Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't the Bengals cut players?
(03-07-2017, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Reko is a free agent.

Adam Jones is set to make $6.3 million salary this year.  Right now that has him ranked #19 among CBs.  Several other CBs are going to get more than that in free agency this year.  Adam Jones is still a good CB and will not be that grossly overpaid this year.  If you let cut him then you have $1.3 in dead money.  That means you would have to sign a better free agent CB for $5 million and that just is not going to happen.

Michael Johnson is ponly set to make $3.55 million this year.  He was a top 30 DE last season.  That makes him one of the best bargains on the team.  If you cut him you would also have $2.25 million in dead money.  It would be crazy to cut a solid starting DE to save $1.5 million.  I don't think some people understand the concept of dead money or havde any idea what other players in the league make.

It is comical that so many people are calling the Bengals "stupid" because they won't cut a DE who was top 30 in the league last year based on production to only save $1.5 million.

Maualuga's cap hit this year is $3.6 million.  I could actually see him getting released.  I think he played less than a third of the snaps last year.

IMO, Adam should no longer be a part of this team...and it has nothing to do with ability or money. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IMO, Adam should no longer be a part of this team...and it has nothing to do with ability or money. 

Exactly.  It's about answering one question--Are we serious about this shit or not?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:08 PM)McC Wrote: Exactly.  It's about answering one question--Are we serious about this shit or not?

If we are really "serious about winning" then we don't care what he does off the field, right?  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are really "serious about winning" then we don't care what he does off the field, right?  

If you're serious about winning, you can't have cancer in your midst.  If you're serious about winning, accountability matters.

What else ya got?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:03 PM)McC Wrote: Peko is coming back.  Count on it.  Spinmeister has already struck, writing about how he'll be in a mentoring role for Billings.  Translation(from Bengal dictionary)--He will be the starter.

You want him to teach?  Hire him as a coach and use whatever he would get for somebody else.  This is what the term dead weight means.

Pathetic, this is the shit that makes me depressed. Peko is old and is clearly falling off. He just takes up space now
and is a good guy in the locker room. I doubt anyone will pick him up and if someone does great. But he should be a
Crocker signing if anything come mid season in case of injury.

In the meantime have Hayes and Atkins mentor Billings and a young guy that can easily do what Peko does.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are really "serious about winning" then we don't care what he does off the field, right?  

Are you serious Fred?

If what he does off the field keeps him off the field he isn't helping right?

Plus he was bad last year anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IMO, Adam should no longer be a part of this team...and it has nothing to do with ability or money. 

Spot on

But let's keep Jones because he signed a contract and let Whit, Z and Dre walk to better contracts and with serious teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:14 PM)McC Wrote: If you're serious about winning, you can't have cancer in your midst.  If you're serious about winning, accountability matters.

What else ya got?

Who said Adam was a cancer?

"Accountability" only matters on the field if winning is all that matters.
Reply/Quote

Dude, you do realize that his off the field stuff directly relates to his availability on the field, right?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who said Adam was a cancer?

"Accountability" only matters on the field if winning is all that matters.

And he has proven that he has close to no accountability on the field as well. I swear man, sometimes you just argue to argue.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nope. When you don't hold people accountable for their off the field problems, it bleeds over to on the field problems. Example: playoff game. 

Dude is a clown and should be cut. Use the money to resign Kirkpatrick. 

How about the game this year--I think it was a Steelers game--where he gave them three first downs in a row with bone headed, hot headed plays?  He cannot be trusted to keep his composure.  Teams will turn up the heat on him, like the Steelers did, and he will explode.  His career is done.

Reply/Quote
We have two first round Corners on the roster that can replace both Kirk and Pacman. We could use that 6 million on another position like center or Wide Reciver or both.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:32 PM)McC Wrote: How about the game this year--I think it was a Steelers game--where he gave them three first downs in a row with bone headed, hot headed plays?  He cannot be trusted to keep his composure.  Teams will turn up the heat on him, like the Steelers did, and he will explode.  His career is done.

Im sure Fred will counter with "so then why dont we just cut Burfict, too?" 

Burfict is an elite level player at his position. Pacman is not. It's apples to oranges. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:35 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im sure Fred will counter with "so then why dont we just cut Burfict, too?" 

Burfict is an elite level player at his position. Pacman is not. It's apples to oranges. 

Burfict cut way down on all that last year and he also doesn't scream bloody murder at cops from the back of police cars, either.  Adam Jones need help.  He's what they call a loose cannon and nothing bout him being here next year would make it a good idea.  Too Many Chances--that's what they'll call him.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:39 PM)McC Wrote: Burfict cut way down on all that last year and he also doesn't scream bloody murder at cops from the back of police cars, either.  Adam Jones need help.  He's what they call a loose cannon and nothing bout him being here next year would make it a good idea.  Too Many Chances--that's what they'll call him.

And he was bad last year on the field...
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:35 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Burfict is an elite level player at his position. Pacman is not. It's apples to oranges. 

So your self-righteous high moral standards don't apply to really good players? 

BTW in 2015 Adam was a top 5 CB in the entire league.  He dropped off some last year, but he is not "bad" at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So your self-righteous high moral standards don't apply to really good players? 

BTW in 2015 Adam was a top 5 CB in the entire league.  He dropped off some last year, but he is not "bad" at all.

Adam was bad last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adam was bad last year.

No he was not.

He only allowed 6.1 yards per target.  I am guessing that ranks in the top 20 in the league.  I have not seen the full rankings, but for comparisons sake Dre Kirkpatrick gave up 7.0 per target in 2015 and that ranked 18th.

You can't just make something true by claiming it is true.  So what exactly are you basing your claim that Adam was "bad" last year?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he was not.

He only allowed 6.1 yards per target.  I am guessing that ranks in the top 20 in the league.  I have not seen the full rankings, but for comparisons sake Dre Kirkpatrick gave up 7.0 per target in 2015 and that ranked 18th.

You can't just make something true by claiming it is true.  So what exactly are you basing your claim that Adam was "bad" last year?

Bottom line on him is not about money or quality of play, like Holic said.  It's the simple fact that he has abused the privilege...yet again.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: Bottom line on him is not about money or quality of play, like Holic said.  It's the simple fact that he has abused the privilege...yet again.

If winning is all that matters then it does not matter as long as he plays well on the field.
Reply/Quote