Green on the roster all last year despite never playing... And the same staff that had Joe Mixon as day-to-day for 4 weeks before finally putting him on the IR with no return date in mind.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 01:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s a lot of money to gamble on him returning to form. Personally I don’t think it’s just a matter of an injury (might be part of it). He wasn’t particularly good last year either.

His age obviously caught up to him and hes been injured alot the last 3 years.. Damaged goods, get him out of here... These last couple Marvin guys gotta go anyway.. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 08:39 PM)Tony Wrote: His age obviously caught up to him and hes been injured alot the last 3 years.. Damaged goods, get him out of here... These last couple Marvin guys gotta go anyway.. 

He’s played in all 16 games the last 3 years.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 08:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s played in all 16 games the last 3 years.

There are alot of younger and more productive DTS out there that I think we can secure through draft or FA. Geno was great back in the dey but lets be realistic, he doesn't produce anymore ( at least for ZTs team * See Employee #43 thread on Dunlap) and needs to go. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 08:39 PM)Tony Wrote: His age obviously caught up to him and hes been injured alot the last 3 years.. Damaged goods, get him out of here... These last couple Marvin guys gotta go anyway.. 

Um... what?

Before this shoulder injury, he hadn't missed a single game in the last 6 years. He's only been injured 2 times in 11 years... 2013 and this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 09:32 PM)kalibengal Wrote: There are alot of younger and more productive DTS out there that I think we can secure through draft or FA. Geno was great back in the dey but lets be realistic, he doesn't produce anymore ( at least for ZTs team * See Employee #43 thread on Dunlap) and needs to go. 

I’d definitely like to use that money elsewhere, but I don’t think they’ll cut him (too much dead money). I’m just hopeful he has a little left in the tank. A new DC that actually knows how to use him would help...

Reply/Quote