Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does our defense look so bad?
(08-20-2017, 02:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No shit? This really happened? He has a smart Momma! We have a dumb owner who let him go. Should have replaced Marvin.

If Marvin Lewis is ever replaced it will be with Paul Alexander.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Marvin Lewis is ever replaced it will be with Paul Alexander.

Taking a failed program and promoting from within is not a recipe for success. We need a complete overhaul at coaching. I don't want any part of Marvin's ideology left in our organization. We need to purge!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ever since paulie took over as D coordinator each year has followed a similar trend.

Early season we are complete trash. We let teams run all over us and let teams row underneath routes all day. WTS that Paulie is a big bend but don't break type of coordinator

By week 8 it seems we finally make adjustments to improve and by weeks 14-16 we are actually a decent defense.

My question is why do we restart each season? Why can't we begin where we left off??

Perhaps our defense isn't just naturally slow starters. Perhaps they aren't being prepared for the start of the season by Guenther?

From everything I've read a defense is supposed to come together quicker than an offense.
Reply/Quote
2016 ranking:

8th in points allowed
17th in yards allowed

Despite the 8th most pass attempts by opponents, we ranked...

11th in pass yards allowed
11th fewest pass TDs allowed
4th most INTs
5th best passer rating allowed
5th in yards per attempt allowed
19th most sacks

We did have some struggles against the run...

21st in rush yards allowed
23rd in YPA allowed
13th in rush TDs allowed

---------------------------------------------------

We were better in 2015...

2nd in points allowed
11th in yards allowed

Despite the 2nd most pass attempts by opponents, we ranked...

20th in pass yards allowed
2nd fewest pass TDs allowed
3rd most INTs
5th best passer rating allowed
4th in yards per attempt allowed
9th most sacks

Against the run...

7th in rush yards allowed
22nd in YPA allowed
6th in rush TDs allowed

---------------------------------------------------------

Now looking over all of this, we've had a very solid defense. Not exactly the 2000 Ravens, but we've been outstanding against the pass, and excellent at keeping teams from scoring. So I don't think Guenther deserves all the criticism he's received, and I'm not sweating the preseason much. That said, there are things we need to improve on...

1. Pressure/Sacks. We ranked 19th last year, 9th in 2015 and dead last in 2014. This needs to get better.

2. Run defense. We have an average ranking of 21st in YPA allowed and 16th in yards allowed during Guenther's tenure.

3. Fumble recoveries. Some may laugh this off, but you shouldn't. We've ranked 27th or worse in the last 3 years, and it really hurts us in the overall turnovers category. Last year we had the 4th most INTs in the league, but finished only 19th in total turnovers forced. Why? We were dead last in the NFL with a measly 3 fumble recoveries. I'm not sure why this is, but it's definitely a trend.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 01:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Because Mike Zimmer is in Minnesota. Smirk

That's exactly where he was in '15, when we gave up the second fewest points in the league.  Mike is gone.  Get over it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I honestly thought this was a top 5 unit. I feel stupid now.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What if Burfict has signed yet because they have yet to come to terms with management? Why throw out crazy crap? Burfict has zero control of being a free agent in 2018 as he is restricted so we just tag him. If I am LB due to injury ending career, I sure don't want a 1 year guaranteed deal.

What are you talking about? Burfict will be a UFA, not RFA. He'll be free to do what he wants.

Edit - you saying restricted threw me off. In regards to the franchise tag, I would very much doubt the Bengals would tag a LB at the cost of over $14 mill when OL is practically the same and they didn't bother tagging Whitworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 10:40 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Wouldn't be the first time the D got off to a slow start. There have been a couple years recently where they started out the season giving up a ton of yards, and by the stretch run they were playing much better and near the top of the defensive rankings. 
True. 2016 is the most (obviously) recent example. My question is: WTH can't they carry over from the end of one season to the beginning of the next? It is always "go back to square one" - aka Rinse and Repeat"
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:58 PM)Derrick Wrote: True. 2016 is the most (obviously) recent example. My question is: WTH can't they carry over from the end of one season to the beginning of the next? It is always "go back to square one" - aka Rinse and Repeat"

Yup. 

I don't know about the whole carryover thing. They've never been what i would consider a dominant defense. They'll give up yards and keep opponents out of the end zone. Unlike a team like Seattle who gives up few yards and few points. Those types of teams carry over better because the players they have are better, across the board, and they don't have the weak spots that a Bengals defense has. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We are pitiful at left tackle n right end. Good thing those 2 positions arent very important
Reply/Quote
The lack of pressure is part of why we keep getting killed by TEs over the middle. Opposing QBs under no pressure just stand back there and wait and no LB can cover a modern TE for long. With that said the entire defense looked lost out there, taking bad angles and using poor tackling technique.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 08:47 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We are pitiful at left tackle n right end. Good thing those 2 positions arent very important

Think its just a coincidence they face each other in practice.[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeLFda0VEEezHMaUOmRED...knFEV0IT_2] This is how it looks once they face another team.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 02:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Marvin Lewis is ever replaced it will be with Paul Alexander.

This is a backward organization, but I doubt they're that insanely stupid.
Reply/Quote
The chances of this defense/team getting better after such a bad preseason showing against the Chiefs are about as likely as the Moon blocking the Sun from shining on the Earth

dot
dot
dot

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 01:36 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The chances of this defense/team getting better after such a bad preseason showing against the Chiefs are about as likely as the Moon blocking the Sun from shining on the Earth

dot
dot
dot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWiezmbbCQ
Reply/Quote
I suspect Burfict feels some loyalty to Marvin and Mike, since no one else wanted him....
Reply/Quote
Our Defense sucks because we won't invest high picks in any position other than CB. We've blown 2nd round picks on RB's like skittles the last 5 years, even though you can get RB's in late rounds that will shine (as we are once again seeing this preseason).

Until we invest draft capital in the Defense, they will always be overachieving 3rd and 4th round picks, and you can't rely on overachievers for ever.

Mike knows Offense sells tickets tho.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 02:33 AM)TKUHL Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWiezmbbCQ

LOL

Reply/Quote
I know everyone seems to be freaking out over the defense, but I'm not the slightest bit worried. We are going off of a very small sample size and not moving so many pieces around that I don't think we've gotten an accurate picture what our defense will look like. Plus we have been missing about every starter in our secondary so far. Our defense will be fine and should be better than last year.

The o line is the only question I have and honestly they've looked better than I expected (which isn't saying much). I'll continue to watch them closely, but expect them to continue to improve throughout the season. I think this team may get off to a bit of a rocky start with a lot of young guys contributing but by seasons end (depending on how the o line plays) should be playing pretty good football
Reply/Quote

If this actually happened, I would actually follow a different team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote