Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why doesn't the gop run better candidates?
(09-08-2023, 12:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the GOP could wipe the floor with Biden if they picked someone other than Trump, but they're stuck with a coin flip chance because they're all convinced Trump won in 2020.  But I get it, because I voted for a ticket with 2 successful republican governors in 2016, but the GOP figured that guys like that had nothing on a celebrity and a VP they eventually wanted to hang.  Nicely done, I haven't voted for a democrat in 15 years but by all means, tell me how my inability to worship at the alter of Trump makes me misinformed. 

But this is why I should have the wisdom to tap out of political discussion...you either believe the entire universe is out to get poor innocent Trump or you're the enemy.  So it goes.

Johnson/Weld was the right pick in 2016, god forbid the GOP admit it after seeing Trump barely beat Hillary and lose to Biden.

AGREED. 100%. I’m a libertarian but the left in my opinion has lost its freaking mind. None of them care that China is buying farmland and flying spy balloons over military bases. I think people are tired of it, but Trump is so incredibly hated by over half the country, and I know MANY Republican friends who literally stay they’ll stay home if Trump isn’t the nominee. 

He lost to a corpse, almost lost to the most unlikable candidate at that time, he has no chance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 12:19 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: AGREED. 100%. I’m a libertarian but the left in my opinion has lost its freaking mind. None of them care that China is buying farmland and flying spy balloons over military bases. I think people are tired of it, but Trump is so incredibly hated by over half the country, and I know MANY Republican friends who literally stay they’ll stay home if Trump isn’t the nominee. 

He lost to a corpse, almost lost to the most unlikable candidate at that time, he has no chance. 

If you're a libertarian I sincerely hope you stop justifying and entertaining Trump's BS.  You and I are supposed to want 3 parties, and Trump and the MAGA folks are gunning to make sure we only have 1 political party.

Just seeing how the two parties collude to keep 3rd parties from upsetting their stranglehold on the country and then Trump becomes the face of the GOP and loses a legit election and cries "rigged" with no evidence and suddenly it's time to cut our political choices down to what?  1?  Oh I see, now that a guy with the R next to his name says it's unfair half of the country listens.

I'll take Biden over Trump just because a cost-of-entry characteristic of a candidate in my mind is "yes, this guy will leave office when his term is over."  I wouldn't recommend telling people to question Trump's version of reality if you are an actual member of anything but the "Trump for king" crew.  Just my 2 cents.  I need to unplug here, I'm losing my mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66755390

Well now we know why Pelosi pushed back on calls for Feinstein to resign....she plans on running again herself.

But hey, only the GOP needs better candidates, right?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 09:59 PM)basballguy Wrote: But hey, only the GOP needs better candidates, right?

They got Trump. They take the crown.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 10:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: They got Trump. They take the crown.

Uh huh.     Michelle Lujan Grisham:  “No constitutional right in my view, including my oath, is intended to be absolute.”  Her response to temporary gun ban.

Keep screaming OMB.  The Left have gone completely insane.  The constitution isn't something they cherish and care about, it's something that stands in their way.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 12:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If you're a libertarian I sincerely hope you stop justifying and entertaining Trump's BS.  You and I are supposed to want 3 parties, and Trump and the MAGA folks are gunning to make sure we only have 1 political party.

I’ve voted 3 times in my life for third party. MAGA doesn’t care if there’s a 2nd party, but they’re not pushing for it, they just REALLY like Trump. For the record, even though I’d like a third party, we’re just not set up that way, for better or for worse. You do have to acknowledge that the two party system turned us into a powerhouse within a few decades. There’s something to be said about that.

I’m not justifying Trump’s rhetoric. He’s a toddler and the way he conducted himself even in the first Republican debate was an embarrassment. Who talks about penis size and hand size in a debate? He brought down the professionalism of the office. That, I’m sure we can agree on. That being said, Trump has conducted himself much more professionally, at least in the Tucker interview. I know, that’s not saying much, but it’s something.

I care about Trump’s policies. For all the Russia crap people made up, he was way harder on Russia than Obama was. Why I’m voting Trump: I care about strong borders, limited federal government, energy independence. I care about not putting trans crap in the kids’ section at Target. If someone’s trans, great. But don’t confuse the shit out of 6 year olds. It’s a problem when my girlfriend’s kid comes home and thinks she’s trans, and her best friend is “trans” too. I care about holding the psychotic woke left accountable for… being psychotic, instead of just letting them go off the deep end with impunity. I care about merit based things and diversity of ideas as opposed to skin color. I don’t care about abortion (I don’t think Trump does either, btw) or religion (again, you can’t tell me Trump is actually a Christian). I’m pro gay marriage. Legalization of drugs… not sure… but that’s because I’m in recovery. All in all, no matter who the candidate is, the left is going to paint them out as a racist bigot anyway, even if it’s Tim Scott (I wish, but he’s got no shot). That’s how ridiculous they’ve become.

