Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why hasn't Paul Alexander been interviewed for HC?
(01-19-2016, 09:09 AM)magikod Wrote: Who would want a OL coach as your HC?

[Image: gregg_zoom.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: gregg_zoom.jpg]

So we are looking at:

Art Shell
Forrest Gregg
Mike Munchak
Joe Bugle
Tom Cable

60% of the OL hires are from 1 organization.

Munchak was an embarrassment. And the same organization just hired Mularky.

So basically Forrest Gregg was the lone quality OL hire. All of these in a much different era of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 02:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So we are looking at:

Art Shell
Forrest Gregg
Mike Munchak
Joe Bugle
Tom Cable

60% of the OL hires are from 1 organization.  

Munchak was an embarrassment.   And the same organization just hired Mularky.  

So basically Forrest Gregg was the lone quality OL hire.    All of these in a much different era of the NFL.

Andy Reid.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy Reid.

I thought he was Qb and TE coach?
Edit:
Just looked.  He was OL coach for 1 year before becoming a Qb coach in Green Bay.  

So technically he didn't go from OL to HC
Reply/Quote
Could be he does his job well in Cincinnati, he likes Cincinnati, he likes Paul's son, and he has no aspirations of being a head coach and turns down invitations for the position.

Keeping a low stress job you're good at as opposed to making a bit more money taking on a **** load more stress at a job you might suck at? Seems like a no brainer.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: For the last few years, or coordinators and assistants have been interviewed and some of even gone to other teams in usually a higher position with the new team. Considering this AND considering that our OL is viewed as one of the best in the league, why hasn't PA interviewed as HC?

Yes, I know what most of US think of the dude, but still it makes me wonder why his name is never out there for HC consideration.

I would think he would get an offer for OC before HC and if he hasnt moved on by now hes here till he retires. like Jim Anderson was
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:29 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Could be he does his job well in Cincinnati, he likes Cincinnati, he likes Paul's son, and he has no aspirations of being a head coach and turns down invitations for the position.

Keeping a low stress job you're good at as opposed to making a bit more money taking on a **** load more stress at a job you might suck at? Seems like a no brainer.

Until last season the Patriots had had the same O-line coach for 20 years.

I didn't hear anyone claim he was a bum just because he was never promoted.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Until last season the Patriots had had the same O-line coach for 20 years.

I didn't hear anyone claim he was a bum just because he was never promoted.

Scarnecchia spent 43 years coaching.
Never once rose above the same role Alexander has. (OL coach + assistant HC)

One of the most beloved coaches in NE history. 
The only difference? Overall team success. 
Reply/Quote
Being on staffs of multiple Super Bowl appearances and wins versus being a part of the second worst decade in all of professional sports history SHOULD give one an edge.......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 08:34 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Being on staffs of multiple Super Bowl appearances and wins versus being a part of the second worst decade in all of professional sports history SHOULD give one an edge.......

i dont think the OL is what was holding us back judging by how successful dillion was and most our running backs.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: gregg_zoom.jpg]

That picture brings back some great memories.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:29 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Could be he does his job well in Cincinnati, he likes Cincinnati, he likes Paul's son, and he has no aspirations of being a head coach and turns down invitations for the position.

This makes a lot of sense.  Jim McNally, the Bengals OL coach from 1980-1994, was an OL coach his entire career.  He was widely considered an outstanding OL coach. He said in an interview that he had no desire other than to coach OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 11:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i dont think the OL is what was holding us back  judging by how successful dillion was and most our running backs.

Lots of good players up front for Dillon.....ask Klingler and that group about o line play.  I honestly think he's average, and maybe a touch outdated at this point.  In other words, outside of the sarcasm I post here about the guys for laughs mostly, I see absolutely no reason to give a guy with ties to this team's dark ages a lifetime pass.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lots of good players up front for Dillon.....ask Klingler and that group about o line play.  I honestly think he's average, and maybe a touch outdated at this point.  In other words, outside of the sarcasm I post here about the guys for laughs mostly, I see absolutely no reason to give a guy with ties to this team's dark ages a lifetime pass.

I noticed you never commented on this.......

(01-19-2016, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaching the best pass protecting O-line in the entire league over the last 8 years (according to PFF)
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I noticed you never commented on this.......

I've already addressed that, to an extent.  Also, PFF has been shown to not be exactly flawless.  Palmer took a beating his last few years, so I'm not so sure about those numbers.  Also, how'd they do at run blocking......without a FB or unbalanced sets?

Reply/Quote