Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't the Bengals make some trades?
I mean the Browns got Jarvis Landry for a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick. Our 4th and 7th round picks barely make the team let alone play and make a difference.

It's time to stop over valuing draft picks and make some trades for proven players. Especially if the window to win is now.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 11:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean the Browns got Jarvis Landry for a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick. Our 4th and 7th round picks barely make the team let alone play and make a difference.

It's time to stop over valuing draft picks and make some trades for proven players. Especially if the window to win is now.

My guess is the cap hit Jarvis Landry represents is more than what Mike Brown has in his 'budget'. Only God seems to know what whirls around between his ears, so your guess beyond this is as good as any. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
We tried to make a trade but the Browns don't know how to make trades. Duh!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 11:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean the Browns got Jarvis Landry for a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick. Our 4th and 7th round picks barely make the team let alone play and make a difference.

Robert Geathers, Domata Peko, Geno Atkins, Clint Boling, and Carl Lawson all say hello.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 11:46 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We tried to make a trade but the Browns don't know how to make trades.  Duh!

That trade was botched on purpose. The FO didn't want McCarron as much as Hue did, so they made an "oopsie!" That's coming from some of my knowledgeable Brownies.

No, not those kind of brownies, but I like the way you're thinking!  Rock On
Reply/Quote
It seemed they used to make trades years ago at rare various times.

But nowadays they are sticking to what they think is a proven method of relying on iffy drafts and bringing in low cost free agents that are more like band-aid gap players.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
We got Chris Smith in a trade just last year.

And even though we have heard about several trades recently there really are not a lot considering there are 32 teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: That trade was botched on purpose. The FO didn't want McCarron as much as Hue did, so they made an "oopsie!" That's coming from some of my knowledgeable Brownies.

You mean Browns fans who have no idea what actually is going on in the front office? Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: That trade was botched on purpose. The FO didn't want McCarron as much as Hue did, so they made an "oopsie!" That's coming from some of my knowledgeable Brownies.

I forgot this guy:   Ninja

But yes, I find it amusing the Browns keep making trades and some people think the Browns just happened to accidentally fail to make the one trade that would have sent a now FA QB to them for the low, low cost of a 2nd and what...a 3rd? 4th?  What does it matter, anyways.
Reply/Quote
We trade. And when we do we'll all have to rush to google to find out who the guy is.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Who should we have traded for?

Landry wants more money than we would pay him, and there are rumors he wasn't good in the locker room, so it wasn't going to work in the long run.

Talib or Peterson would have put Jackson and Dennard back on the bench. Again, not a benefit in the long run.

Our biggest need is Oline, and no one is moving any of those guys.

We can't make a trade just for the sake of doing so, there needs to be some thought as to who and why.
Reply/Quote

In fairness, the Bengals have made a few trades during the Lewis era like: Deltha O'neal, Brian Leonard, Reggie Nelson, Taylor Mays, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chris Smith, draft picks for Palmer, Chad, Rivers..and they did have a deal done with the Browns for McCarron until the Browns botched/backed out.

Pretty much all of those trades worked out for the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
When a legit O lineman he s moved in a trade complaints may be warranted but the things that have gone through so far don’t matter to us. A lot of fans just want movement for the sake of movement.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 01:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: When a legit O lineman he s moved in a trade complaints may be warranted but the things that have gone through so far don’t matter to us. A lot of fans just want movement for the sake of movement.

Correct, many fans just want the Bengals to make some "huge" news.  If this team were "one player away", I could see that anxiousness being warranted.  But, the truth of the matter is that this team is like half a dozen players away from being serious contenders.  Unless they were intent on doing a total makeover, ala The Jaguars last season, it wouldn't make any sense.  At this point, going "all in" on a single player in some "blockbuster" move would just be frivolous and wasteful.

The reality of the matter is that this team ain't "loaded for bear", like they were in 2015.  This team has a few stars, a few good players, and a lot of average to below roster fillers.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

$14 million for a slot WR seems a little rich to me.
Reply/Quote

If Hue wanted him so bad then why did he not wait a few more days and sign him as a free agent. The front office guy is gone from there now I think and Hue is still there. It was smoke and mirrors to keep the Bengals holding on to AJ thinking we could get a lot of draft picks for him from the Browns. They played us al the way till the end of trade deadline and left us holding an empty bag cause we got screwed in the hearing to see if AJ was going to be a free agent or not.

Never trust a division rival
Reply/Quote
It isn't about trading for the exact same players that got traded. It is about the Bengals overly passive approach to fixing problems on the team. I have to believe that had they gotten on the phones and worked them aggressively looking for either a Tackle or Center they would have been able to swing a deal for someone better than the worst LT in football and the worst C in football.
Reply/Quote

Agree there is no way they did not get that in by the deadline if really wanting to make move. 

Looks genius now by leaving their instate rival holding an empty bag.

Believe Hue was in on it as well to pay MB back from the Carson trade that got him fired in Oakland and bumped him down to QB coach.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We got Chris Smith in a trade just last year.

And even though we have heard about several trades recently there really are not a lot considering there are 32 teams in the league.

Definitely Bengals have made some trades and in all fairness not that many trades are actually made in NFL compared to say MLB. 

Still will not credit them for Carson trade per him holding a gun to their head. 

But will credit MB for raking them over the coals in the deal. Tried same tactic with AJM but it backfired in their face. 

To OP like someone already pointed out we have struck gold in 4th round several times. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 12:10 AM)Joelist Wrote: It isn't about trading for the exact same players that got traded. It is about the Bengals overly passive approach to fixing problems on the team. I have to believe that had they gotten on the phones and worked them aggressively looking for either a Tackle or Center they would have been able to swing a deal for someone better than the worst LT in football and the worst C in football.

This. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote