Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why has the Super Bowl hype come and gone?
Yep. We're definitely in a prove it situation with the media.

The roster says should make a run for the playoffs but the history says can't make a run in the playoffs. Just can't stumble onto the right formula.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 12:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I remember two years ago many "experts" were picking the Bengals to not only win the AFC North, but to make the Super Bowl and win it. That team was talented, but arguably not as talented as this years current team. This years team has many of those same players mixed with a lot of younger, more athletic guys.

So, why is the Super Bowl hype not there with this team? Is it a lack of belief that the fan base and media has due to their previous playoff results? Is it a lack of belief that Andy Dalton can actually get this team to the promised land? Do people not believe in the defense as much under Gunther?

What has made people change their opinion on the Bengals from two years ago to this year, especially due to the fact that the Bengals are arguably a better team than they were two years ago?
The defense regressed last year, but with MJ back and more linebacker depth, I'm hoping they bounce back.  I do think the "experts" have given up on Andy Dalton, and that is mainly why.  I haven't given up on him but I do think this is his last year to win a playoff game.   The Bengals can walk away from his contract after this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Basically, I'm saying that if Brady and Belicheat had taken over, after the '11 season, the Bengals might have won 3 straight SB.  The roster is that good.

I think that's absurd. Maybe 1 SB ... 3 straight no.
Reply/Quote
Offense and defense both regressed. Injuries amounted. Dalton didn't take a step forward. Defense went from an elite unit to be in the 20-tier. Players we once counted on have gotten older. Guenther is not Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
Dalton, Marv, and Mike. 0 playoff wins in a quarter of a century.

There's absolutely no reason to expect this team to win a playoff game with the Big 3 still in charge. They have proven they cannot get the job done. It's not speculation. It's not sour grapes. It's fact.

Results. That's what matters. There have been none.
Reply/Quote
The media said we could win it all and we didn't win anything important 3 times in a row...what do you expect? I suppose this is a step in the right direction after the media said Carson Palmer's teams could make a Super Bowl run in 2005 and 2014 and he blew out his left ACL in response.
Reply/Quote
They realized who Andy Dalton truly was.

And this isn't a "hit" on Dalton. He's a good QB. But he isn't elite.

Remember, at the end of the 2011 season, analysts and people in general were blown away by Dalton's rookie year.

We were supposed to end the season with the #1 draft pick. Instead, we made it to the playoffs. He was elected to the pro bowl and people thought he would really break out in his second year.

After he had a better statistical year in his 2nd year, but more interceptions, they said he was a great QB who needed to cut down on his interceptions, as so many young QBs do.

Now they're pretty much over him. He's good but not great. Probably will need help to win the Superbowl.

And that isn't a very sexy pick for predicting the Superbowl winners.
Reply/Quote
The defense has played bad in the playoffs and the offense (other than 13) didn't have much talent on it, and because we played bad the last 4 years in the post season they just expect that we won't ever do good in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 08:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The defense has played bad in the playoffs and the offense (other than 13) didn't have much talent on it, and because we played baf the last 4 years in the post season they just expect that we won't ever do good in the playoffs.

It must just tear you up inside to watch a man of Dalton's immeasurable talents waste the prime of his career with such a sub-par franchise! Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
I have yet to hear a single "expert", talking head, or radio personality pick the Colts as their Super Bowl pick...and they are coming off two playoff wins and a FA period where they added a number of NFL vets looking for an opportunity to win a ring.

I think the Colts fans have a bigger argument than the Bengals who had another solid draft and added AJ Hawk. In other words, they were better to begin with and they improved more.

I can always find more than enough optimism to believe the Bengals can win it all this next year, but one of the key elements will be trying to get home field advantage. Winning a playoff game in Indy or New England would be very tough.
Reply/Quote
Lewis 0 for 6 now in the playoffs.

Dalton 0 for 4 now in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 12:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I remember two years ago many "experts" were picking the Bengals to not only win the AFC North, but to make the Super Bowl and win it. That team was talented, but arguably not as talented as this years current team. This years team has many of those same players mixed with a lot of younger, more athletic guys.

