Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why exactly do we need John Ross to be good?
(09-26-2018, 04:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why do we NEED his speed out there? Do the Steelers have a guy that has blazing speed that just opens everything up for them? Do the Chargers? They have AB and JuJu, that's comparable to AJ and Boyd in my opinion. The Bengals also have a better tight end a better running backs. Ross' speed is a luxury. If the Bengals can't figure it out with the weapons they have (excluding Ross) than that's pathetic. 
Yes the majority of those teams have deep speed threats that help stretch the field. 
Saints- Ted Ginn
TB- Desean Jackson
LAC- Tyrell Williams and Mike Williams
Steelers-James Washington
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 05:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did we take John Ross in the top 10 so he could be a 3rd or later option that we can ignore?  I'm not ruling out John Ross and Boyd being the #1 and #2 on this team and AJ Green taking big FA money to go elsewhere.  Time will tell.

Actually yeah we did draft him to replace M.Jones who was in a similar situation.
J24

Reply/Quote
He reminds me of Jerome Simpson. He took a while for the dude to be consistent and when he was, it was too late.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 06:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Actually yeah we did draft him to replace M.Jones who was in a similar situation.

I really miss Marvin Jones, he was awesome in stripes.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 06:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Actually yeah we did draft him to replace M.Jones who was in a similar situation.

Using a top 10 pick to replace a 5th rounder we weren't going to miss?  Ouch.  Then again, our o-line is fortunate enough to have some high draft picks sitting the bench, too.  What luck. I guess that's just the kick in the arse...the Steelers have a #1 WR who was the 195th pick and we have a #whoreallycares pick that we took at 9.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 04:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think we need him to be good, but if he could figure it out with his speed, this offense would be unstoppable with Green, Boyd, Eifert and Mixon healthy.

Shoot all they need him to do is run deep routes to open up the underneath. Teams have to respect his spee.d

Lazor needs to look at film of the Rams and use Ross the way they utilize Cooks.
Reply/Quote
Ross doesn't need to be good for the offense to be good.

That said, if you want to make a SB run, you need as many "x-factor" type players as possible.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 03:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean seriously, why does he need to be good for this offense and team in general to be good?

This offense has plenty of weapons without him. AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert (who is healthy and is starting to play really well), Joe Mixon, Gio.

Any team would salivate to have those options. Any production from John Ross is icing on the cake as far as im concerned. Can you even name any other teams third option at wide receiver or does any team get production out of their third receiver like we expect Ross to get?

The top 5 offenses in the league are:

Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
New Orleans
LA Chargers

Name the third option at wide receiver for those teams. Ill wait...

You want to know who Tampa Bay's third option at receiver is? A guy named Adam Humphries. He has 6 catches for 57 yards this year.

You can't tell me that our offensive skill players: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert, and Joe Mixon are that much worse (or worse at all) than Tampa Bays: Mike Evans, Deshean Jackson, OJ Howard, Peyton Barber.

My point is is that this team isn't going to be a good team based on John Ross' production. They don't need him to be good. They need other parts of their team to be good (linebackers, offensive line, defense in general) to be a good team overall.

We all need to stop bitching about Ross because at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Let's start bitching about some parts of the team that are actually going to make a difference between the Bengals winning and losing.

The 3rd options on those other teams weren't the 9th overall pick either. It's not so much that we need him to be good, it's more why did we think we needed him when we picked him. You either love the pick or hate it, right now he's just not giving us much promise. As far as the team needing him to be good to be good is total BS. Like you said we have plenty of weapons, I'm so tierd of this team having to be loaded and everything to go perfect for us to be good. At some point if Marvin and Dalton for that matter can't get it done with the talent they have around them then it's time to move on. But we all know how that will go.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 03:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean seriously, why does he need to be good for this offense and team in general to be good?

This offense has plenty of weapons without him. AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert (who is healthy and is starting to play really well), Joe Mixon, Gio.

Any team would salivate to have those options. Any production from John Ross is icing on the cake as far as im concerned. Can you even name any other teams third option at wide receiver or does any team get production out of their third receiver like we expect Ross to get?

The top 5 offenses in the league are:

Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
New Orleans
LA Chargers

Name the third option at wide receiver for those teams. Ill wait...

You want to know who Tampa Bay's third option at receiver is? A guy named Adam Humphries. He has 6 catches for 57 yards this year.

You can't tell me that our offensive skill players: AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eiffert, and Joe Mixon are that much worse (or worse at all) than Tampa Bays: Mike Evans, Deshean Jackson, OJ Howard, Peyton Barber.  

My point is is that this team isn't going to be a good team based on John Ross' production. They don't need him to be good. They need other parts of their team to be good (linebackers, offensive line, defense in general) to be a good team overall.

We all need to stop bitching about Ross because at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Let's start bitching about some parts of the team that are actually going to make a difference between the Bengals winning and losing.

Yep. This team has an abundance of weapons. Anything Ross does is just a bonus. The problem is, not only is he not really helping...he's been hurting the team. That's the issue. 

AJ
Boyd
Mixon
Gio
Eifert
Uzomah
Kroft

Seven legit, dependable targets. There's no reason for Ross to be putting any pressure on himself. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Umm, because he is a top 10 pick in the NFL draft which "should" indicate he is a can't miss, game changing talent.

Sure we have other capable players but you don't miss on #1 draft picks (see Cleveland Browns). With Cedric O and now potentially John Ross you're talking about 2 years of shitting the bed on #1's. Hard to recover from that unless you strike gold in the later rounds. Just sayin...
Reply/Quote
No one said we need him to be good.