As much as I hate that he’s the candidate, it’s a no brainer for me. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:41 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I’ve voted 3 times in my life for third party. MAGA doesn’t care if there’s a 2nd party, but they’re not pushing for it, they just REALLY like Trump.

I'd argue with the way the GOP dismissed folks like Liz Cheney that MAGA only wants 1 party, and only wants 1 person's fantasy narrative to be acknowledged. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd argue with the way the GOP dismissed folks like Liz Cheney that MAGA only wants 1 party, and only wants 1 person's fantasy narrative to be acknowledged. 

Ahhh, I see what you’re saying now. Certainly MAGA is condemning Republicans who don’t want Trump to run (me, because he won’t win) as “RINOs” and would rather lose the election than get a Republican not named Trump in office. It’s kind of ridiculous. They hate the democrats but for the most part I think the right doesn’t want to go the one party route. The ones like me miss the actual liberals (Clinton, Gore, and people like Bill Maher), and they/I think that the left has gone too far left to be acceptable at this point. When Elon Musk is considered far right by a good amount of the party, when Bill Maher has “gone far right” even though he’s saying the exact same stuff he’s been saying for 20 years, it’s over, IMO. No saving them. They went too far left too fast.

Actually most MAGA people who are smart enough to know what it means, believe in the “uniparty” as part of the deep state. RINOs and democrats are the same to them. Which is absolutely ridiculous to me. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/politics/mitt-romney-not-running-reelection/index.html

Romney not running again (unlike the power hungry democrats) and also says it's time for fresh candidates.

this thread might need to be retitled to ask the same question about democrats
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 03:29 PM)basballguy Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/politics/mitt-romney-not-running-reelection/index.html

Romney not running again (unlike the power hungry democrats) and also says it's time for fresh candidates.

Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, 89, is running for re-election for another 6 year term. It’s not just Democrats

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 03:29 PM)basballguy Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/politics/mitt-romney-not-running-reelection/index.html

Romney realizes he's one of the next republicans on the block to be declared a RINO and given either the Cheney or the Pence treatment.  His age and freshness is irrelevant, he's just not MAGA enough to stick around.

And let's see who takes his place before we declare that the GOP traded up on this deal.  I'm not going to bat for the democrats so much as saying I'm skeptical this instance has much to do with better candidates, insofar as the quality of a GOP candidate seems to be directly linked to how much Trump ass they can kiss and how much Trump propaganda they can spread.  But there is no denying a lot of folks want that, so again "better" is a subjective term here.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2023, 12:46 AM)pally Wrote: Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, 89, is running for re-election for another 6 year term.  It’s not just Democrats

Dear lord. 89??????? 

Any Republicans in here kinda wish Tim Scott was going to get the nomination? My dream race would’ve been Tim Scott vs Andrew Yang. Yang should’ve been the dem nominee last go round (in my own little perfect world), but neither had a chance in the primary.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2023, 12:46 AM)pally Wrote: Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, 89, is running for re-election for another 6 year term.  It’s not just Democrats

I think this is old news.  He ran for reelection at the last one...so 2022?  Dude might be an an anomaly though...or full of shit.  I read he was bragging about doing 50 pushups every morning or something at his old age....which doesn't speak anything to his mind.  I can't imagine that's in good shape at near 90yo.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2023, 03:57 PM)basballguy Wrote: I think this is old news.  He ran for reelection at the last one...so 2022?  Dude might be an an anomaly though...or full of shit.  I read he was bragging about doing 50 pushups every morning or something at his old age....which doesn't speak anything to his mind.  I can't imagine that's in good shape at near 90yo.  

I met someone’s grandmother the other day who was 102. I’m not kidding, the woman is still driving. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2023, 03:32 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Dear lord. 89??????? 

Any Republicans in here kinda wish Tim Scott was going to get the nomination? My dream race would’ve been Tim Scott vs Andrew Yang. Yang should’ve been the dem nominee last go round (in my own little perfect world), but neither had a chance in the primary.

Yang had some interesting ideas, but it ultimately seemed like 95% of his stances and solutions were "spend money".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 03:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yang had some interesting ideas, but it ultimately seemed like 95% of his stances and solutions were "spend money".

True. He’s the only Dem I would vote for over Trump at this point. I really don’t like Trump and what he’s done to the Republican Party, btw.
Reply/Quote