Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why doesn't Andy step up in the pocket?
Any football minds that can explain this? I just don't get it. He constantly fails to do this. BTW I'm PRO Andy, I just don't for the life of me understand it.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:52 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Any football minds that can explain this?  I just don't get it.  He constantly fails to do this.  BTW I'm PRO Andy, I just don't for the life of me understand it.

Russell Bodine.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Russell Bodine.

Allow me to clarify. Bodine was routinely pushed back into Dalton. Bodine played center. If the center is being pushed back into the QB, there is no place to step forward. 

That said, one of Dalton's weaknesses even before Bodine was pocket awareness. I wasn't joking when I said during preseason I hope Finley can help Dalton with maneuvering within the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Russell Bodine.

He’s still not doing it, and Hopkins has been a stud at Center this season.

He did step up and make a really nice throw down the middle in Seattle, but that’s one out of like 90...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s still not doing it, and Hopkins has been a stud at Center this season.

He did step up and make a really nice throw down the middle in Seattle, but that’s one out of like 90...

How long was Bodine center? 4 years? It's going to take time for him to get used to the fact that he is getting space to step up into the pocket. More so than before. And I've heard it takes longer to change bad habits into good habits than it does to develop the bad habits in the first place.
Reply/Quote
It's a reasonable question to ask. Personally, I saw 3 or 4 plays during the 49ers debacle, where Andy had the room to step up and extend the play. For whatever reason, he just looks uncomfortable in the pocket. (obviously pressure makes a difference)

But, we've also seen Andy perform well on designed roll outs, and even tuck and run for decent chunks of yardage. So, physical ability isn't part of the equation. I'm thinking that maybe he just bets on himself being able to get rid of the ball before the 1st pass rusher gets to him, that he loses sight of other options available to him in the moment.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Allow me to clarify. Bodine was routinely pushed back into Dalton. Bodine played center. If the center is being pushed back into the QB, there is no place to step forward. 

That said, one of Dalton's weaknesses even before Bodine was pocket awareness. I wasn't joking when I said during preseason I hope Finley can help Dalton with maneuvering within the pocket.

I said the same thing but included the coaches pointing out what Finley was doing.

His play in Pre-Season was unlike other QBs like say Driskel who were more mobile and ran around to make plays.

With all of the QB focused coaches on the team you'd think Finley's instincts in the pocket would be a discussion in QB meetings.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 09:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I said the same thing but included the coaches pointing out what Finley was doing.

His play in Pre-Season was unlike other QBs like say Driskel who were more mobile and ran around to make plays.

With all of the QB focused coaches on the team you'd think Finley's instincts in the pocket would be a discussion in QB meetings.

Maybe it's been brought up and maybe they've worked on it in TC and preseason and maybe Dalton just isn't able to do it when the real bullets are flying. 

Dropping back and stepping up you can teach. Pocket awareness you can't. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Because rolling out to your left as a right handed QB is clearly the superior evasive maneuver LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:52 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Any football minds that can explain this?  I just don't get it.  He constantly fails to do this.  BTW I'm PRO Andy, I just don't for the life of me understand it.

I have seen him step up in the pocket many times.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/10/17951064/film-room-andy-dalton-is-making-things-happen-for-the-bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen him step up in the pocket many times.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/10/17951064/film-room-andy-dalton-is-making-things-happen-for-the-bengals

He didn't "step up in the pocket" in any of those twitter clips. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 03:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He didn't "step up in the pocket" in any of those twitter clips. 

Well, to be fair there really wasnt a pocket to step up into in those clips.
Reply/Quote
Quote from PFF.

Quote:CINCINNATI BENGALS – ANDY DALTON

Weakness: Downfield accuracy outside of structure
Dalton has struggled to make plays outside of structure. Since the 2017 season, he has the league’s 24th-ranked grade on passes thrown at least 2.6 seconds after the snap (68.1) and ranks just 44th in completion percentage (49.7%) on such passes. With a porous offensive line, Dalton likely will have to deal outside of structure more often than most quarterbacks.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-nfl-quarterback-kryptonite-the-biggest-weakness-for-all-32-starters
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

You've seen a pocket this season?! From this O-Line? Are you sure about that?
Reply/Quote