So, why is the Super Bowl hype not there with this team? Is it a lack of belief that the fan base and media has due to their previous playoff results? Is it a lack of belief that Andy Dalton can actually get this team to the promised land? Do people not believe in the defense as much under Gunther?

What has made people change their opinion on the Bengals from two years ago to this year, especially due to the fact that the Bengals are arguably a better team than they were two years ago?

Like others have said, I believe it comes down to the poor playoff games the team has had. The games haven't even been close.

Then you add to that Dalton regressing rather than progressing and you get a lack of confidence all around.

If this team can produce a playoff win in convincing fashion all attitudes about the team could change very quickly.

Reply/Quote
My Super Bowl hype is at an all-time high.

The reason it's so high? Jeremy Hill. He can run down team's throats and open things up for AJ and our other receiving threats like no one else can.

I think that Geno will return to form, and that, along with MJ being back (as well as Dunlap, Clarke, and our other ends) will improve our pass rush, and then our young corners will have great years.

My Super Bowl hype is still there, but I'm just focused on the excitement of the offseason and then the start of the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The NFL is a HC and QB driven league.  One of the two must be "elite" in order for success of the highest level can be achieved.

Basically, I'm saying that if Brady and Belicheat had taken over, after the '11 season, the Bengals might have won 3 straight SB.  The roster is that good.  It's leadership, both on the sidelines and in the huddle that is holding this team back.

This is what I've been saying for the last 2 years. It's simple. 

Coach and QB are mediocre and you won't win in the playoffs with that.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 12:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So, why is the Super Bowl hype not there with this team?

[Image: lolred_1.0.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Repect is earned, not given.....Bengals have indeed had 4 straight play-off seasons.....but no play-off wins.....

I still think Bengals can win Super Bowl in 2015 season......and they should be very motivated to want to get the label of losers off their back and become known as winners....2011 this was a very young team. They should now have some veteran team leaders from 2011 ready to take it to the next level. ......I hope the media gives them no respect and it makes the entire team angry and every player gives 110 % and that drive and that focus wins The Super Bowl.......as always, GO BENGALS
Reply/Quote
In a way I feel like the Bengals making the playoff 4 times in a row and failing to capitalize almost reduces their perceived efficacy. You have teams like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, etc. that make the playoffs on a semi-regular basis and regardless of their records the analysts are all like "Wooooh these guys can go on a tear" where the Bengals are the opposite.

It's pretty wacky to think the Bengals have almost become a lock for the playoffs but also a lock to lose in the first round. Something has to give eventually, though. Either way, it's hard to begrudge either viewpoint that they'll start winning in the playoffs, or stop getting in.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In a way I feel like the Bengals making the playoff 4 times in a row and failing to capitalize almost reduces their perceived efficacy.  You have teams like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, etc. that make the playoffs on a semi-regular basis and regardless of their records the analysts are all like "Wooooh these guys can go on a tear" where the Bengals are the opposite.

It's pretty wacky to think the Bengals have almost become a lock for the playoffs but also a lock to lose in the first round.  Something has to give eventually, though.  Either way, it's hard to begrudge either viewpoint that they'll start winning in the playoffs, or stop getting in.

If Atkins is much more healthy from his 2013 injury and the All Pro Atkins in 2015, with Dunlap and now MJ back....our D could be awesome....and if we have a healthy AJ Green, a healthy Sanu, a healthy Jones to throw to and a healthy stable of RB's in Gio and Hill......and the blocking and tackling is there.....I like our chances. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:39 PM)kevin Wrote: If Atkins is much more healthy from his 2013 injury and the All Pro Atkins in 2015, with Dunlap and now MJ back....our D could be awesome....and if we have a healthy AJ Green, a healthy Sanu, a healthy Jones to throw to and a healthy stable of RB's in Gio and Hill......and the blocking and tackling is there.....I like our chances. 

It's not impossible, but you can pretty much "if" and "should" between 10 and 15 NFL teams into the same expectations...the rest are just hopeless.
Reply/Quote
We're easy to forget considering we've been bounced from the playoffs in the first round consistently. Prisco has been hyping us up for years though.
Reply/Quote