It just would have been nice to get some production out of a top 10 pick by now.

Just think:
He COULD have been Malik Hooker. Or Marlon Humphrey. Or Marshon Lattimore. Or Johnathan Allen. Or Derek Barnett. Or T.J. Watt. Or Tre'davious White. Or O.J. Howard. Or Ryan Ramczyk. Or, hell, even Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson.

Getting nothing out of a top 10 pick is frustrating when you look at the holes on this team.

That's not to say that we'll never get anything out of him or that he's already a bust.

But he needs to start showing something soon.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 05:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did we take John Ross in the top 10 so he could be a 3rd or later option that we can ignore? I'm not ruling out John Ross and Boyd being the #1 and #2 on this team and AJ Green taking big FA money to go elsewhere. Time will tell.

This. Top 10 draft pick better be good!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 06:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Using a top 10 pick to replace a 5th rounder we weren't going to miss?  Ouch.  Then again, our o-line is fortunate enough to have some high draft picks sitting the bench, too.  What luck.  I guess that's just the kick in the arse...the Steelers have a #1 WR who was the 195th pick and we have a #whoreallycares pick that we took at 9.

Who says we weren't going to miss Marvin Jones?
J24

Reply/Quote
The concept of having Ross flying down the field seems good in theory but unless he learns to fight for the ball, it will not work. Why do the Bengals need 3 WR with an excellent TE?

It is because the O-Line still has difficulties establishing the rush which means that a 3rd WR threat, if a genuine viable option, would soften the opposing defense somewhat. I do not know the stats of those teams you listed as top offensive teams but as of week 3 of NFL, the Bengals appear a single dimensional team and Dalton needs as many weapons to keep the chains moving. Maybe when Mixon returns, 2 WR will do. Also, AJ has to remain healthy or the offense will be in a worse position.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Boyd at his utter worst was nothing like as bad as Ross has been. Ross so far has 5 NFL catches and three turnovers. Boyd never made you dread him being targeted.
Reply/Quote
Frankly we don't need him and we don't even need him on the field to be a good offense. He doesn't run routes well enough to be a decoy. In reality, a WR who actually runs a route and catches the ball well is a better decoy because at least he's a viable option.

Ross might catch a bomb or two this season, but that doesn't really compare to a guy who can make consistent catches and yards. I'd rather we moved the chains than threw the ball up for grabs. Besides, Ross has already cost us more than he's put up.

So far this year he has 5 catches for 27 yards for a 5.7 yards per catch average. If you combine the three games he appeared in last year, he has 5 catches for 27 yards and 1 TD, 2 runs for 9 yards and 1 FUM over 6 games played. That's dismal. It's extra-dismal when you consider he's suppose to be a deep threat.

The plays I was able see from last week, Ross seemed lost and on the one INT it looked like he didn't even see the ball coming. He wasn't getting separation either. He should be getting separation by running correct routes combined with his speed. I don't get it. I don't get how he can look so bad.

I'm now hoping he's embarrassed enough that he shows up to play and puts up a good game. Of course, that's just pure hope and not based on anything I've seen with my eyes.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:13 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Who says we weren't going to miss Marvin Jones?

Right? In case I'm missing something, Marvin Jones has been balling out for a while now. I'd LOVE for him to come back here. 

To those of you who keep saying we don't need Ross on the field, I'm honestly asking.. did you watch last year? We had pretty much the exact same weapons. The difference was we had Lafell instead of Ross. Do you remember how hard it was to get our receivers open? AJ had a down year because nobody could help to get him open.

I still love the kid personally. Brings some good talent to the field, and he's played 6 games. I'm not giving up hope.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:24 PM)thillan Wrote: Right? In case I'm missing something, Marvin Jones has been balling out for a while now. I'd LOVE for him to come back here. 

To those of you who keep saying we don't need Ross on the field, I'm honestly asking.. did you watch last year? We had pretty much the exact same weapons. The difference was we had Lafell instead of Ross. Do you remember how hard it was to get our receivers open? AJ had a down year because nobody could help to get him open.

I still love the kid personally. Brings some good talent to the field, and he's played 6 games. I'm not giving up hope.

Tyler Boyd was nothing like he is this year. No Tyler Eifert at all. Hardly anything from Uzomah. Mixon wasn't a huge threat. 

The difference between last year and this year is night and day.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tyler Boyd was nothing like he is this year. No Tyler Eifert at all. Hardly anything from Uzomah. Mixon wasn't a huge threat. 

The difference between last year and this year is night and day.

So you think John's speed that is forcing the attention of the safeties in every game has done NOTHING to help Boyd? Boyd has a ton of space when he catches the ball... did he get faster? I love Boyd too and love his improvement, but he's also benefitting from John.

Tyler Kroft did pretty well as a replacement for Eifert. And Uzomah has done well, but he's not blowing the roof off. 

But again, it's fine if people want to take him off the field. We will just come back here complaining about our passing game again.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:24 PM)thillan Wrote: Right? In case I'm missing something, Marvin Jones has been balling out for a while now. I'd LOVE for him to come back here. 

Boyd was injured much of last year and played hurt when he was in there. The difference this year is the OL is pass blocking better and Boyd is fully healthy. And, we did have Ross on the field last year for a few games (he did nothing) and he was a healthy inactive for several games. He wasn't injured the whole year like he would you like you to believe.

Reply/Quote