Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does it seem to take our players a long time to learn new schemes?
It seems that our players take a long time to learn a new scheme.

Last year Austin came in...and they totally struggled to learn his scheme. Austin wasn't great, but he was an established DC from Detroit.

This year, we've seen some improvements the past few game. They blow less coverages. They also seem to set the edge a little better.

I see other teams change schemes and not take half a year for the players to learn it.

What gives?
Reply/Quote
You know, I never liked the Austin hire from day one....
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff has been turning over year after year after year. It seems like forever ago we had a coordinator last more than a year or two. Maybe I just don't remember them, but they certainly seem to come and go more often than I get up to pee at night..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good teachers produce good students. Good coaches produce good players.

I don’t think Zac Taylor or Brian Callahan have the gift of instruction but it looks like Lou Anarumo and Darrin Simmons certainly do. The special teams are terrific and the defense visibly improves every week.
Reply/Quote
We dont draft enough guys with high football IQ, we don't coach up and the players have virtually zero accountability.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:02 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We dont draft enough guys with high football IQ, we don't coach up and the players have virtually zero accountability.

I wonder if some of this is scouting guys almost solely on video?
Reply/Quote
Bad players man it's all about the players.
We played our best game at the beginning of the year then all hell broke loose after that because teams knew we couldn't play sideline to sideline. Once we released that player everything has been better.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I watch a lot of NFL games...and is it me, or do slants seem to work at a high percentage in the NFL? Seems defenses try to take away deep throws and that 7-10 yard slant is pretty wide open if you set it up right.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I watch a lot of NFL games...and is it me, or do slants seem to work at a high percentage in the NFL? Seems defenses try to take away deep throws and that 7-10 yard slant is pretty wide open if you set it up right.

Tiger  Agreed. It also seems that every other team in the NFL can run successful screens and naked bootleg passes. Bengals attempt them and rarely have success???  What gives??? 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote